MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 28th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Laptop wont display on TV and Singers Monitor

Hi Everyone.

I've setup my newer Laptop:

Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz 2.4 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Display Adapters:
* Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M

Using HDMI cables, I can not display the karaoke lyrics on a TV and a separate monitor at the same time. I can however run them separately, thru HDMI.

As soon as I connect them both to a "HDMI splitter cable", neither work. Yet, when I use my old faithful laptop that I've been using for years, it works perfectly, and it is no where as powerful as my newer laptop.

Help :(

Thanking you in advance

Laptop Computer:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Ram: 8GB
System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Video Cards:
1x Intel(R)HD Graphics 4600
1x NVIDIA Geforce GT745M

Audio Card: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Full Windows Touch Support with 10 Touch Points
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:38 AM
VIP

Re: Laptop wont display on TV and Singers Monitor

Does your new laptop "recognize" Both monitors when you go to adjust screen resolution? ( Right click on a blank portion of your desktop, and click on screen resolution )... tell us what you find... use recommended resolutions, if not already... then report back please!

May need some more information regarding your hdmi splitter (powered or passive), and how long of a cable, and awg of hdmi cables you are trying to use...

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:16 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisinger View Post
Hi Everyone.

I've setup my newer Laptop:

Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz 2.4 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Display Adapters:
* Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
* NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M

Using HDMI cables, I can not display the karaoke lyrics on a TV and a separate monitor at the same time. I can however run them separately, thru HDMI.

As soon as I connect them both to a "HDMI splitter cable", neither work. Yet, when I use my old faithful laptop that I've been using for years, it works perfectly, and it is no where as powerful as my newer laptop.

Help :(

Thanking you in advance
I haven't had much luck with video splitter cables and my guess would be that is where your problem lies. I use a HDMI powered splitter and have run cables as far as 50 feet without any problems.

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Graphics: 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M
With Optimus Technology, Optical Drive: Blue-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) / DVD SuperMultic Drive, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC Plus Bluetooth 4.0, LED Backlit Keyboard, 512 GB Samsung Solid State Drive and 4.0 TB and 1.5 TB Hard Drives, 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Breakaway Audio Enhancer

Toshiba Satellite Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 6GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 256 GB Solid State Drive, Breakaway Audio Enhancer. 3 TB External WD Caviar Green Hard Drive.
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
I haven't had much luck with video splitter cables and my guess would be that is where your problem lies. I use a HDMI powered splitter and have run cables as far as 50 feet without any problems.
This. I was able to get a passive VGA splitter to work to 2 separate TVs no problem, but not an HDMI one. Bought a powered splitter and then another, so I have the "singer's screen" split to 3 external TVs now and it works fine.
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Sorry guys for late reply....I will get back to this problem which I'm still having.

Talk soon

Laptop Computer:
Video Cards:
1x NVIDIA Geforce GT745M

Old October 14th, 2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Does your new laptop "recognize" Both monitors when you go to adjust screen resolution? ( Right click on a blank portion of your desktop, and click on screen resolution )... tell us what you find... use recommended resolutions, if not already... then report back please!
When I plug them in individually, laptop does recognize them and they work. They do show up in the "Screen Resolution" window, but only when I connect them individually.

Quote:
May need some more information regarding your hdmi splitter (powered or passive), and how long of a cable, and awg of hdmi cables you are trying to use...
The splitter cable is approx 30cm long & is Passive.
HDMI to HDMI Cable 10m Gold Plated NYLON Standard Digital Video HD Digital Cable Lead v1.3

Remember, it works perfect with my old HP Laptop, but not my new Toshiba Laptop :(

Laptop Computer:
Video Cards:
1x NVIDIA Geforce GT745M

Old October 14th, 2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
Hi WaltR, I had a friend of mine who also does Karaoke, and he uses a "Powered" HDMI splitter, so we tried it with my Laptop and yup, it still didnt work grrr!

FYI. My Singer's monitor doesn't have a HDMI input but, has both VGA & DVI inputs. So what I have done is I've connected a passive HDMI to DVI converter adapter to the DVI Input of the monitor, and of course thats where I connect my HDMI cable from the splitter.
The Pub TV's have HDMI Inputs.

Q. Could it be the mismatch of the "Converted DVI" input to HDMI that could be causing the problem with my new Laptop?? Yet it works perfect with my old Laptop lol aaaagh!

Laptop Computer:
Video Cards:
1x NVIDIA Geforce GT745M

Old October 15th, 2016, 09:44 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisinger View Post
Hi WaltR, I had a friend of mine who also does Karaoke, and he uses a "Powered" HDMI splitter, so we tried it with my Laptop and yup, it still didnt work grrr!

FYI. My Singer's monitor doesn't have a HDMI input but, has both VGA & DVI inputs. So what I have done is I've connected a passive HDMI to DVI converter adapter to the DVI Input of the monitor, and of course thats where I connect my HDMI cable from the splitter.
The Pub TV's have HDMI Inputs.

Q. Could it be the mismatch of the "Converted DVI" input to HDMI that could be causing the problem with my new Laptop?? Yet it works perfect with my old Laptop lol aaaagh!
Because it works with one laptop does not necessarily mean it will work with others. Not all laptops are created equally. When you are dealing with passive devices, you never know if there will be voltage drops or other adverse effects. Some computers have the ability to supply enough power for a particular application where another may not. That is why I always use powered splitters and other powered devices depending upon my needs. One club I play I have hdmi going to the singers monitor from an hdmi powered splitter. The other side of the splitter feeds a hdmi converter to feed a component to coax converter which runs coax to the club TV's. This works with my two Toshiba laptopss. One is my show laptop and the other is my backup show laptop. This setup works for all the different clubs I play. At another club, I use one side of my hdmi splitter to feed the singers monitor and the other side to feed a hdmi projection screen setup. Your question of possible a mis-match is certainly a possibility!

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Graphics: 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M
With Optimus Technology, Optical Drive: Blue-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) / DVD SuperMultic Drive, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC Plus Bluetooth 4.0, LED Backlit Keyboard, 512 GB Samsung Solid State Drive and 4.0 TB and 1.5 TB Hard Drives, 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Breakaway Audio Enhancer

Toshiba Satellite Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 6GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 256 GB Solid State Drive, Breakaway Audio Enhancer. 3 TB External WD Caviar Green Hard Drive.

Last edited by WaltR; October 15th, 2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Here is one of my videos showing a powered HDMI spliter going to one HDMI TV and a second HDMI to composit video converter to another small TV. both are powered items.
https://youtu.be/PZwXx6xamPQ
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Hi Roy,
1stly, thank you for your video. You made it very clear and after watching your video I decided to copy your setup, so I've just bought:
1x "1 In 4 Out" HDMI Powered Splitter
1x "HDMI - RCA" adapter.

Now I realize, as WaltR said, not all Laptops work the same, so setting mine up like yours "may not work" but I'm determined to try all possibilities! haha

I will let you know once I receive the components. The Splitter I bought on ebay, so that may take a week to get here in New Zealand.

Again, thank you for your time and advice

Laptop Computer:
Video Cards:
1x NVIDIA Geforce GT745M

Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:03 PM