MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
VIP

Slight looseness in 7-pin connector to Dell laptop

I have a video 7-pin connector from the laptop that adapts to an rca cable and then on to my tv monitor. Once in a while I lose the tv monitor view; I then push the 7-pin adapter in a bit or just move it slightly and the view comes back. I have tried several different 7-pin adapters and it still happens. Who may know some good workarounds or what might need to be repaired on my end.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Hoping it's minor?

Old October 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
VIP

My guess would be that one or more of the pin sockets on the svideo from your laptop has a loose/broken connection. Jiggling it gets it back in contact.

It's probably going to get worse or at some point jiggling will no longer offer a temporary fix.
I'm not real familiar with a laptops innards but looking at a desktop graphics card suggest this will not be an easy fix. Before integrated circuits and boards you could probably get out the soldering iron and fix it, but I don't think you'd be that lucky today.

I have a power supply socket on a laptop that is the same way and have been told by repair people that this is not a cheap fix.

Sam
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Quote:
I have a video 7-pin connector from the laptop that adapts to an rca cable and then on to my tv monitor. Once in a while I lose the tv monitor view; I then push the 7-pin adapter in a bit or just move it slightly and the view comes back. I have tried several different 7-pin adapters and it still happens. Who may know some good workarounds or what might need to be repaired on my end.
Anyone else ever experience this?

Hoping it's minor?

just wondering where you got your 7 pin s-video cable at, both of my dell laptops has 7 pins and i don't have any problems with it, i read that youve tried several cables, get one from s-video.com ( they have diff.lenghts ) and i'm pretty sure it will work , the once i got stays in real tight, or get one from dell for $10.00 it has s/video, rca connectors..
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
just wondering where you got your 7 pin s-video cable at, both of my dell laptops has 7 pins and i don't have any problems with it, i read that youve tried several cables, get one from s-video.com ( they have diff.lenghts ) and i'm pretty sure it will work , the once i got stays in real tight, or get one from dell for $10.00 it has s/video, rca connectors..
ya, what it probably is, is that the video input on the laptop got worn from pulling the adapter in and out over several years, 5 or 6 nights awee, and the holes get larger and the adapter fits looser (I hope). maybe a different one, as you suggest, may tend to fit tighter, at least for a while.

thanx guys.

Old October 5th, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
ya, what it probably is, is that the video input on the laptop got worn from pulling the adapter in and out over several years, 5 or 6 nights awee, and the holes get larger and the adapter fits looser (I hope). maybe a different one, as you suggest, may tend to fit tighter, at least for a while.

thanx guys.
i built a case for my laptop and the s-video to rca( male ) cable is always plugged in, i bought a female to female adaptor from radio schack and i have it screwed on the back of my case, so everytime i play i just plugged the male end of the viewer screen ( i pre wired ) to the back of my case and vice versa..