MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How are your karaoke Song Books arranged?
One section; by Artist only. 5 10.64%
One section; by Title only. 1 2.13%
A section for Artist and a section for Titles. 41 87.23%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 9th, 2007, 04:21 PM

It's interesting to see how presumptuous kj's can be in believing that customers don't want to see number (just because you personally don't like them), actually disc manufacturer numbers. I sing with a group of approx 25-30 singers (also heavy spenders) that do a different karaoke bar 1 time a week & will note & return to the ones we feel are good. We have left shows that don't list any kind of manu reference because we don't want to sing off of versions we don't know or if you are one that bought all the Nutech & SGB collection.
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM

TTowntenor, Quite interesting you don't like NuTech or SGB. Very interesting, what is in your books or did you just chime in with your opine? I do remember when I put books together with manufacturer, title disk id and number plus track number. People spent more time looking at books than singing, of course I had 4 inch binders at the time to create the ulitimate book with all the information in them. But then I do ask what version my singers want. I have up to this time put numbers in my books, very legibly and quess what? Going by title or artist is the best way to go. I've seen books with more info in them also, and have been asked for a specific disc brand for different songs. I oblige if I can. I have one lady that sings Folsom Prison Blues, wants Music Maestro, I don't care for it but then she does. Putting together books with all the titles such as Folsom Prison Blues would add a quite a few pages to my books, as I have it on MM, NuTech, its clone SAVA, SGB, CB, SC, ASK, Essential, Karaoke Bay, Hotline, Pioneer, Dangerous ect. All my books have double col, #11 font, and are very neat and uncluttered. Most often I get compliments on their construction even by fellow KJs. My equiptment, includes dual cabsfor speakers, 1200 watt peavey mixer amps, singer monitors, peavey dual opposed subwoofers, carts with my equiptment built in, including a 22inch TV facing the audience. When I set up a show, it includes $1000 worth of lighting. I do this because I can. I can go bar hopping anytime I want and be critical of others but I don't. Some of the local KJs around here have sought my advice and skills. I give it willingly. I do hope I'm not coming across too critical, it is not my intent. Just trying to help you understand what some of us do for singers coming into places we work. We share our experience and hope to help others.
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:22 AM

No I wasn't just chiming in, just wanted to let some hosts know that there are still some customers that go out that like to SEE what versions are in the book & not have to guess if it's a bad version or something they are not used to. And as far as me personally not liking NuTech or SGB (or even MM for that matter), yes it's true, they are all garbage in many's eyes. As for my book...no I don't run club shows anymore, Strictly private parties...I run primarily Sound Choice, Chartbuster, & the monthlies. Over 13K songs, 11K non dup'd.
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM
VIP

Three years; 6 nights a week and NEVER had one person ask me for a specific manufacturer's disk (song). Once in a great while a regular will come in and say "I like this version better than yours, here is my disk". Then after that, I go out and buy that disk and import it with his name on the Brand name. have only done this twice. The only advantage here is that those two don't have to bring in there disks anymore, and I immediately find there song now , when they ask. Plus i just became very popular as word gets out what i do for them that the guys across the street don't.

The point here is that those that are extremely fussy about a specific manufacturer almost always have their own disk. And like I said, if they are real regulars , then I get it and brand it with their name but don't put it in songbook.

Old August 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Bryant you are right we do think similar. I have a lot of new stuff that I get for singers.

TTowntenor, I too wanted nothing but SC and CB, but alas not all titles are available from them. Try finding Have I Told You Lately That I Love You by Jim Reeves. You will find versions by Elvis, Roger Whittaker, Gene Autry, amongst the CB and SC and Top Hits Monthly. You have to find a Essential Karaoke disk, thing I cannot believe is the quality of that particular song it is the best version there is and true to the original song by Reeves. That song I searched for a customer for two years. I have also bought karaoke disks from an Australian manufacturer when I could not find it domestic. If you ever tried the DK version of House of the Rising Sun by the Animals you wouldn't want any other version.
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Deleted.

Erectile dysfunction treatment

Last edited by George; August 25th, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM

So far I have not had the courage to remove my dupes. And I have lots of them. Likely 15% or more of my 19.000 are dupes.

I use the CAVS system and sorted all my songs by 1,000 number bank. For example I loaded my Chartbuster into the 19,000 number bank. Any song beginning with 19 is a Chartbuster. etc.

In the front of the book I have a chart that relates 1,000 bank to a manufacturer.

Most people don't care about this, but about 15% of my singers are very accomplished and they insist on their favorite version and use the charts all the time.

This really costs me big time in printing costs. I just can't bring myself to eliminate the dupes, even though Music Box Deluxe has a great feature that lets you rate dupes, and then not print any that fall below a designated rating.

Smoky
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Smoky sounds like a good idea.
I've always been a stickler on my books, and have made some mistakes on the way they are arranged. I have garnered a lot of good ideas here about it. Your numbering your disks by manufacture is an excellent idea. I don't use numbers any longer in my books but I do wish I would have heard your idea when I did.

One thought on the books and printing. I was spending way too much on having books printed also. My new $700 dollar black ink only printer has almost paid for itself already. It is a plus that it's tax deductable.
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM

I keep wishing I could find a printer that has low cartirdge costs. I do a cost comparison and always end up going to Kinko's because of the expense of ink.
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Refillable drum cartridge $110 Prints 18,000 pages. Toner kit to refill, $30

Drawback, black only. Haven't seen any color KJ of DJ books yet. The color version takes more money to buy and more to maintain.
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:57 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
I keep wishing I could find a printer that has low cartirdge costs. I do a cost comparison and always end up going to Kinko's because of the expense of ink.
Kinkos is probably THE most expensive, do some price comparisons with your page numbers, chances are you will find them cheaper elsewhere - especially in some of the Ma & Pa shops. I found a local place that will print all my slips in an order of 120,000 (cut) for only $70 & my books, double sided x10 (320+ pages total per book - 160 actual pages double sided) for $120. Kinkos used to charge me almost double that. Some of the little places will work with you, get to know them!!!!

My color laser printer prints 4,000 pages black & white (per cartridge) for less than $120 for 4 carts.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Cool This Is What I Do

I have gone through my using edit songs and marked one of each song as Acappella. If the song has a diffferent artist I include it. When I add a new disk or two. I add them all as Acappella and then edit and and change duplicates back to Unknown. When printing the new book I generate it with Acappella as the filter. Copy it from the .rtf file into excel, remove the column with the book id, use text to columns option to separate title from artist and copy the resulting columns into a standard template in word.

Old December 5th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Cool This Is What I Do

I have gone through my using edit songs and marked one of each song as Acappella. If the song has a diffferent artist I include it. When I add a new disk or two. I add them all as Acappella and then edit and and change duplicates back to Unknown. When printing the new book I generate it with Acappella as the filter. Copy it from the .rtf file into excel, remove the column with the book id, use text to columns option to separate title from artist and copy the resulting columns into a standard template in word.