MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 22nd, 2003, 05:37 PM

Spicing up a home karaoke party

To begin with, I am not a KJ. I don't have the experience or the karaoke background that many of you professionals out there have.

I would very much appreciate some helpful hints on making a home karaoke party more interesting-other than just passing out songbooks and waiting for volunteers.

I'm sure that many of the activities used by the pros would also work at a home party-and I would appreciate getting the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

Thanks,

Al North
Old July 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM

Lightbulb Home Karaoke Party

Al North,

I would say of course the first thing is you want to make sure that there will be enough people coming to your party that want to sing. Blow up musical instruments such as guitars, saxphones, etc. are always fun. These can be purchased at most party stores or you can go online and find them. You might want to pick out a wide mixed selection of songs and those who wish to participate; put there names in one "hat" and the songs in another and you draw a name and a song and that's what they have to sing. This of course is just for fun and I promise will get a lot of laughs. Do that for awhile and then later let those that really want to sing seriously do so. Just some ideas.

Kelly
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:31 PM
Frequent Member

Al, a couple more ideas.......

1. If you guests are seated at tables, tell the table they have to pick one person from the table to sing, to represent the table. Give a small prize to the table that produces the best singer.

2. You can even give a Prize for the "Worst" singer.

3. Encourage to sing in groups of 2 or 3 or more.

4. A good song for all the girls is "I Will Survive"

5. If you want to be daring for the girls and there are no children in the crowd, the song is "Short Dick Men" by 20 Fingers.

6. For the Guys, a good song is "To All The Girls I've Loved Before"
Either you or someone else sings the part of Willie Nelson, and
you let the ladies in the crowd pick who they want to sing the "Julio" part.

7. After 4 of 5 singers sing......play some dance music 1 or 2 Tracks. Have on Hand the minimum:

a. Chicken Dance
b. Hokey Pokey
c. Limbo Rock
d. Congo
e. Bunny Hop
f. Electric Slide
g. Bootie Call
h. Cha Cha Slide'
i. Boot Scoot Boogie

8. For singers that like to sing Karaoke, and if you have a songbook, close your eyes, open the songbook, put your finger on a song.......The Karaoke Singers......have to sing the song you pick. This is always fun......because you never know what's going to be selected. You might get someone that sings Sinatra songs, getting a Heavy Metal Band number.

9. Duets, get a singer to pick a duet and then pick a singing partner.