MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old December 29th, 2001, 12:10 PM

Question Backup Copies of CD+G

My main machine has two Yamaha CDRW2200E drives & I would like to put a CD+G in one and a blank CD in the other and copy with one mouse click. Instead, the program writes to the HD then prompts me to remove the master & insert the blank CD.

Is there any way that can be changed?

Thanks
Old December 30th, 2001, 08:25 AM

I already noted this to Bryan -- He tells me that since 'most' users don't have 2 x CDG capable readers/burners that this wasn't thought of in the current version --- Maybe in an update!

I'm using a 4416 as my reader and a 2100e as my burner -- sure like the quick burn times of the 16x burner!
Old December 30th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Post Basic logic behind our thinking on duplication...

First, we offer free support and we do provide it. Thus, we have to be careful what we "encourage" users to do technology-wise. I would estimate that 90% of our support problems are related to the one CDR/CDROM drive and ASPI drivers to make it work. Thus, to try to get 2 drives installed and working reliably is beyond reality. We would end up discontinuing Microstudio and free support if we provided 2-drive use.

Second, the majority of our market could not manage the technical aspects of 2 CDR/CDROM drives working direct disc-to-disc. Thus, it is a high risk for them, and WOULD cause great frustration to non-technical computer users. A few ask for or complain that we don't do it, but the large majority are happy to have solid disc backups being made.

Third, it is far more demanding on the computer to make a live disc to disc copy. If one byte is slow in getting to the CDR, you instantly have a plastic coaster (or frisbee as some say), instead of a usable CDG disc.

Given the time and CDR media cost to make a good backup, we take the conservative approach where we are in charge of the speeds to deliver the bytes and insure the disc is going to be written correctly. With all the variables, including cheap media that folks always try and fail with, it would be an unacceptable nightmare to use disc-to-disc copying. Sorry, but them's the facts we are working on. Even if we could raise our price to $150-$300 for Microstudio, including our support, I would have a hard time considering direct copying. It is too high a risk for the majority of our users.
Old December 30th, 2001, 06:57 PM

As Seawolf had asked for 'copy with one mouse click' --- functionallity w/2 correctly configured CDG Read/write drives -- I don't think that direct disc to disc read/write was asked for -- I know I'd be quite happy w/read to the hard drive and then automatically write to the 'writing drive' with one mouse click -- instead of having the ??? come up that requires watching the progress. -- (for those of us 'few' who have 2 x Burner's that work)

We all agree that 'solid disc backups' are our main interest, (I've been a high end member of the coaster club) but as a 'user' who has burned back-ups of CDG's for several years and has figured out the advantages of 2 x burner/readers, I'd like for a future update to possibly include the 'copy with one mouse click' function (read to hard drive 1st is fine) .

Keep up the Good Work -- The Software's Great!

Opportunities for Continued Improvements always keep Customers Satisfied!
Old December 30th, 2001, 07:43 PM

Having Used Other Products

I know that disc to disc (on the fly) duplicating is not a very stable enviroment. I used to use another prog to duplicate my discs and I have to say its a lot better to copy image than reproduce a copy - not coaster.

Be happy with taking a small amount of extra time to back up discs. Its worth it in the end. I know blank cdr are cheap now but it far out weighs the frustration of another failed attempt.