MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Thumbs down Need Help Getting Hoster 5.04 to Work.

I thought that if I stayed away from trying to get the new Hoster to work for a few months, it would magically start working. When i tried it again today....Nope, no such luck.....Memories of utter frustration re-appeared and I confirmed without a doubt that I'm still stupid, and Hoster is still a piece of crap!
Over and Out!

Last edited by ddouglass; November 30th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Still a piece of crap

Your posted comments do not give us a clue of how to help you.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko7 View Post
I thought that if I stayed away from trying to get the new Hoster to work for a few months, it would magically start working. When i tried it again today....Nope, no such luck.....Memories of utter frustration re-appeared and I confirmed without a doubt that I'm still stupid, and Hoster is still a piece of crap!
Over and Out!
John, you are not understanding or appreciating the FREE support that is available to you, both here and by submitting a Support Ticket for MTUSUPPORT on our staff to answer.

All you have done is post emotions, no facts.

Here's a fact... tens of thousands of users are SUCCESSFULLY using Hoster for many functions. That pretty well disproves it is not as you say "a piece of c...".

You have used Hoster since July 10, 2005. I don't remember you being so insulting in the past, so I assume you have used it for the past 6 years.

If you care to post what you are trying to do, we'll help you.

But if you want to continue insulting MTU and others here willing to help you, don't expect anything.

Hope you can stop blaming yourself and MTU and let us help you.
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:54 PM

I have not tried to use Hoster 5.01 since the last time I posted several months ago. I am considering getting a new laptop for Christmas. The one that I loaded the Hoster upgrade on was new at the time, and I could not get the program to send the playfile to the television screen. That has been the root of most of my frustration with trying to use Hoster again since I quit using version 3 point something.
I would like some information as to what a new computer will need to operate the program. Specifically, what brand of processor works best AMD or Intel? What type or brand of video card works best? What operating system is best, I am sure that only Windows 7 is available on new units now, will I have to make all the software changes I tried last time to W7? Do either one of the processor chipsets have the ability to send the video out to a tv? How much ram works best? Anything else you can tell me will help make a decision. I rerally would like to use Hoster again, but until it I am able to get it properly installed on a unit that will operate it, I will continue to be frustrated and continue using my old roxbox program. Thank you in advance for any help.
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Jock,
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time getting this great software to work for you. What i do, is make a forum search for the basic info you're looking for. These questions have been discussed many times on here. Dale, roy, and other members have answered these questions dozen of times. So just because someone doesn't come running to your immediate aid, doesn't mean customer support is lacking. I think you will find a wealth of setup, and performace info is just a click away within the pages right here.

I try my best to find what i'm looking for on the forum before i ask for help. But remember help is just a short click away as admin has said. Good luck in getting up and running. Most of the time, not always, but most of the time you will find hoster will not work correctly because of operator error, or computer problems, and associated programs hindering it's performace. And of course you must make the changes to windows7 operating systems. Hoster is steady as a rock on windows7. I hope you get up and running soon. George
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have not tried to use Hoster 5.01 since the last time I posted several months ago. I am considering getting a new laptop for Christmas. The one that I loaded the Hoster upgrade on was new at the time, and I could not get the program to send the playfile to the television screen. That has been the root of most of my frustration with trying to use Hoster again since I quit using version 3 point something.
I am wondering why you had problems getting the 2nd screen on your existing laptop.
Did you have the second screen TV working OK with version 3.xxx.
Did the computer in question have dual graphics capability ?
If so which brand of graphics card was it using ?
What sort of connection did you have from the laptop to TV, VGA, HDMI, Svideo, etc?

Might be able to help if you state the computer model, Windows version, graphics card, amount of ram on board.

With the latest Windows 7 computers I should look for 4 GB ram, a second VGA out port as it seems some are HDMI only and at least 3 usb ports.
The faster the processor the better, problems do seem to occur more with the Nvidea graphics cards than the ATI. The hard drive size is not too much problem as most users keep their music files on an external usb drive.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; November 27th, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Roy, I did not have any issues with extending the screen to a second screen until I got the new computer to load the upgraded version of Hoster onto. It does not have s-video out, so I got an adapter cord to plug in to the VGA port on the new computer and it converts to either s-video or RCA composite yellow end. I tried both ends and it will not transfer the video to the second screen. I can get the second screen to show up on the "adjust resolution" screen, but it will not "identify" the second screen ie. the television screen, and that seems to be the root of my problem. I do not want to get a new comnputer just to run karaoke on in my basement a few times a year, but I'm not sure even a new computer will solve this issue. What does everyone else use to transfer the video to the tv screen? I'm sure that most of the newer units do not support s-video any more so what could be the solution for me. I really want to try Hoster again, but so far, I am relegated to using my old faithful laptop and another brand of KJ sofware. Any suggestions on the VGA problem?
John
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you just used one of these cables that you see advertised that is where your problem is, they don't work.
You need a VGA to video converter. I don't know which part of the world your from but if you search the internet you find something in your area like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

This is vga in with outputs for RCA video or s-video or vga. there are various people advertising these the brand names may be different but if it looks like this it should fit the bill.

Alternately does the computer have HDMI out and your TV HDMI in then you just need an HDMI cable to connect them. If you use this type of connection you may need info on making the audio still go to your amp instead of the TV, just ask and we will advise you.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Roy, Thanks, that is what I suspected was the issue. The computer I am looking to purchase is a Toshiba brand, but when I went on their site, and looked at the specs, it did not say VGA out it said RGB out and also HDMI out. Is RGB the same as VGA? If not, will the converter you suggested work anyway? Will I need a specialized cord to send signal from the converter to the tv? The tv only has an RCA composite video in jack on it.
John
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

The converter I described usually comes with all the leads with it, which is a VGA lead input, an RCA video out and a s-video out plus a usb lead to power it. The one I showed is only for use with VGA out of Laptop.

I'm not familiar with RGB out from a computer so can't advise perhaps someone else will know and answer this for you.

There are converters for HDMI to RCA video that others on this forum have used but I have not personally used one.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Roy, Thanks, that is what I suspected was the issue. The computer I am looking to purchase is a Toshiba brand, but when I went on their site, and looked at the specs, it did not say VGA out it said RGB out and also HDMI out. Is RGB the same as VGA? If not, will the converter you suggested work anyway? Will I need a specialized cord to send signal from the converter to the tv? The tv only has an RCA composite video in jack on it.
John
What Toshiba model are you looking at?
RGB is usually 3 separate RCA connectors (one for each color) but then Toshiba may be calling a VGA plug an RGB though I cannot think of any reason why they would do that.
Old November 29th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Toshiba 15.6" Satellite P755-S5268 Laptop PC:
Key Features and Benefits:
  • Intel Core i5-2410M processor
    2.30GHz, 3MB L3 Cache
  • 6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 750GB SATA hard drive
    Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner
    Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your Toshiba Satellite 15.6" laptop PC
  • 15.6" widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD display
    Intel HD graphics with 64MB-1696MB shared graphics memory
Additional Features:
  • Built-in webcam
  • 7-in-1 memory card reader
  • 1 x USB 3.0 port, 3 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x headphone output, 1 x microphone input, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x RGB output port, 1 x HDMI port
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery, 6 h 28 min battery life
Software:
  • Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
  • Microsoft Office Starter 2010: Includes reduced functionality versions of Microsoft Word and Excel with advertising. PowerPoint and Outlook are NOT included. Purchase Office 2010 today and get the most out of your new Toshiba Satellite 15.6" laptop PC. (To learn more about the features of Office 2010, click here
  • Norton Internet Security 2011 (30-day trial subscription)
  • Backup and Restore options built into Windows allows you to create safety copies of your most important personal files, so you're always prepared for the worst
Support and Warranty:
  • 1-year standard limited warranty
  • Restore discs are no longer included with PCs. We recommend you use the installed software to create your own restore and backup DVD the first week you use the platinum Toshiba notebook computer.
What's In The Box:
  • Power cord
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery
  • Quick Start Guide
To see the manufacturer's specifications for this Toshiba Satellite 15.6" laptop, click here
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
The converter I described usually comes with all the leads with it, which is a VGA lead input, an RCA video out and a s-video out plus a usb lead to power it. The one I showed is only for use with VGA out of Laptop.

I'm not familiar with RGB out from a computer so can't advise perhaps someone else will know and answer this for you.

There are converters for HDMI to RCA video that others on this forum have used but I have not personally used one.
Jocko7,

Looks like the computer that you are looking at ( Toshiba P755-S5268 ) has what Roy & Dale have expressed. The RGB port looks like a VGA port to me, even though two different sites expressed it differently: http://www.bing.com/shopping/toshiba...68&FORM=CMSMSP
The VGA cord that you originally purchased is not what you need! ( I bought one too! ) I use the VGA converter/adaptor that Roy has recommended, and it ships with all adaptor cables. The HDMI port will be best if you are only connecting to a single flat screen... otherwise I use the converter to splice the singers screen and run to as many tv's/monitors that my venue requires... I use rca video cables for long runs of multiple monitors/tv's, and HDMI for a single flat screen monitor, because of the price of HDMI cables of longer lengths... and because using the HDMI port has the effect of blocking or cancelling the other types of outputs/connections ie. S-Video, RCA, RGB, etc. Good Luck, and keep the faith... Hoster is rock solid... it's just something that you probably overlooked when your set-up changed!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Just to add to this post, I have been looking at this model and got a screen shot which I attach of this so called RGB port and it does look exactly like a VGA port to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toshiba side port.jpg (90.8 KB, 16 views)
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Well, I didn't want to take a chance that the RGB and the VGA port were the same, even thought they do look identical, so I ordered a different computer last night, the specs are: Acer 17.3" AS7750-6423 Laptop PC:

Key Features and Benefits:
  • Intel Core i5-2430M processor
    2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache
  • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 640GB SATA hard drive
    Store 426,000 photos, 182,000 songs or 336 hours of HD video and more
  • 8x SuperMulti DVD Burner with Double Layer drive
    Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC
  • 17.3" HD+ widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit display
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 128MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Microsoft DirectX 10.1
I also ordered an extra 4 gigs of ram. I also took Roy's advice and ordered a VGA converter from the link that you sent me, Thanks Roy. I hope now that I can get the new version of Hoster up and running. I'll let you know how its going, thanks everyone for your help.
John
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you are on the right track. I think either one of them would have worked. And yes the RGB as Toshiba calls it is really a VGA out.
I am going to change the title of this thread since things have calmed down and you are getting the help you need.