MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
VIP

getting new Mixer: Mackie???

has anyone used the mackie ProFX12 mackie mixer? If so, how would it hook up easily (I'm sure it can) to two amps; one for bass speakers and one for highs?

Also, how does that usb port function?

Ill be replacing a similar mixer by Behringer 1404FX.

Please advise.

Old December 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
has anyone used the mackie ProFX12 mackie mixer? If so, how would it hook up easily (I'm sure it can) to two amps; one for bass speakers and one for highs?

Please advise.
yes you can hook it up that way, you just have to series both of your amps together, connect the main in of one of the amps to the main out of the other, then connect your main out of the board ( mackie )to the main in of your main amp..make sure you use the the amp with higher wattage for your subs, and use the other one for your highs ( connect your board to the one with the lower wattage.) i have the dfx 12 , i think the pro and the the dfx12 is the same the only diff. is that the pro has the usb port and its pre loaded with the tractor software, now if your laptop is a windows media center, i'm not sure if the pro12 will worked, caused of the tractor software..good choice, i have been using mackies for a while ( 7 years almost ) now( boards and speakers ) i have 4 of them 2) dfx 6 ,1 )cfx12 and 1) dfx 12., and the active srm 450's speakers ,they used to be called tapco.
Old December 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM

New Mackie Mixer

Quote:

Please advise.
I've never used the Mackie Mixer as i preferred slide over the knobs. Always used Yamaha.
Now i use the Bose LII with the tone engine that has a usb port. The Bose USB port takes the music from my computer via USB cord and eliminated the mini plug i used previously to connect my computer to my mixer. I would think the mackie works the same, and should, as i love the USB connection. Music sounds much clearer and i don't think its my imagination.
Muzicman
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM

i'm not sure, but i think the way it works was instead of plugging your laptops mini to 1/4 to the boards channels, you can use the usb port of your laptop to the usb port of the board and that will bring out the sound of the laptop ( works like a sound card )
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:11 AM
VIP

[quote=billyo;86626]yes you can hook it up that way, you just have to series both of your amps together, connect the main in of one of the amps to the main out of the other, quote]

Billy,
I already have both amps hooked up to the behringer. I have the main out going to the higher wattage Sub Amps (has an internal crossover at 125Hz), and the cd/tape out goes to the High-end Amp. EV Speakers. Works nicely for five years, decent sound, big room, get compliments all the time.

Want to make sure the CD/tape out is wired similarly as the Behringer, then I can use the same wires/cords I use now transferred over to the mackie.

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I've never used the Mackie Mixer as i preferred slide over the knobs. Always used Yamaha.
Now i use the Bose LII with the tone engine that has a usb port. The Bose USB port takes the music from my computer via USB cord and eliminated the mini plug i used previously to connect my computer to my mixer. I would think the mackie works the same, and should, as i love the USB connection. Music sounds much clearer and i don't think its my imagination.
Muzicman
This mixer DOES have the sliders as I would not have considered it either.

Also, so you are saying that all you need is one of those USB cords to go directly from laptop/shuttle into mixer, with nothing in between? My whole reason is to eliminate the miniplug and/or that little behringer usb sound card I've been using.

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM

[quote=bryant;86649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
yes you can hook it up that way, you just have to series both of your amps together, connect the main in of one of the amps to the main out of the other, quote]

Billy,
I already have both amps hooked up to the behringer. I have the main out going to the higher wattage Sub Amps (has an internal crossover at 125Hz), and the cd/tape out goes to the High-end Amp. EV Speakers. Works nicely for five years, decent sound, big room, get compliments all the time.

Want to make sure the CD/tape out is wired similarly as the Behringer, then I can use the same wires/cords I use now transferred over to the mackie.
i'm cant figure out why you have the cd/tape out going into your amp, you should have the main input of the amp going into the main output of your board,i use an active srm 450 mackie speakers and the main input of the speakers are connected to the main output of my board and i used my cd/tape out to plug in my ext. cd recorder, the cd/tape in where i hook my cdg player, that's how i get to record my singers..but anyway if it works for you don't change anything..
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Bryant, in my opinion theres no way to elliminate the cables, you have to hook up a cable from your laptop to the board, without it you won't have any sounds at all, if you get the pro12 you have to hook up a usb cable from your laptop to the usb port of the pro12 in order to get a sound , if i'm not mistaken the pro 12 came loaded with a tractor software..and i also i dont think you need to use the usb port of the board, you can just hook it up like youve been doing.mini to 1/4 to one of the boards channels.

Last edited by billyo; December 7th, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Answers to your questions

Could you tell me exactly which model amps you are using? There may be another way to get you connected. Might even be simpler.

Basically, merge your outputs from your mixer into a single XLR connection (you can find adapters for this at most music stores) and run them into one (only) of the two XLR inputs on your amp. The other XLR input is often setup to serve as a line level output when operated in this manner (there is usally some kind of switch on the back of the amp to set this up). Connect an XLR cable from this connection to the input of your other amp and there you go. Both connected and far simpler set up. This is how I run my monitor speakers. The downside here is that now you will have to operate in mono instead of stereo. If you are leary of this then I can tell you from experience that after running mono for over a decade. No one has ever noticed. Plus you can also bridge your amps and run them at 4 Ohms with these types of setups. More power and actually easier on your amps as long as its controlled.

The USB port on the ProFX12/8 is used for streaming the main mix to a recording DAW software and sending a stereo stream from a computer program (such as hoster or a DJ program). I believe its level is controlled by the USB input knob near the EQ sliders. I don't think it is possible to reroute it to a slider of any type except the main output. If you are insterested in one that allows you to connect to each line you might look into a Yamaha N8 or N12. The cost is higher but it allows you the ability to run several items back and forth to your computer simultaneously via single firewire cable and is assignable to input sliders. Stay clear of the M-audio NRV-10. Its crap for live purposes. From what I've seen the USB connections on mixers are all single stereo in and out (even on some of the higher end mixers like the Allen & Heath ZED series which are far better built) which gives the firewire units a strong advantage in that they have multiple stereo ins and outs.

Good luck with the Mackie. I have looked at it and it seems pretty solid and should serve you well for quite some time. The main reason I didn't go with it is that I am moving into a lot more live sound applications and there weren't enough connections plus I prefer firewire. USB has too many issues for my taste. I am waiting for USB 3.0 to see if it has resolved them.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM

USB from Compurter to Board

Quote:
Bryant, in my opinion theres no way to elliminate the cables, you have to hook up a cable from your laptop to the board, without it you won't have any sounds at all, if you get the pro12 you have to hook up a usb cable from your laptop to the usb port of the pro12 in order to get a sound , if i'm not mistaken the pro 12 came loaded with a tractor software..and i also i dont think you need to use the usb port of the board, you can just hook it up like youve been doing.mini to 1/4 to one of the boards channels.
I am using a Creative Lab Sound Card in my computer. When i went to the Bose and used the USB Port on my mixer, i simply plugged it in, using the settings provided by my mixer, and eliminated the mini-plug, and cables. My Bose Tone Engine routes it through a channel on the mixer, which gives you all the features, EQ. Reverb, etc., that you would normally use, per channel. I believe you can also do this with the Mackie. You can always use the same mini plug-1/4 as you always have if this route does not work for you.
The Creative Sound Card is still installed in my computer and i still use the EQ settings on it sometime. No problem, except the music is better with the USB setup. If at all possible, I will never use the mini plug again.
Hope this helps,
Muzicman
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
VIP

Quote:
This mixer DOES have the sliders as I would not have considered it either.

Also, so you are saying that all you need is one of those USB cords to go directly from laptop/shuttle into mixer, with nothing in between? My whole reason is to eliminate the miniplug and/or that little behringer usb sound card I've been using.
Yikes, you guys must think I'm kinda slow, but I just haven't been explaining myself clear enough here.

I did mean a cable from laptop to Mixer, but without a sound card in between the laptop and mixer,(like the shutlle has now) i.e., laptop to mixer using just the USB2.0 connectors, period.

Also, Someone mentioned why not use the minijack, the purpose is to avoid the minijack from the laptops sound card (I hate using that route).

And, I DO hook up the Mixer main out to the amp's main in. This feeds the bass bins. The CD/tape out of the mixer feeds the other Amp that feeds the High-end Speakers. The main volume slider controls both outputs on the behringer mixer. Two mixer outputs: Two amps: Two sets of speakers: Volume controlled by main slider.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM

And something I just noticed about this particular mixer is that there are 2 sets of main outs, one pair on top of the console and one pair on the back. You could run your sub amp from one pair and the full range amp from the other pair. A lot more connections but it is an option and you could still run stereo if you like. It would keep you from having to use the unbalanced tape outs and be able to run a balanced cable so your signal would be much cleaner to your amps.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
VIP

[quote=billyo;86653]
Quote:

i'm cant figure out why you have the cd/tape out going into your amp, you should have the main input of the amp going into the main output of your board,i use an active srm 450 mackie speakers and the main input of the speakers are connected to the main output of my board and i used my cd/tape out to plug in my ext. cd recorder, the cd/tape in where i hook my cdg player, that's how i get to record my singers..but anyway if it works for you don't change anything..
Ya, just a lil confusion on how I previously explained my set up.

The main input of my Amp does come from the main output of the mixer, as you stated, AND, the main input of another Amp (I use two amps feeding two sets of speakers, one for bass bins, and one for high-end speakers.) comes from the cd/tape output, as it is wired together with the main out and both are controlled with the main volume slider on the behringer. just wanted to make sure I can continue doing the same thing with the new mackie mixer as well as avoiding having to use the laptop's mini-jack audio out of the laptops sound card. (By simpoly connecting usb port to usb port of the laptop and mixer.)

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:35 PM
VIP

Quote:
Bryant, if you get the pro12 you have to hook up a usb cable from your laptop to the usb port of the pro12 in order to get a sound

Right, this is exactly what i am hoping to be able to do.

I want to avoid using that mini jack from the lappy.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
Could you tell me exactly which model amps you are using? There may be another way to get you connected. Might even be simpler.

Basically, merge your outputs from your mixer into a single XLR connection (you can find adapters for this at most music stores) and run them into one (only) of the two XLR inputs on your amp. The other XLR input is often setup to serve as a line level output when operated in this manner (there is usally some kind of switch on the back of the amp to set this up). Connect an XLR cable from this connection to the input of your other amp and there you go. Both connected and far simpler set up. This is how I run my monitor speakers. The downside here is that now you will have to operate in mono instead of stereo. If you are leary of this then I can tell you from experience that after running mono for over a decade. No one has ever noticed. Plus you can also bridge your amps and run them at 4 Ohms with these types of setups. More power and actually easier on your amps as long as its controlled.
Hmm, pretty coolI'll send you the models no.s of amps as soon as I get to the post (club) where they are. But how will this effect the outputs of the bass amp (has built in crossover at 125 Hz(sends 125 and below to bass bins) and the outputs of the high-end amps which sends full range to speakers.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
VIP

Quote:
And something I just noticed about this particular mixer is that there are 2 sets of main outs, one pair on top of the console and one pair on the back. You could run your sub amp from one pair and the full range amp from the other pair. A lot more connections but it is an option and you could still run stereo if you like. It would keep you from having to use the unbalanced tape outs and be able to run a balanced cable so your signal would be much cleaner to your amps.
Not really concerned about stereo but agree with you on cleaner signal. didn't notice the main outputs on top when i was looking at the mackie site, are you sure they weren't send/return effects or womething else, as I seem to remember.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
The Creative Sound Card is still installed in my computer and i still use the EQ settings on it sometime. No problem, except the music is better with the USB setup. If at all possible, I will never use the mini plug again.
Hope this helps,
Muzicman
Thanks muzic, that's my goal here.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
VIP

Quote:
The USB port on the ProFX12/8 is used for streaming the main mix to a recording DAW software and sending a stereo stream from a computer program (such as hoster or a DJ program). I believe its level is controlled by the USB input knob near the EQ sliders. I don't think it is possible to reroute it to a slider of any type except the main output.
Thanks, Mono. Big help here. Are you saying that I can set this little knob for the usb out volume, but then also use the main slider as a volume control as well. My wife will be using it and she HATES those knob controls, too.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
But how will this effect the outputs of the bass amp (has built in crossover at 125 Hz(sends 125 and below to bass bins) and the outputs of the high-end amps which sends full range to speakers.
It shouldn't affect it at all but without knowing what they are I really don't know for sure. There may be something proprietary with that particular model. As a general rule the second input port on most amps can be switched to an output (basically what goes in comes right back out the other input connection) so you can route to multiple amps and connected speakers the exact same signal.

Also the USB is only good for one stereo signal to your computer and one stereo signal from your computer. If you run multiple audio programs at once, like I do, you will have to run a cable out of the 1/8 inch out port on the laptop to the mixer.

Monolith Entertainment
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
VIP

Quote:
Also the USB is only good for one stereo signal to your computer and one stereo signal from your computer. If you run multiple audio programs at once, like I do, you will have to run a cable out of the 1/8 inch out port on the laptop to the mixer.

Oh,oh, if I am running virtual DJ along with Hoster, why can't virtual Dj also send it's audio out through the usb too. As only one program would be sending a signal at any given time.