MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM
VIP

Re: Best Monthly Series for staying current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
Well, if there is actual cases where the courts are ruling that you cannot convert your CD+Gs over to a hard drive... then that means you cannot legally do that.
No there are actual cases that rule that shifting them WITHOUT their permission (again Sound Choice only at this time) is not legal. Going through the audit for Sound Choice will authorize the media shift.

Quote:
I wonder if any music publishers are suing DJs for putting regular music on a hard drive and playing it in a public venue... cause if you can't do this with CD+Gs, then certainly you cannot do it with regular music.
Publishers won't go after dj's, they will go after the club they play in for the PRO fees - but if an illegal dj (no paid for music) is working there, then they will hit up the dj too.
Regular music do not have the same licensing. CDG is an audio/visual where as music is just audio. Sync rights do not apply, so different rules for non-cdg music. Stupid yes!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
No there are actual cases that rule that shifting them WITHOUT their permission is not legal. Going through the audit for Sound Choice will authorize the media shift.
Huh? Shifting from disc to hard drive without permission is OK?

Or, did you mean to say shifting with their permission is OK?

This is all so goofy... if you purchased the original, then you should be able to have a back up whether it be in a CDR or one a hard drive.

So, if you ditch the latop... can you play your back up CDR at your shows if you purchased the original?
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM
VIP

Quote:
Huh? Shifting from disc to hard drive without permission is OK?

Or, did you mean to say shifting with their permission is OK?

This is all so goofy... if you purchased the original, then you should be able to have a back up whether it be in a CDR or one a hard drive.

So, if you ditch the latop... can you play your back up CDR at your shows if you purchased the original?
Per Sound Choice, shifting THEIR product to computer (or CDR) is illegal (not ok) unless you submit to an audit - which the audit is showing SC that the SC tracks on the computer match up 1 to 1 with the original discs.
Once you get the audit, the media shift of their product is now considered authorized (ok).

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:01 AM

What if you only have two SC disks and you aren't planning on getting any more?

Will they still make you pay $4000 for the audit?

Does that cover air fare, hotel and car rental to get to their place... or do they come to you?

Just curious about the details of the audit.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
VIP

Quote:
What if you only have two SC disks and you aren't planning on getting any more?

Will they still make you pay $4000 for the audit?

Does that cover air fare, hotel and car rental to get to their place... or do they come to you?

Just curious about the details of the audit.
The audit costs $225 I believe and no if you only had 2 discs, they will most likely work with you for a few bucks. And it's usually done by Skype or they'll send someone out to verify.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM

OK, I may offend someone... but, that's not too bad to assure that they won't be on your back in the future.

What about the other manufacturers? How do you get permission from them to go digital?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
VIP

Rockrz,

At this time Sound Choice is the only manufacturer that is Suing the KJ or Venue over Illegal or Unauthorized Media Shifts of their Original Media (CDG's) to a hardrive. Chartbuster has also been indicating that they are "watching" the SC results of their Business Model of Litigation to expose the Piracy or Trade Mark Infringement of their product. As Lonman states, as long as you can prove 1:1 disk to hardrive ratio, and the venue has paid their PRO ( BMI, ASCAP, ) Fees, then you should be safe from prosecution... but without the Audit from SC authorizing the media-shift to computer, you could still be investigated (during show) and named in a lawsuit... then during discovery at the trial, an audit MUST be performed, and the cost to the KJ is much higher...

The forum section at Karaoke Scene Magazine has a lot of information that we won't re-hash here, but if you're interested, go sign up to the forum at karaokescene.com and read to your hearts content...

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
then you should be safe from prosecution...
I think a smart business person would be troubled by this "should be" stuff and would seek a more concrete solution such as paying to authorize your shift so it doesn't cost you alot more in the future if they bust you.

That'd be the legally safe thing to do since it is what it is...
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
VIP

That's the current argument among KJ's... Do I get an audit, prior to getting sued, thus paying one manufacturer for the permission to download or upload their cdg's or digital mp3g's... or wait to be investigated, get sued, and prove 1:1 compliance. Not use SC product at all. Be Original Disk KJ Using SC cdg's as they were originally intended to be used... Choice is yours, but very small percentages of KJ's are paying for Audit, until they get sued, and then even the worst pirates ( loaded Hardrives purchased without having discs ) can Purchase SC's Gem Series and become legit, or allowed to carry on and compete with you for your gigs.

SC is not going after the main problem, ie. the hardrive sellers on E-bay or Craig's list, because that would put a kink in their current business model, of suing anybody that is using a computer to play SC content, where their Logo is copied (Shown on monitor) and then can be sued, and made to pay for their transgressions by purchasing a Court Ordered Audit for $500 and/or the Gem Series for $8000, which can then be shifted to your computer... Nice Business Model Right? Also they haven't produced any new music in 3 years, so it is all of their older product, that they were able to legally license, and produce in a limited quantity... so they are a stagnant Manufacturer at best... who are using litigation to sell or force compliance to previous customers, pirates, infringers, etc. and liquidate old product...

I just disagree with their method of Litigation to recover lost income caused by the pirating of their Intellectual Property... Where the main problem (hardrive sellers) is not their 1st priority... IMHO

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
VIP

I was one to pay for the audit. I have over 700 SC discs that get used and requested 7 nights a week. It was a wise move IMO. If you only have 2 SC discs and don't plan on getting anymore, contact them and see what it would cost, otherwise i'd just leave those two discs out of the equation & use the other manus. From what I understand, most kj's have got written ok's from most of the manus to shift their product.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Choice is yours, but very small percentages of KJ's are paying for Audit, until they get sued, and then even the worst pirates ( loaded Hardrives purchased without having discs ) can Purchase SC's Gem Series and become legit, or allowed to carry on and compete with you for your gigs.
The ones up here had to buy the GEM, but from what I am understanding from customers that used to frequent their shows, they had to get rid of everything else on their hard drives so that's ALL they have is the GEM. One singer told me on kj went from over 150K songs to 5000!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
The ones up here had to buy the GEM, but from what I am understanding from customers that used to frequent their shows, they had to get rid of everything else on their hard drives so that's ALL they have is the GEM. One singer told me on kj went from over 150K songs to 5000!
I've read that also... just don't know how much the post litigation process would uncover a pirate that is still using a loaded hardrive, once they are protected by the Certification from Sound Choice allowing them to shift content from the Gem? But I agree that is what SC should be doing in order to put a little fear in the Pirates, as well as squash a few of the loaded hardrive sellers on the internet...

Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
I've read that also... just don't know how much the post litigation process would uncover a pirate that is still using a loaded hardrive, once they are protected by the Certification from Sound Choice allowing them to shift content from the Gem? But I agree that is what SC should be doing in order to put a little fear in the Pirates, as well as squash a few of the loaded hardrive sellers on the internet...
Well from what I understand (my cousin worked at one of the places that got nailed), the busted have to sign an agreement that they will not use pirated material in the future and if caught doing so would result in stiffer penalties including stiffer fines & possible confiscation of equipment.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM

Think I should write them a letter and ask them if I can move my 3 SC dicss (just got one more last night) to digital. I'm actually only doing gospel musc, so there's not much to be had in that genre by SC.

Even though I'm not going to be playing any bars, I'd like to be legally able to run all this on my laptop.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

I would think if you only have 3 Soundchoice records just discard them.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I would think if you only have 3 Soundchoice records just discard them.
That's not going to happen... I'll do the best I can to be legal, and if I need to pay $250 then it's a tax write off... I don't care.

I also have some Chartbusters, so I guess I need to see who owns their music now and ask for an audit from them to.

Or, I could simply document all my purchases and leave it at that since I'm not going to be in any nightclubs anyway. I know I'm not ripping anyone off and it's highly unlikely I'll ever be approached.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
VIP

Digitrax and/or Piracy Recovery own the Chartbuster trademark now.
http://www.digitraxentertainment.com/

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Just for some fun reading i guess from an old dude, i'll chime in. Although i promised myself a year ago to stay out of these sort of conversations. If you visit a website who says they are legit, why in the world would you sweat that they're not? why would you care? like dale says, with receipt in hand, why would you even give it another thought? Not a judge in the world gonna hang ya son. Well..unless you live in the state of washington, or new hamsphire, hanging is still legal there. But seriously, i have all but stopped purchasing any new or old music altogher now. I am in the process of dropping my two chartbuster monthly subscriptions.

This year i celebrated my 7th year at the same private club. So i'm doing something right i reckon. I just had a meeting with the boss. And we discussed the ongoing degeneration of this industry, and the hassel of securing new songs, with the continued lawyer-for-hire lawsuites for money situation. And we both agreed we simply don't need the hassle. I also made it clear to my singers that if they want a song, they can purchase it, and i will play it. I listed an announcement in my song books, and listed several websites where they can purchase cdg's. I'm done with the hassle. I just made it clear to my singers, some going on the second generation of singers. With all the mess out there caused by a few greety individual companies and organizations. That i will not be purchasing anymore music PERIOD! If it's a very popular song on the radio, i may pick it up i dunno.

It's mind boggling that a great company like mtu, would dedicate their efforts to come up with fresh idea's, and request for features that we all want, yet, we can't even agree on what to load into their software? If i were David Cox, i'd be banging my head against the wall. Features like tempo change for instance. And haven forbid an upgrade doesn't work right on your puter after download. It's never our fault give'me a break.

This forum here, is the only source for correct karaoke information, and this is the only outlet i visit. The other forums have finger pointing, threats, misinformation, insults, accusations, bullying, name calling. Karaoke use to move in a positive way, with fresh idea's, innovations, with great innovative and creative companies like mtu leading the way. MTU has even spent out of pocket money on legal research. And we still can't come together to decide what to load in their software? rediculious.

It's hard to imagine that sound choice, chartbuster and others, would like to hold back this entertainment industry out of greed. If you asked these companies to be honest with you, and to level with you, they would tell you that they still claim format shifting, and the use of computer presentation software for our shows is still illegal in their opinion. But with their arm around you, assure you, that they will "allow" you to continue if you follow their set of rules, is simply again ...mind boggling. With all this hassle, and misinformation still floating around out there, i'm surprised most of the kj's aren't on ativan or prozac...seriously. Well anyways..i have cows to bring in and milk. You guys carry on and try to find some time to actually enjoy what you're doing...Just a perspective from an old dude....

{Note A Disclaimer: I know less about the karaoke industry then anyone on this outlet, and less about mtu software then any newbe that just purchased their first download}
Great input yes it is sad and I myself have shows in the same places now for years and could careless what is right or wrong now a days. Hosts today out there have the music that's about it cut prices to the bone and make things hard for the good hosts out there that can keep a show for years at a time. I have many complaints but I just forget about them and move forward. The only music I update now is let say if I don't have the song this week will have it next week if its on karaoke. No need to carry all the tunes that never get played.
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

The title of this thread is:
Best Monthly Series for staying current.

But again it has been diverted to the legal issues

Sound choice is out of the equation as they no longer seem to produce new music.

I still have my monthly Sunfly disc delivered but apart from that I download most other tracks from the various suppliers available.
The beauty of these download sites is you can view & listen to all the available versions and decide there and then which you think is the best version before purchasing

I don't think any one particular manufacturer always makes the best version. With the download site you get the chance to make an informed decision.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; May 24th, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:23 AM
VIP

This thread was started in 2011, and as we all know the litigation factor is especially important to KJ's here in the USA... Roy and a few others from abroad have another organization that protects and licenses the music and copywrites of the song writers/performers of Their own Intellectual Property (PRS) in the UK. Some of the more popular download sites are not licensed to distribute here in the USA or Canada... so it's a risk that some KJ's here are taking, by downloading from sites other than All Star or Tricerasoft... the business model of Sound Choice is still viable, if you have any of their cdg's uploaded to your hardrive... since they are pursuing the legal avenue available to them, to recoup some of their lost profits, caused by piracy of their music library... thus they have not made any new karaoke music for approximately 3 years... their income is derived from the lawsuits, audits and the sale of the Gem series, which is most of their core music that still could be licensed here in the USA, and ripped to CDG's, that SC allows to be downloaded by the purchasers of this Gem series of 6000 songs on 220 cdg's... most of us "old-timers" fulfill the client requests with individual downloads, or custom cdg's... but I for one still await the day when you can operate in this business again without worrying if your purchased music is truly legally licensed, and you are above reproach by the one or two manufacturers that believe suing their customers is a better business model... didn't mean to hijack this thread, but the current situation in keeping current with your karaoke music, also involves knowing whether the music you purchase is legally licensed, and that you don't face litigation in the future for buying the same, in good faith... Thanks for letting me vent...