MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Transferring Complete Files to Another Computer

Well, I am thoroughly impressed with the way Hoster has allowed me to upload my old cdg/mp3 files from one external hard-drive, converts them over to KMA files, and saves them to another external hard-drive. However, have a question for those who know.
I am doing all my conversions on my desktop with the intention of uploading all the new KMA files (via external drive) to my presentation laptop. As such, would the easiest way to maintain the integrity of the songbook's association with the external drive's KMA files be by copying the MTU/Hoster folder off my "C" drive to the same folder location in the laptop's "C" drive? I would think this "mirror" would work smoothly, but need a second opinion.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Only one way to find out...try it and see. I would either rename the folder on the laptop to Hoster_old or copy it to another location to preserve it, before you copy the desktop one to the laptop. If Hoster gives you all kinds of problems then delete the new folder and rename/move the original back.
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Well folks, tried and succeeded...YEAH!! Directly copied the desktop's KMA file into the laptop's KMA file, the executed Hoster, selected SongDatabase, then hit Rebuild. It loaded everything perfectly. All I had to then was recreate the SongBook on the laptop & wha-lah!! Works great!
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
VIP

thats why we always back up our files and keep them in a safe place !

Windows 10

Hoster 5.10
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM

My plan is to keep the KMA files on the laptop for speed access & all the master files on my external. Folks...this software rocks. Anybody using anything else besides Hoster are crazy. Way to go MTU!! Can't wait to see future enhancements!!
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Another question for the Hoster gurus. The MTU folder titled Hoster...if I copy the entire contents over to the laptop from my desktop, similar to what I did with the external KMA file, will it screw up the software already loaded in the laptop? In other words, are there items in the Hoster folder that should not be over-written to protect the license integrity?
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
VIP

the software needs to be installed, you cant drab and drop it on another computer. if you put all you KMA's on another computer that already has Kma's on it you will run into problems.

Windows 10

Hoster 5.10
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeland50 View Post
Another question for the Hoster gurus. The MTU folder titled Hoster...if I copy the entire contents over to the laptop from my desktop, similar to what I did with the external KMA file, will it screw up the software already loaded in the laptop? In other words, are there items in the Hoster folder that should not be over-written to protect the license integrity?
It really isn't a good idea. Since those files pertain only to that installation, then yes you could mess-up your screen settings and datbase for the laptop installation. Nothing with the license part, but just the operation of the work you have already done in the laptop copy of Hoster.
Old November 9th, 2008, 02:01 AM

Roger that...thanks for the update. Thought to try & report on results, but rather listen to those who know. Appreciate it.