MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old June 6th, 2004, 04:22 PM

HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 supported?

i have an old HP CD-Writer Plus 7200e and i'm wondering if it would work with Microstudio 2.508 for CD+G reading and writing.
is it one of the old HP drives illuded to in the list of drives for sale?

of course i would just try it, but i'm running windows 2000 now and i need to give HP $10 for the install disk.

the drive works on my NT machine but Microstudio doesnt run there! it says that my DDRAW.dll doesnt have DirectDrawCreateEx. so, another question, what service pack do i need on NT? i'm running 6.

thanks!
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:50 AM

well from the MTU website it looks like windows NT is not supported, so that explains the ddraw problem, but the question still remains about the HP drive.

thanks
Old June 7th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Griscruf,
The DDRAW.dll erorr is because you don't have Microsoft DirectX 9.0B installed, but the downfall is that this is not available for Windows NT. This is the reason that we only Support 98 SE, ME 2000 and XP. These are the only operating systems that we state on our website that are supported.
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:01 PM

thank you, yes i saw that about NT and directX.

but the real question is if you support the HP drive. if you do, i'll buy the install disk from HP for win2k. please let me know. which "old" HP drives do you support?

thanks!
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:54 AM

if you dont plan to answer this question, could you let me know? thanks
Old June 14th, 2004, 03:37 PM

I am sorry about the delay. I have no idea if this old drive is supported, and no way to find out. The only way that you can find out is to try the Demo version of the software located on our Home Page.
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:10 PM

i bought the CD from HP to make the external drive work for windows 2k and your demo program doesnt even list my drive at all! it works fine in "explorer". how do i get your program to list the drive?

thanks
Old June 30th, 2004, 09:11 PM

oh, i should have added, it lists my internal drive fine, but of course it cant do karaoke. does your program support multiple drives? external drives?
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by griscruf
oh, i should have added, it lists my internal drive fine, but of course it cant do karaoke. does your program support multiple drives? external drives?
Multiple drives - yes
External drives - USB, Firewire - yes

You still haven't answered MTUSUPPORT's question as to if you downloaded the Microstudio 2.604 demo or not? If not, do so and post your results back here.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM

i wish you had told me you dont support external parallel port drives before i spent the money on the driver.

yes, i downloaded the demo program. that's how i know it doesnt work.
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Griscruf,
It was never stated here in your post that it was a Parallel drive. I have no idea if this would or wouldn't work. The only drives that we know work are the USB and Firewire Drives.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:06 AM

Cool Re: HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 supported?

The very first CD recorder I bought was an HP 7200. Great piece of equipment for recording data and music-but it is NOT compatible with CDG recording-period. Don't waste your time trying. Microstudio will NOT work with the 7200-nor will any other CDG recording software.

I later purchased an HP 8100 which definitely IS CDG compatible. I've been using it on and off now for several years. It's reliable but slow-maximum recording speed is 4X.

I use a Plextor 48 24 48U now for my CDG recording-but I've still got that old reliable HP 8100 and still use it once in a while-just for 'old times sake'.

There are still some web sites that sell the HP 8100. A friend of mine bought one a while back for $30.00-brand new in the box ! It would be a good 'starter' recorder until you're able to move up to a Plextor.

Happy recording !

Al North
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Re: HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN E NORTH
The very first CD recorder I bought was an HP 7200. Great piece of equipment for recording data and music-but it is NOT compatible with CDG recording-period. Don't waste your time trying. Microstudio will NOT work with the 7200-nor will any other CDG recording software.

I later purchased an HP 8100 which definitely IS CDG compatible. I've been using it on and off now for several years. It's reliable but slow-maximum recording speed is 4X.

I use a Plextor 48 24 48U now for my CDG recording-but I've still got that old reliable HP 8100 and still use it once in a while-just for 'old times sake'.

There are still some web sites that sell the HP 8100. A friend of mine bought one a while back for $30.00-brand new in the box ! It would be a good 'starter' recorder until you're able to move up to a Plextor.

Happy recording !

Al North
Just a note here. We sold Sony drives in the past. The drive mechanism was really built by HP, as Sony doesn't make drives. We would buy 10 drives, test them with 3 CDG discs (the best media is REQUIRED to test a drive), and typically reject 4 to 6 of the 10 drives.

Thus, if you buy an older... Sony, HP, Yamaha, or Teac CDR drive, you have a 40%-60% chance that it will NOT work satisfactorily for CDG Karaoke work.

It is well known that the Plextor drives are far superior for READING and WRITING CDG discs. We still have some rejects, but far less than before.

My suggestion... save your money until you can afford a Plextor drive. You'll be glad you did. Our 52x IDE internal mount drive (faster than USB/Firewire drive interfaces) is only $109 plus freight.
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:42 AM

Re: HP CD-Writer Plus 7200 supported?

Can't agree more, let's keep our life simple!! Plextor will read the graphic perfectly when purchase from MTU.

When you say HP was making the drives for Sony, I tought it was the other way around? Didn't Sony and/or Philips make the HP drives???

My reading tells me the opposite but who knows