MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Economics 2009

Truth is, these things have been going on since i can remember from what i can see. Maybe economics have raised the competition, but it seems everytime one gets a lot of applause and praise at a Karaoke show, it isn't long before they start their own Karaoke business, usually short lived. I couldn't imagine doing Karaoke after all these years of the one man show. I have all the "right stuff" to do it (karaoke) legitimately, but shudder at the in-fighting for jobs like this forum describes. Guess i just been spoiled. I still say the good will always play somewhere.
muzicman
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I couldn't imagine doing Karaoke after all these years of the one man show.
I too have have spent all but four of my 30 year entertainment career doing nothing but playing guitar/bass doing a single act (me and my guitar) most of the time but my market is based around college students. Students will go see their buddy who may not be very good over seeing some old guy they don't know. Once karaoke started showing up in the clubs around here I had to include it to keep working at least five nights a week.

Now that I have been hosting karaoke (as well as playing guitar and singing) for four years I have to say that in my opinion you are not missing anything by not hosting karaoke. When I play guitar and sing I only have contact with the audience during my breaks and normally they tell me how much they enjoy my show. When I host karaoke I spend all night dealing with folks, some of which are quite drunk, pushy and obnoxious. I've had more folks kicked out of the bar hosting karaoke that I ever did playing guitar and singing.

Hosting karaoke beats a 40hr a week day job in a office somewhere but in my opinion playing live music beats hosting karaoke. I do have to say though at times, the karaoke is alot of fun!

I'm sorry to hear when any good, established karaoke host loses a room but I have to ask, does the club want karaoke just to put it on the sign or do they want a show? Marklwood is bar owner who chose to buid his own rig and host his karaoke himself. Should we condem him for this because he is a smart business man? Changes in the economy will always happen and I agree with you that the best folks will always work no matter where they are, like Bryant. These new folks will get their chance but when the club owners look at the numbers and see that their business is declining, the little amout of money they are saving by hiring a "lesser quality" host becomes a mute point and the good host will get a call to come back. Hosting karaoke is like any business, quality and service are needed for longevity.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Honor Roll

Karaoke staying strong

What still amazes me is the continued popularity of karaoke. I guarantee you I have the best show in every aspect of the word. The most/best song selection, the best sound system, the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet the fairest rotation, and the BEST software

Even with all that. In a town of 40,000 there are still 3-4 shows any night of the week. They all have the same complaints about freeloaders, but don't seem to be hurting enough to drop the show from the weekly line-up. The only thing that I think holds me back, is that fact that you can only have a certain amount of singers in any given night. If we could figure out how to overcome this hurdle, I could corner the market. Until then, there needs to be multiple shows in town to give everyone that wants to, a chance to sing. I agree with most, the cream will eventually rise to the top. What I hope for all you guy's sake, is that the bad apples don't spoil the club owners against karaoke.
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
VIP

Personal opinion based on 10 years observation and experience

Location, location, location.

Crappy shows at good location will usually do well.
Great shows at crappy locations will usually struggle.

Crappiness and greatness will factor in to a degree but in the end it's all about location, location, location.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Unfortunately, and so does the scum.
Naw, I'm not bitter,(notice the above next to it), don't know how. It was sort of a pun(and truth at the same time), anyone pick up on it.

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Economics 2009

deleted

Last edited by muzicman144; March 16th, 2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: another post
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Economics 2009

Location, location, location.
Too a degree. I personally believe just about every successful club/Restaurant's success is mainly based on the personality of the owner/operators. I've played run down looking clubs that are packed because of the owners. Look at Tootsie's in Nashville, i remember the floor wasn't even level and the cig machine at almost a forty five degree angle, but it always packed. I've also played the shiney clubs with all the bells and whistles at a great location that just won't go.
I have played both types and after a few years, i only play the personality based clubs.
Personality, prices, and last, location seems to outlast all others and are the most fun to play. Just an opinion.
Muzicman
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
W. Palm Beach, Some type of Shriner's Shindig
muzicman

oh ok..just around my neighborhood..well good luck, if its open to the public we might come and see you..
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Economics 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
oh ok..just around my neighborhood..well good luck, if its open to the public we might come and see you..
I'll get back to you and let you know, usually no problem getting someone in. I started playing for a Shriner Convention a few years ago and have been working their Shriner clubs and the Scottish Temple gigs up and down the coast since. They have been nice to me and i'm not a shriner. Always a great room usually seats from 200 and up to 800. I think W Palm seats 600, great people to work for and they pay well. I have never seen Karaoke at one of their main functions, don't know why.
muzicman
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I'll get back to you and let you know, usually no problem getting someone in. I started playing for a Shriner Convention a few years ago and have been working their Shriner clubs and the Scottish Temple gigs up and down the coast since. They have been nice to me and i'm not a shriner. Always a great room usually seats from 200 and up to 800. I think W Palm seats 600, great people to work for and they pay well. I have never seen Karaoke at one of their main functions, don't know why.
muzicman
ok thanks, i might bring some fellow kj's with me , if that's ok, and if its open to the public..
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Well things are starting to pick up for me. I am back to doing a show bi monthly, and my DJing gigs are coming back as well. So maybe a little leg work and some patience pays off.....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM

same here private gig wice, i've been turning down karaoke gigs for a while , just giving it to friends that needed it more than i do, i missed the fun and laughter and also my singers though, but my private gigs are doing a lot better, just did 3 last month and did one last weekend, and i am doing back to back next month, the only thing i can say was i'm getting paid more doing private gigs than doing karaoke every weekend..
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Hey Bryant,
You've always said that you were in one of the poorest areas in the country. Seeing any changes in Maine?

Jim
reporting back with some good news!!

Hey,, I got real lucky this week. I've been asked to do a regular Thursday night gig at a place where I do one or two karaoke parties a year. And another place that I do karaoke on Fridays has asked me to do a three hour dance party night on Thursdays from 7 to 10 pm, which I'll have my wife do. The VFW my wife plays at two nights a week has given her a 50 dollar raise each night (by way of giving her a 40 % of the 50/50 take for the evening. She actually got 58 dollars extra last Sat. night.). The commander who owns a restauraunt three buildings down the road is having a "Cruise Night" on Saturdays from 4 to 7 pm and asked us to play oldies there from 4:30 to 6:30 pm, along with a decent pay he has offered her and I FREE meals and drinks any time we enter the restauraunt.

This summer, I'll be returning to Sunday and Tuesday nights where I used to work year 'round; there I'll be asking for a 10 dollar increase in both nights.

My Wednesday night gig that I do year 'round has put me on some weird commision formula and since I've been averaging thirty dollars more a night there.

The overall economy in Maine is about the same as it always was; "very poor". So this world-wide thing (global recession) has only a little effect, if any, on what most people in Maine are willing to spend their money on.

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post

reporting back with some good news!!
That's great to hear Bryant!

I was offered a gig on Wednesday nights at a new club but I didn't like the way their so called "stage/dance floor" area was laid out. Also being a new club that had just been sold I had my reservations about investing the time. The last two places I invested in on Wednesday night didn't work out plus I like having a date with my wife every Wednesday night.

In Florida "the season" is back in and everything is back to normal for me. I'm also getting alot of class reuniouns, parties and weddings. Life is good!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
That's great to hear Bryant!

I was offered a gig on Wednesday nights at a new club but I didn't like the way their so called "stage/dance floor" area was laid out. Also being a new club that had just been sold I had my reservations about investing the time. The last two places I invested in on Wednesday night didn't work out plus I like having a date with my wife every Wednesday night.

In Florida "the season" is back in and everything is back to normal for me. I'm also getting alot of class reuniouns, parties and weddings. Life is good!

Jim
Good for you, Jim. I'm working on getting more weddings this summer.

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM

i dont do weddings anymore, it's an easy gig and more money, it's just i dont like parties with programs, and i dont like the fact that the people involved will give you a list of tunes they wanted to hear and changed it a day before the wedding..
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
VIP

Quote:
i dont like parties with programs, and i dont like the fact that the people involved will give you a list of tunes they wanted to hear and changed it a day before the wedding..
Can't agree with you more.

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
VIP

Quote:
i dont do weddings anymore, it's an easy gig and more money, it's just i dont like parties with programs, and i dont like the fact that the people involved will give you a list of tunes they wanted to hear and changed it a day before the wedding..
No different than the Client at your show that wants to change their song when they get to the stage, and you have it cued....

At least with Hoster, you are just a few mouse clicks away, and if you are good... no one knows except you and the Client!

I never turn down a good Wedding! Love the extra pressure, that comes along with the extra money....

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
No different than the Client at your show that wants to change their song when they get to the stage, and you have it cued....

At least with Hoster, you are just a few mouse clicks away, and if you are good... no one knows except you and the Client!

I never turn down a good Wedding! Love the extra pressure, that comes along with the extra money....

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke

in my opinion, doing wedding is a lot diff. from doing karaoke shows, karaoke is easier ,since you can just do a search and click and add the
song, people dont mind waiting for a few sec..but in a wedding, when you already have your playlist ready, and at the very last hour people will asked you to change or add songs,and if youre already at the reception where will you get the songs they wanted if you dont have it?, specially if its the brides fav...when i used to do weddings i always , always make sure that i have the songs they wanted..
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
VIP

Bride OR Groom requests are stated in advance, so you can be sure to accommodate the Special Couple at the reception... My wedding contract states what everyones responsibility is in requesting special songs in advance of the Big Day. My repertoire is not the biggest, but I haven't had the complaint, of not being able to satisfy last minute dance requests, just switch them over to another song you have in the same genre, with about the same bpm, and sentiment! Don't let them see you sweat! Sorry, I don't have that selection... how about this one?

Same as Karaoke show, it you don't have the clients request... tell them you will try and find it for them by the next time they come in, ( Then do go out and try to find it. If and when you do, let them know that you have their requested song now, or that you are still looking for the song that they requested, and you have a steady customer!), but you already do that... Right?

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke