MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM

backing up cds

I have been using the import tab in microstudio to backup my cdgs. The files are approximately 35000 megs each, so I wanted to know if there is another way to back these up or a way to condense the files? Thanks.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Re: backing up cds

Microstudio does not compress.

Why not back them up to discs and put the originals up for safekeeping?

Using the hard drive as a backup is fine if you don't have a crash that requires re-formatting or a new hard drive, unless you install another hard drive to back up the back ups to.

That's taking up a lot of space on a pc that could be sitting in a storage case.

If you go the disc route, use a top quality media such as what MTU sells.

That's for the home user.

If you're planning on doing Karaoke shows, suggest you look at Hoster. It does compress and is designed feature-wise for the professional KJ to conduct shows from the pc.

Just a thought.

George
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM

I have cds I backed up from originals, but after I play them a couple times they skip or the words start overlapping. Ive been using tdk, so I will try a better quality cd.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:12 AM

The Hoster software will allow you to compress these files so they only take up about 3-8mb per song.

You can read about Hoster at: http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaoke-hoster.htm

There is also a demo located on this page that you can download and try.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Bear in mind, however, you cannot burn a cdg from Hoster, or transfer the compressed files to cdg burning software. It is strictly for playing on a PC, and provides no value for backing up purposes.

The only reason I mentioned Hoster was because I didn't know if you were planning to use Microstudio to run shows, as some have done, or were interested purely in backing up.

George
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Microstudio now allows you to import files as Bin. These are not compressed files, but from there, there are several programs (even free) that will create compressed files out of Bin files. Other programs (some even free) will be able to play these files on the computer. I am currently backing up my cds and putting these files on to data dvd's. I estimate that 360 cds will be backed-up onto about 6 DVDs. Unlike Hoster, you will be able to take the compressed files, recreate bin files, and burn Karaoke cds.

Of course, downloading these compressed files is probably not legal. However, I think that what I have described is OK.