MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:45 PM

Backup Laser disks?

Does anyone know how to backup laserdisks? I would like to put the songs onto my hard drive in a CDG format and burn those onto regular karaoke CD's.
I have the microstudio suite with a Plextor drive.
I'm not sure what device and software I would need to bring in the laserdisk songs. Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:43 PM
Honor Roll

Re: Backup Laser disks?

There are two ways of doing this:

1. Record the music from the laser discs onto your computer as a .wav file, then use KPro to create .cdg files, then burn them to your discs. The downside to this is you lose the background video.

2. The second way (and I'm not too sure how to do this) would be to somehow get the laser disc output into a video capture card, and create a VCD, of course at this point they wouldn't be .cdg files, but most players can use the VCD format...

Perhaps someone else has other solutions...

Flip
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM

i have had great success transfering to VCD with a tarapin VCD recorder. when i retired my laserdiscs i tranfered the songs that were not on any of my cdg's... and they work great.

But i also agree that ripping the music track as a .Wav file and then running KPro and manually make it a CDG would be a good idea and take alot less disc space. one vcd file is 10-15 times larger than a KMA file.
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Frequent Member

Great NEW PRODUCT

http://www.xitel.com/product_inport.htm

From Xitel call Inport.

$70.00 at Comp USA on sale this week with a $ 20.00 Rebate.

This device connects to your Output on your Amplifier. Just put in your Laster Disc and Play them. Record them right to your harddrive with the Recording Program Provided. You can record all the tracks as a single wave file and the Programs Ripper will seperate them into Tracks. The interface USB device is also some type of Filter, the Sound is Incrediable. Originally made to easily transfer Vinyl Records and Cassettes to your Hard Drive to later burn to a CD, but works great here. 30 Foot Cable is Supplied.

Then using Karaoke Home Producer, create the Lyrics and Sink them in.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:51 PM

Recording the laserdisk as a wave file and then using KHP would work but I have about 75 laserdisks. That would be a lot of work recreating all of the lyrics and sweeping them in to create CDG songs. I wish there were some other way.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geewhiz
Recording the laserdisk as a wave file and then using KHP would work but I have about 75 laserdisks. That would be a lot of work recreating all of the lyrics and sweeping them in to create CDG songs. I wish there were some other way.
In this case, the best option would be capturing both the video & audio with a capturing device. Once imported in the HD use a software to create your chapter which will be for each song and than burn on a DVD!! This way you'll keep the nice graphic behind the lyrics.

You can than use Media Player to read your finished work or a better software like WinDVD which has a good pitch.

MSI offers excellent video card for capturing and with all their free software you'll have everything you need to do the job.

Have Fun
Old July 24th, 2004, 01:10 AM

Thank you KJZone for such a nice link.

Regards,

Jon
Old July 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM

If INPORT is the same as most of the other audio capture/track splitter devices the main problem will probably be that when attempting to split the one large .wav track back into the individual song tracks, the program can't distinguish between the end of a track, and a pause in the instrumentation, resulting in a music track getting split into more than one track.

I use an Edirol Audio capture device (EDIROL UA-1A) to record the one giant .wav track to the hard drive, and then use another program called LP RIPPER http://www.cfbsoftware.com which allows you to manually check and correct each track to correctly spilt them into individual tracks.
They would still have to be swept in KHP, though.

I do it with LP's and Cassettes to archive them to cd's, and this is the only software I've found that will correct the error that a pause in the instrumentation causes, but you must do it manually. I've no exprience with INPORT. Maybe it does this also.
George
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Xitel from Inport:

This device would only be necessary in the case of a Laptop that has a poor audio chip
A desktop that uses a SB card or a good onboard audio chip has a Line In so why use a USB device for the sound???

For this amount you can get a PCI card to capture the graphic from the Laserdisk & with the line in you have all you need
Old July 24th, 2004, 12:04 PM

MLEPINE ASKED:
Quote:
A desktop that uses a SB card or a good onboard audio chip has a Line In so why use a USB device for the sound???
Since you asked:
I use a USB audio capture device because my SB card does not have dual RCA stereo inputs and outputs, and the USB device does. I tried going the Audigy card route, but that was back when Microstudio, KHP and Audigy had trouble working together. I had to jerk the audigy card out to get Microstudio to work. Bought the USB device and been doing fine ever since...
I'm sure the problem has been resolved, but have no need for the Audigy and the USB audio capture device. Does that answer your question?

George

Last edited by George; July 24th, 2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
MLEPINE ASKED:

Since you asked:
I use a USB audio capture device because my SB card does not have dual RCA stereo inputs and outputs, and the USB device does. I tried going the Audigy card route, but that was back when Microstudio, KHP and Audigy had trouble working together. I had to jerk the audigy card out to get Microstudio to work. Bought the USB device and been doing fine ever since...
I'm sure the problem has been resolved, but have no need for the Audigy and the USB audio capture device. Does that answer your question?

George
Why take it personal George
All I'm saying is why get an external audio capture device when we have one internal? The connections on the card use 1/8 so all we need is to get cables that converts female RCA to Male 1/8

Buying an external audio USB card is different but it's not what we're talking about here.

Now, let me ask you this George, why is it so hard just to express my self on this forum? Everytime I have a different view than you or some other members it's like I'm the bad guy

Why do you have the right to express your opinion with out any problems but when I come up with a different view than yours well

Also, I had the first generation of the Audigy card running with Micro 2.3 in 2002/2003 and never had problems!!
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM

MLEPINE

Now who's taking it personal? You asked a question and received an answer...that's all.

George