MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Wow that got kinda heated there!! I just finished my new books and took the time to organize my discs in 8 100 disc holders so there numbers whould match those in my books. Can you guess why i took the time to do this? Yes its so just in case something happens I can go back to discs, and i always have a cdg player here so people can bring their own cdg's in. What did some of you that said you would cancel do before you had hoster? One phrase comes to mind

"The Show Must Go On"

if you do not believe in this i do not believe you are in this for the right reasons.
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:53 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
Wow that got kinda heated there!! I just finished my new books and took the time to organize my discs in 8 100 disc holders so there numbers whould match those in my books. Can you guess why i took the time to do this? Yes its so just in case something happens I can go back to discs, and i always have a cdg player here so people can bring their own cdg's in. What did some of you that said you would cancel do before you had hoster? One phrase comes to mind

"The Show Must Go On"

if you do not believe in this i do not believe you are in this for the right reasons.
I thin I am the only one so far that has said "I will not let the show go on without HOSTER, a compliment to Hoster, however, the show will go on because I will pay someone else to do the work without HOSTER . I am just to pleased with Hoster to do without.

Old June 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcox View Post
OK, I would use my disc if i had to.
we have about 12,000 cdgs.
i would have to carry about 2,400 cdgs and 1,200 cds for music, to do the same show i do now.
also about the last 600 cdgs for my main system are not in sleeves and are not in order to use.
so it would be a task to say the least, to try to do a show with disc.
and i also know I WILL NEVER HAVE TO.
I thank God & MTU for that.
Great, that is exactly what I think as well! I have got 2 or 3 backups of everything and don't expect to ever, ever, ever, use disks, and that is my WHOLE POINT!!

Old June 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Great, that is exactly what I think as well! I have got 2 or 3 backups of everything and don't expect to ever, ever, ever, use disks, and that is my WHOLE POINT!!
That wasn't your question though. You are stating you have backup computers (or drives).
Let me pose this - let's get into legalities for a minute. IF the possibility arose that the laws absolutely state that a computer run show - transferring your discs you legally purchased to hard drive - and crackdowns arose where ANYONE using a computer was getting busted, WOULD you go back to discs or just drop out of the game altogether? I would still use Hoster as a player, just through the temp imports of each disc instead of an actual player, since the files don't actually stay on the hard drive after it's played. Still get the benefits of the computer minus the actual hard drive storage.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Hosting without Hoster

We could argue this point forever and i guess we would all be right to an extent. However, i think all would agree the reason we use Hoster is because it is one huge step above the alternative. I do believe that anyone who uses Hoster would never go back to the disc player because a backup computer just makes more sense than a backup disc player. It would be like a truck driver having a team of mules to replace his truck. Just doesn't make sense.

Gentlemen, Ladies, we are arguing a mute point.

muzicman144
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I do believe that anyone who uses Hoster would never go back to the disc player because a backup computer just makes more sense than a backup disc player.
But you would be wrong, I already stated I - a Hoster user - would go back to discs & players if needed & could still run my show without skipping a beat. I don't have a back up computer, there is no need, I have my discs & players on site!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Talking hosting without hoster

The need to be right is overwhelming in a lot of people.

i ASSUMED that we are talking about a malfunction that creates the necessity of choosing a disc player over Hoster, not eliminating the ability of using whatever backup one has to choosefrom. How long would it take you to get back to Hoster??????
In your prior post you stated that disc were faster, but you liked the sound better in Hoster. The fact is, re-creating the sound files in hoster does not improve the sound, but in fact the sound is not as good. In fact, hoster acknowledges this fact and has down a great job of giving the user the choice of a larger file-better sound, or a smaller file-not as good sound.
After re-reading your post, you would be, by your own statements, better off to ditch your hoster program and go back to the "ole fashioned way".

I would think that a malfunction of one's equipment in a show would be a disaster if one had to go back to the disc. The scramble to get the discs out, get organized would really be time consuming. Using the computer backup, i would be back in business in five minutes or less.

I agree with Bryan and would not go back to disc, because in reality, there is no need to make the choice. Because most of us have computer backup, the "show still goes on" and in fact, hoster gives KJs a better rep.We have the best product on the market.

I think it would interesting to hear from Hoster users on their back-up issues in case of a malfunction, or their experience with a malfunction and how they addressed it. Could be useful info for all.

i do appreciate your comments, and hope nothing is taken personally

muzicman144
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
VIP

Quote:
The need to be right is overwhelming in a lot of people.
Oh yes that shows!

Quote:
i ASSUMED that we are talking about a malfunction that creates the necessity of choosing a disc player over Hoster, not eliminating the ability of using whatever backup one has to choosefrom. How long would it take you to get back to Hoster??????
The assumption was correct, I put out a hypothetical question. How long would it take to get back to Hoster, depends on how fast I NEED to get back to Hoster - my home computer is essentially my back up, but it won't get utilized in a show, it's not built for it. So I would probably wait until I could build another show computer before I got back to Hoster - wouldn't affect my show quality at all.

Quote:
In your prior post you stated that disc were faster, but you liked the sound better in Hoster. The fact is, re-creating the sound files in hoster does not improve the sound, but in fact the sound is not as good. In fact, hoster acknowledges this fact and has down a great job of giving the user the choice of a larger file-better sound, or a smaller file-not as good sound.
Well in a side by side comparison (player vs computer) - and a blind survey (obviously I knew which was which) with all other things being equal eq wise - me & our customers noticed a difference in sound & everytime picked the computer sound. Could be the soundcard quality, it is a pro grade audiophile card with balanced outputs - maybe it has it's own little processor built in that might enhance the signal - I don't know.

Quote:
After re-reading your post, you would be, by your own statements, better off to ditch your hoster program and go back to the "ole fashioned way".
Well, I already stated numerous times, I LIKE the convenience of the Hoster - but I would go back to discs if need be. My customers would not know the difference, they didn't really even know when Hoster came into my show except the fact that I had to fade out & stop the songs before starting the new song - other than that, nobody really knew.

Quote:
I would think that a malfunction of one's equipment in a show would be a disaster if one had to go back to the disc. The scramble to get the discs out, get organized would really be time consuming. Using the computer backup, i would be back in business in five minutes or less.
Well kind of like a malfunction of one's computer in a show would be equally disasterous. All my discs are well organized, labeled & readily accessible. Would be absolutely no 'scramble to get discs out'. Using my discs i could be up & running in less than a minute.

Quote:
I agree with Bryan and would not go back to disc, because in reality, there is no need to make the choice. Because most of us have computer backup, the "show still goes on" and in fact, hoster gives KJs a better rep.We have the best product on the market.
Yes Hoster is the best on the market I believe that as well! But my show would go on just a smooth with or without it. I can see for sure it might give a better 'rep' to those who didn't know how to use discs in a speedy manner. I have watched some kj's that used discs - literally play the song. When the song was over, they would THEN look for the next song & cue it up, call the next singer, start the song. At least a minute downtime in between each song. Hoster would definitely be a GREAT improvement for that type of show. For a show that was already fast to begin with, I seriously doubt it would be the make or break of a kj rep.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; June 16th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
VIP

I would revert back to cdg's and a player.

If I have contracted with the bar owners (even if that contract is just a handshake), one way or another the show will go on, to do otherwise would be unprofessional.

I agree with Lonnie, at this point in time using a two player setup is faster with less dead time, although it's a bit more work and not as flexible as Hoster. Hopefully H4 will rectify this.
Before Hoster this was pretty much how I would do things on busy nights using a 3 tray and a 5 tray player.

As for replacing a truck with mules: If not using the mules means I don't get the job done, I would not only use mules but also have a spare mule bringing up the rear.

I do still use the player occasionally, usually just when the customer disk is well worn or if it's an SC Media Cloq.

Sam
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Frequent Member

I will put my speed of using disc up against anyone out there.
and hoster is just as fast if not faster.
no matter how fast you can start a song ,
you still have to wait for the singer, unless you have a line where they just keep passing the mic back.
i am mobil, so i dont leave my stuff anywhere.
i have to carry everything in and out of every place i do a show.
and i would not like to carry five large cases of disc in and out with everything else.
so a backup laptop is the way to go, at least for me. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcox View Post
I will put my speed of using disc up against anyone out there.
and hoster is just as fast if not faster.
no matter how fast you can start a song ,
you still have to wait for the singer, unless you have a line where they just keep passing the mic back.
i am mobil, so i dont leave my stuff anywhere.
i have to carry everything in and out of every place i do a show.
and i would not like to carry five large cases of disc in and out with everything else.
so a backup laptop is the way to go, at least for me. Bob
I would take you on any day when running discs. The ONLY advantage the computer would have over discs is when there is a sudden song change - which isn't often at my shows.

I carry nearly 1000 cdg's, maybe not a lot to many here, but they are carefully selected & I don't have alot of duplicate songs, so maybe this is the issue!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Hosting Without Hoster

I believe that if i had the fastest , most efficient karaoke show in the country, with the trained singer who doesn't change their mind and leap to the stage, all without the use of Hoster, i wouldn't have wasted my money on the product. Nor would there be a need to address backup issues.

Just a thought
Muzicman144
Old June 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
VIP

Quote:
I believe that if i had the fastest , most efficient karaoke show in the country, with the trained singer who doesn't change their mind and leap to the stage, all without the use of Hoster, i wouldn't have wasted my money on the product. Nor would there be a need to address backup issues.

Just a thought
Muzicman144
Never said they don't change their mind, I said it's not very often - which Hoster I already admitted does help in this area.
But AGAIN, i bought Hoster for the convenience factor so it wasn't a waste of money & my back up issues are already resolved with discs, no need for a second computer.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
VIP

[quote=

"The Show Must Go On"

quote]

But it doesn't have to be with me, My question wasn't "will the show go on or not", It was, "Will it go on without Hoster and without me?" I have backup discs (1000's like Lonny, yes), and I also have backup DJ's like Lonny and you that are more than willing to work for less than me shuffling around discs all night, and on those rare nights (hasn't happened yet, though) that I am w/o Hoster, I stay home and let the disc shufflers strut their stuff. As for me, I'll stay home with Hoster and relax.

Don't really need the money, or the shuffling. that bad,

Thanks MTU for the program.

Old June 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
[I have backup discs (1000's like Lonny, yes), and I also have backup DJ's like Lonny and you that are more than willing to work for less than me shuffling around discs all night, and on those rare nights (hasn't happened yet, though) that I am w/o Hoster, I stay home and let the disc shufflers strut their stuff. As for me, I'll stay home with Hoster and relax.
Why would I make less money 'shuffling' discs? Around here it's quite the opposite unfortunately, the computer users charge less as a rule - but then many of them are also running illegal libraries to boot.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Hosting Without Hoster

Bryant, Again i wholeheartedly agree with you. My last post was strictly bait, and, guess who responded. Now Hoster gets less money in Tacoma than disc users. Guess it's who uses it. I'll make sure this is my last response to this thread, don't respond to many anyway, but sometimes this gets interesting.
Thanks to all who listened anyway.
Muzicman144
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
VIP

You sure have a knack of taking things out of context. I didn't say Hoster users, I said computer users in general - but the ones that charge less generally have illegal libraries. Didn't understand the making less money using discs, you charge what you are worth and what the market will pay. A kj could make the same money using discs & players as they could with Hoster - depends on what they charge. He made a statement that a disc user makes less, it's only true if the disc user charges less.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:37 AM
VIP

[quote=bryant;63218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by

"The Show Must Go On"

But it doesn't have to be with me, My question wasn't "will the show go on or not", It was, "Will it go on without Hoster and without me?" I have backup discs (1000's like Lonny, yes), and I also have backup DJ's like Lonny and you that are more than willing to work for less than me shuffling around discs all night, and on those rare nights (hasn't happened yet, though) that I am w/o Hoster, I stay home and let the disc shufflers strut their stuff. As for me, I'll stay home with Hoster and relax.

Don't really need the money, or the shuffling. that bad,

Thanks MTU for the program.
The poll asked:
Will I CANCEL the show
or
Will I revert to disks

I do not have employees so if I don't play, I don't get paid. Karaoke is my only bread and butter so I really do need the money and shuffling disks is not all that difficult, I did it for three years before Hoster. I have the three computeers with Hoster listed in my signature at my shows and another that stays home so using disks will never be an issue but I would do it if needed.

Sam
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
VIP

Yeah, I see, Mindonstrike. I don't have any employees either and also don't get paid if I don't play. I think I and a few others on here just got too spoiled to do it without Hoster. One time it was close, as my show computer was in the shop and my backup was acting funny.

I remember saying "Sheesh, what'll I do if this thing craps out and I have to go out to the truck and grab all those disks and cdg player."

Just a frightful thought at the moment.

Old June 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM

No cancelling a show here, I have no problems with discs, ran them since '93. Went computerized last year, but I still bring all my discs with me in a dj cd coffin tucked under my table & always have a player set up for customer discs...don't do it so much for back up, but they do serve that purpose, but I do it for proof of what's on my computer.