MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
VIP

Assuming a 4 - 6 hour new years eve gig, how much did you make?

I'm just wondering if some of us in different parts of the country may not be charging enough, or maybe some of us should/could be looking out for better paying holiday gigs?

Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
VIP

Since it fell on my regular night at my regular club I charged the same as I would any other night - no extra. 9-1:30.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Pay for New Year's Eve gig

If it falls on my regular night of Karaoke, I always charge double! Mostly, I try to get private parties for New Year's Eve... Then I can charge triple the amount, depending on how big and where the event is! I could actually make a $1,000.00 plus for the night, of course I DJ along with the Karaoke!!!
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:14 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi View Post
If it falls on my regular night of Karaoke, I always charge double! Mostly, I try to get private parties for New Year's Eve... Then I can charge triple the amount, depending on how big and where the event is! I could actually make a $1,000.00 plus for the night, of course I DJ along with the Karaoke!!!
You might feel differently if you worked at the same club for 14 years. These people still pay me even if THEY decide to close for a night or if they have a power outage or something. They have even bought me discs (just to add to the book) & equipment that I needed (of course had to pay back but a little at a time per week).
They used to pay me more on NYE when I asked, but this was also when it wasn't a regular night, but it's really not any big difference in crowd to me, so I just charge my normal night since I work 7 nights there anyway.
Private parties & clubs that aren't a regular night, of course i'd charge more.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
You might feel differently if you worked at the same club for 14 years. These people still pay me even if THEY decide to close for a night or if they have a power outage or something. They have even bought me discs (just to add to the book) & equipment that I needed (of course had to pay back but a little at a time per week).
They used to pay me more on NYE when I asked, but this was also when it wasn't a regular night, but it's really not any big difference in crowd to me, so I just charge my normal night since I work 7 nights there anyway.
Private parties & clubs that aren't a regular night, of course i'd charge more.
I would think, that due to the respect and loyalty you have offered that club, that they would recognize the same towards you during the holiday season. I'm sure they must know, "Everyone makes money NYEve".

Every place I know (even in Maine) will reward their employees somewhat for exceptional work. I say employee, as you are there 7 days for 14 years. That's more than I spend at my regular job.

But then again, if your not doing it for the money, and they sense that, they keep it.

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:32 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
I would think, that due to the respect and loyalty you have offered that club, that they would recognize the same towards you during the holiday season. I'm sure they must know, "Everyone makes money NYEve".

Every place I know (even in Maine) will reward their employees somewhat for exceptional work. I say employee, as you are there 7 days for 14 years. That's more than I spend at my regular job.

But then again, if your not doing it for the money, and they sense that, they keep it.

Why, they don't charge their customers anything more on NYE. The customers just come in, they could go down the street & pay a $5-10 cover charge just to walk in the door for nothing more. Again, for me personally, if I wasn't already working, yes I would charge more, but since it fell on my regular night, there was nothing different about it to me, except that I could do a little more dj work which is no big deal with my dj program, just program it & let it play. Otherwise it was a regular night to me. There was nothing they needed to 'sense' about it. And yes I AM doing it for the money, it's my only job - same place for 7 nights a week for the last 14 years!!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
VIP

Quote:
Why,
Not sure why, it just seems most usual for companies to pay "fulltime employees" and even part time employees
some type of holiday pay, or if not, show appreciation for the excellent loyalty you have shown.

In this state, every company does it, every bar does it,
and I know if I owned a place and had service and loyalty that you have shown, I imagine I would too. It just seems natural.

My place doesn't charge a cover any time of year either,
but the hours are usually slightly stretched, making it not a regular night.

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Not sure why, it just seems most usual for companies to pay "fulltime employees" and even part time employees
some type of holiday pay, or if not, show appreciation for the excellent loyalty you have shown.
They do show loyalty, how many here get paid if the club cancels a night or still pays you if the power goes out & you can't do the show, I do! Again, they've bought me discs to add to the book, not to pay them back, just to give. If i've needed equipment, they'd lend me the money to get it. I think that's pretty appreciative & to show MY appreciation back, I don't charge them any more on any holiday because they are my regular nights anyway.
As far as stretching the night, our state law requires bars to be shut down by 2 AM. There are a few that will run non-alcoholic shows after 2, but those are pretty rare around here.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
VIP

Quote:
They do show loyalty, how many here get paid if the club cancels a night or still pays you if the power goes out & you can't do the show, I do! Again, they've bought me discs to add to the book, not to pay them back, just to give. If i've needed equipment, they'd lend me the money to get it. I think that's pretty appreciative & to show MY appreciation back, I don't charge them any more on any holiday because they are my regular nights anyway.
As far as stretching the night, our state law requires bars to be shut down by 2 AM. There are a few that will run non-alcoholic shows after 2, but those are pretty rare around here.
Oh, I see. Up here most things close at 12:30 or 1am, except for NYE, open till 2. That's why I was wondering.

Sounds like you gotta deal over there, a KJ on salary.
Just like my fulltime job (KJ is yours), I get paid when I'm sick, when their not open, when I take vacations,
and triple holiday pay if I choose to work on it, but KJ instead for thrice the amount I can make at work.

You definitely have a good deal. It was just my first time I had heard of that type of appreciation, that's all, just me being naive.