MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Re: Karaoke with Laptop only???

I'm trying to buy all new stuff and if I do by the occasional used disc, it'll have to in in near mint condition so I won't have any issues.

Now the special CD-Rom drive you are talking about... that includes the external drive that connects to your laptop by USB, right?

It's be kool if they had their special drive available for laptops... to be purchased separately so you could install in your laptop and replace the OE drive with the special MTU drive.
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
I'm trying to buy all new stuff and if I do by the occasional used disc, it'll have to in in near mint condition so I won't have any issues.

Now the special CD-Rom drive you are talking about... that includes the external drive that connects to your laptop by USB, right?

It's be kool if they had their special drive available for laptops... to be purchased separately so you could install in your laptop and replace the OE drive with the special MTU drive.
Yes, it is an external USB drive. It would be nice to have one that was internal...
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is an external USB drive. It would be nice to have one that was internal...
Since MTU sells laptops that have built in drives... they obviously have an internal laptop drive that works good enough with their software to be sold with their high end laptop deals.

Wonder what brand laptop drive they are using
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Since MTU sells laptops that have built in drives... they obviously have an internal laptop drive that works.
That ... I'm not sure of, but it sure sounds logical...
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Either that, or most standard CD-Rom drives will work since most of them now handle many, many formats and tasks.

I;m sure the technology has been greatly improved in the past few years.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Either that, or most standard CD-Rom drives will work since most of them now handle many, many formats and tasks.

I;m sure the technology has been greatly improved in the past few years.
Most CD drives will now handle CDG, but these drives have special software that cleans up the song and restores the graphics to near perfect.

I had one song that took the drive about 15 minutes to correct, but it came out perfectly. Normal drives will not correct the graphics.

I could not get the same song to play in a Numark CDG player!
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM

There's no software in the hardware... does MTU provide their own software for the drives they sell? If so, they may have special drivers that tweak the hardware's performance or something.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
There's no software in the hardware... does MTU provide their own software for the drives they sell? If so, they may have special drivers that tweak the hardware's performance or something.
I can't answer that specifically, all I can tell you is ... IT WORKS!

I was able to salvage well over 100 songs that I had given up for lost and some of them I had even considered buying again!
Old May 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Most of the new laptops installed cd roms will rip the cd+g and import them with no trouble. We can't really tell you to buy a particular make of computer to do this as none of them actually state they read mp3+G, some will and some won't. If you try the demo version you can test your drive with that.

You stated somewhere that you had already purchased Microstudio so if that reads and wrights CD+G then your drive is OK.

Hoster only reads the files it doesn't burn them.

MTU guarantees their drives to work as they test them before passing them on to you.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:34 PM

If the drive in mine doesn't work with reading CD+G so I can import my discs, then I'll buy the external.... or, go to the manufacturer that makes the drives you guys say work and see what kind of drives they have for laptops.

I might do that to eliminate having to have an external.
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:32 PM
VIP

Quote:
How would you know? Take up a poll, or put out a suggestion box?
I ask people all the time, what they like about the show or what they'd like to see changed. So far I get very little requests for change.

Quote:
Also, do you guys allow people to bring in their own disks if they want?
If so, do you have an actual karaoke player with a CD-Rom drive, or maybe an external CD-Rom drive if the one in your laptop won't do CD-G and/or MP3G ?
Just trying to figure out if it's a good idea to have an actual karaoke player on hand, or if I should focus solely on being able to play the occasional disk on the laptop.
Most definitely allow singers to bring in their own discs. Many more people buy their own since some of the retail box stores sell karaoke discs now days. Let them use what they are comfortable with. I have some that just bring in the instrumental only - no words.
I prefer using an external player over the one in the computer.

Quote:
I'm going to be all digital, but I wouldn't care of someone wanted to bring their own disk as long as it is a pressed disc not a CDR in an attempt to not violate any copyrights er anything.
I allow burned discs still. I know many that used to bring in their binders but showed them how to make a compilation disc of just the songs they want to sing. Also allow flashdrives.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Also allow flashdrives...
Ever get a virus on your computer from that yet?

Somebody could knowingly (or unknowingly if their computer is infected) could wreak havoc on your show by killing your computer when you plug in their flash drive and access it.

BTW, anybody know what brand of CD-Rom drives MTU sells?
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Somebody could knowingly (or unknowingly if their computer is infected) could wreak havoc on your show by killing your computer when you plug in their flash drive and access it.

Never had a virus from anyone. I have Norton and I "hope" it protects me...

The Drives are listed on their homepage. Just scroll down...
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:58 PM

I use Acronis so I never have to worry about that since I can restore my system back to an earlier time before an event happens, and unlike Windows restore Acronis always restores with 100% accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
The Drives are listed on their homepage. Just scroll down...
But, it does not tell you who the manufacturer of the hardware is... I read in some other threads that it's NEC that makes the drives MTU sells so this would be the manufacturer that they prefer that works best with their software.
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I use Acronis so I never have to worry about that since I can restore my system back to an earlier time before an event happens, and unlike Windows restore Acronis always restores with 100% accuracy.

But, it does not tell you who the manufacturer of the hardware is... I read in some other threads that it's NEC that makes the drives MTU sells so this would be the manufacturer that they prefer that works best with their software.
It doesn't matter to me who makes it ... IT WORKS!!!
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
The external USB card (like the Lexicon) is a pro quality sound card that will make an mp3 (with all it's wavy artifacts) sound a lot closer to the original recording. I have not heard a system yet that hasn't been improved in a side by side comparison that is just using the stock sound card.
What is the model name and/or number?
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:30 AM
VIP

Here's a sale on the model that Lonman is suggesting... ( I bought one a few years back, on his learned opinion & experience ) You won't be dissappointed!

http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-.../dp/B000HVXMNE

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:53 AM

Great, thanks.

I was already checking that one out from a music gear forum,
so it seems to be a fairly popular piece of equipment.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM
VIP

Quote:

I run no antivirus on my show computer as it is never connected to the internet - except for brief periods to update. Have never recieved any virues. I disabled all auto play features.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:53 AM

Many viruses can run just by plugging in a USB drive where it activates as soon as the drive gets power regardless of autoplay settings.

Acronis True Image is the best tool out there for restoring a computer back to an earlier time which takes care of viruses computers errors, etc.

Can hoster run with songs being on a different drive than the C Drive where Hoster is running from?