MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM

CD burner problems

Hi. Microstudio worked great as soon as I installed it, for a while. A couple of weeks ago, the CD part of my laptop's CDR/DVDR stopped working. DVDs of all kinds are still fine but no CDs are even recognized, not the CDR brand/lot that formerly worked, not a different brand and not even pre-recorded/purchased CDs. I have tried some obvious things, like Win/My Computer, which says the drive is working properly but shows 0 used & 0 free on CDs of all kinds. When I use Win Explorer and try to look at CDs through Exlore or Open, it causes the drive to eject.

I have even tried compressed air to clean the drive.

Any suggestions out there? I have specs, etc available.

So far, MTU Live Support has been unable to help.
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Re: CD burner problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightft85 View Post
Hi. Microstudio worked great as soon as I installed it, for a while. A couple of weeks ago, the CD part of my laptop's CDR/DVDR stopped working. DVDs of all kinds are still fine but no CDs are even recognized, not the CDR brand/lot that formerly worked, not a different brand and not even pre-recorded/purchased CDs. I have tried some obvious things, like Win/My Computer, which says the drive is working properly but shows 0 used & 0 free on CDs of all kinds. When I use Win Explorer and try to look at CDs through Exlore or Open, it causes the drive to eject.

I have even tried compressed air to clean the drive.

Any suggestions out there? I have specs, etc available.

So far, MTU Live Support has been unable to help.
Since none of your programs will read the CDs then I would say the drive has failed. CD's and DVD have different lasers in the drive for reading. My guess would be that the laser or supporting circuitry for CDs has failed. You basically have two choices. Find a replacement drive for laptops that will fit or use an external drive. You don't say how old the laptop is and whether it is under warranty, so that is an option too.
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Re: CD burner problems

Thank you, I'm starting to come to that conclusion. Prob MTU approved external in my future...