MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Hey All,
This thread is interesting in as far as the original question went.
I still read there are sources in the US trying to stop shows using laptops and all kinds of hoster programmes, because they claim they are illegal anyway.
bobcox puts his finger on the problem of how many discs we all used to have to carry, when he mentions 2400 cdg's and 1200 cd's.
I have always questioned this outlook, as most kj's can only deal with between 15 and 20 songs an hour making 60 to 80 songs used in a 4 hour session.
I always queried the amount of deadwood we all had in our books.
I could never see the sense in carrying every disc just in case someone wanted to sing something obscure and you mightn't have brought it.
Although it's real nice to listen to some different songs from the run of the mill, but you can always promise to make sure you've got it next time.
They've got something to look forward to.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM
VIP

Yes, that is what I do. Promise to have it next time, and I do, but also every time after that, and that adds up to a lot of discs after a while. Many of those obscure songs on a particular disk may also have one or two not-obscure songs as well, and disk needs to be there anyway.

Old November 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM

I have a disc show ready to go. It is my emergency backup, waiting in the trailer. I also have a laptop, I carry along just in case, with 14,000 KJ and 18,000 DJ on the hard drive. My outboard, hard drive also travels to my PC gigs. On my personal feelings I could do it, but would rather break a leg, than go back to handling discs.
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
I have a disc show ready to go. It is my emergency backup, waiting in the trailer. I also have a laptop, I carry along just in case, with 14,000 KJ and 18,000 DJ on the hard drive. My outboard, hard drive also travels to my PC gigs. On my personal feelings I could do it, but would rather break a leg, than go back to handling discs.
That's the kind of answer I've been expecting. probably just me being a bit too lazy thinking of setting up up all those disks and being like the other guys around here.
Would rather break a leg, as you say.

Old November 13th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
That's the kind of answer I've been expecting. probably just me being a bit too lazy thinking of setting up up all those disks and being like the other guys around here.
Would rather break a leg, as you say.
Bryant,
I don't hink it's lazy, I think it's smart. It would be like carring records around in case the CD player quit working, where does it stop? The cost of computers and memory is so low that any working KJ/DJ/Entertainer can afford a backup machine and a backup drive in case anything goes down.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I Could not take the poll. If my rig went down I would use my back-up rig or pull out my guitar.

NEVER CANCEL A GIG!

If I couldn't do a gig because I was in the hospital, I'll take the time to find somebody to fill my spot.

NEVER LEAVE YOUR CLIENT WITHOUT ENTERTAIMENT!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
VIP

I agree there too madJim, I would not actually cancel a show, but let someone else have it. usually, when that happens when I take a vacation, a Disk-guy comes in and they always say "Pleeeeeaaase, bryant, don't take any more vacations"

And I think that's because Hoster is SOOOO flexible with changing songs and not having to use paper, and all that good stuff, it really spoils my regulars quite a bit.

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
And I think that's because Hoster is SOOOO flexible with changing songs and not having to use paper, and all that good stuff, it really spoils my regulars quite a bit.
Ain't it great, thanks MTU!

Jim

Old December 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM

I would run disks, but would prefer not to, and certainly don't think it's better to run disks.

I have Hoster on three separate laptops. There are no nights that my company has more than two gigs (one backup).

I and those that work for me do a lot of parties, weddings, anniversaries etc. on Saturdays and they are bigger money makers than the clubs that we do.

There was one Saturday a few months ago that we did four shows and that night I ran disks, it was my only option. I ran an IPOD for my regular music. It was not a lot of fun, but the night went well and I would do it again if I had to.

As I grow I continue to buy more laptops and more versions of Hoster, however I will not turn down a gig because someone has to run disks. It's a pain and I can understand those that would not.

If all my laptops crashed at the same time I would be in serious trouble!!!
May have to think about another line of work.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:08 AM

host with hoster

I don't quite understand how, if all your computers crashed at the same time you would be in serious trouble, just play your disc at each gig as you stated. It must be expensive buying all those disc, though.
muzicman144
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
VIP

[quote=stublack;68630]I will not turn down a gig because someone has to run disks. It's a pain and I can understand those that would not.
quote]

I couldn't stand the pain, I'd give out the gig to a masochist.

Old December 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I couldn't stand the pain, I'd give out the gig to a masochist.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! I like the way you think.

Jim

Old January 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM

no longer have a cdg player

first, I dont own a karaoke player anymore. secong I live in IL and my buisness is in KY. I hire someone to run karaoke. Karaoke as far as im concerned doesn't make any money and the only reason we keep it up is for the guys who work for us. Last the CDGs are 3 hours and $75 in fuel away from the employee. So yes I would cancel or hire another company to run the show for the night.

I purchase software because I want it to work every time i use it. I get used to running a show a certian way and thats the way i want to run it. My employees are trained to use this software, we have been using it since it came out. I have a backup machine on site at every show. If it was an issue of the software being unreliable I would rip my discs to mp3+g and use one of the far superior softwares out there right now.

my only gripe with this software is the time it takes for support to get back to you. I turn a support ticket and by the time they get back to me ive moved on to more important things.

I understand wanting to protect the software but i think you should be more responsive to those who paid for and depend on it to make money.
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Frequent Member

what superior software????.
i have tried them all, and none compare to Hoster.
as far as karaoke making money, we have bought a lot of realastate off of karaoke.
if your good at it, have a great selection, and are willing to work.
you can make a very nice living at it. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM

no offense

I dont mean to set anyone off on this forum but every karaoke company in my area are using illegal copies of karaoke discs. We started doing karaoke 10 years ago and purchased hundreds of discs. These other guys dont have near the investment that we have but have a selection that towers over ours. I cant compete. We will do some high end karaoke contests every once and a while and get upwards $1000 to $1500 per show. Other than that we do 4 shows a week on week nights for $150 a night. I pay the employees $100 a night so there is not alot left over after song updates and then most importantly profit.

We have to fight tooth and nail to keep the under bidders from taking our gigs. The only thing that keeps them out of our house is the fact that our KJs are entertainers first and KJs second.
In my opinion buying a $20,000 song colection to make $50 a night is not profitable compared to most of the other things we have going on.

I like the program just fine my problems are with the slow responses to emails. If I have a problem I want to get it fixed fast so i can move on and stay productive.

Im glad to hear that there are those who can make a good profit at doing karaoke.
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Where do your people play in Louisville?

I don't go to very many bars but my brother in law plays at a small VFW on weekends. Works a regular job at GE so he wouldn't want weeknights anyway. He does it as much for his own pleasure/entertainment value as he does the money. He's computer illiterate so I can't talk him into going electronic. But he did find a disc system to make it pretty simple to find and store the discs.

Oh and don't say that all KJ's in this area use illegal discs. I know better.

I also know of a lot who do just as you are saying too.

I'm not saying that he doesn't use burned copies at the shows but I beat him over the head after he started to make sure he has the originals of all the discs he plays. I know this because I have backed all of them up for him to use. 560 some right now.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I still have alternatives with out pulling my discs.

I have two computer systems ready to go if in the event of a catastrophic failure. Since I am a computer systems engineer as a profession, I tend to believe it is necessary to have redundant components ready to go. My customers live on data redundancy.

I also have my older, but still reliable JVC three tray CD-G player ready to be pulled. I check my systems every couple of days anyway, as I am always adding new discs to the my Hoster system, and I archive my disc every month.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to kj/dj-ing (5 years)- but I would like to add my 2 cents worth, if ya don't mind. I know you all have more experience and knowledge about the equipment than I do. I started as a back-up dj for my partner. He's the expert - I'm in it for fun. The money is just a bonus for doing something that I love to do!

1st - to answer the original question, if I had a system failure as described, I would have to call in reinforcements. I would not be able to run the show myself. I have a partner and several other dj/kjs on call for emergencies like this. Luckily, I've never had a reason to call them (yet!),
but the show would go on without me.

I don't have the equipment to run without my computer. My partner and I bought all the discs and the players when we started, but sold the equipment several years ago when we bought Hoster. We kept all the discs, to be legal, but I couldn't haul them to every gig if I wanted to. We have all the music loaded onto external hard drives. We each have several laptops w/Hoster loaded, so the hard drives can be used on any of them. I implemented that when I started having problems with my old computer, and it has come in handy several times.

A question tho - I purchase karaoke songs from Tricerasoft and other internet sites regularly. When you buy the gift pkgs. you're paying under $1 for each song, and I find it more cost effective than buying entire discs for the occas. song they ask for that I don't have. If a customer asks for a song I don't have and I have an open internet connection, I can download it immediately and have it ready for them to sing in 10 minutes or so. I've been doing this for awhile - 1000s of songs and dollars. My question is - how would I prove that I bought these songs, if it ever became necessary? I don't want to be accused of being one of those kj/djs who have a library of pirated music!

Thanks for the help.
Kathi
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
VIP

Kathi,
Feel free to put a "NO" vote in.

Don't know how to prove ownership unless there is some kind of internet receipt for the discs, i imagine?

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Frequent Member

use your printer, or save to computer, (your order.)
also credit card trail.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates