MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 21st, 2003, 01:37 AM

Making CD+G Disc

Since I've only found (1) John Prine song, "Illegal Smile", available on karaoke, I was wondering if I can make a karaoke CD+G of a CD digital audio titled "Sweet Revenge" that I have of John Prine?
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:27 AM

Dart Girl,

Yes. You would first need to import the audio file to the hard drive using Microstudio.

Then, depending on whether there was a vocal on the track or not, you would need to reduce/remove the vocal as much as possible with Vogone.

If needed you can also do any key changing that you want with Keyrite.

You would then use KaraokePro to add lyrics, title and credit pages and produce your own CDG.

Note: It is not essential to go through all these steps. You could go directly from importing the track with Microstudio to creating the CDG with KaraokePro. I mention Vogone and Keyrite as they may or may not come into play depending on the audio file you are using and your own particular needs.

Hope this answers your question.

George
Old May 24th, 2003, 05:19 PM

George,

This is the first chance I've had to get back. Been pretty busy. I have all MTU's programs, KHPro, Keyrite, and Vogone. Sooooo.....

1. I imported the John Prine CD to my hard drive as a WAV file.
2. There is vocal on the tracts, 12 of them, so I went to Vogone.
3. I selected Program Folder:
C:\Micro Technology Unlimited\Vogone2\Vogone2.exe
4. Clicked on run Vogone Button.
5. I'm now stuck. Select Imput file? What would that be?
If it's the 12 John Prine Songs, do I have to do them
individually? If so, how do I do that?
6. Then there's the: Create Output File? Again, what would that
file be, and how is it done?
7. My hopes are to make a Karaoke CD of John Prine's Audio CD.
8. Hope you can help. If it would be feasible, I think that
step by step instructions, like I've done here, might make it
easier for me :->.
9. Have a Great Day!

Dart Girl
Old May 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Dart Girl,

Just passing through and checking my mail. Kinda busy too. Will try to get back with you later tonight. Wanted you to know you weren't being ignored.

Take care,

George

If someone else wants to jump in , no problem
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:58 PM

Dart Girl,

When it asks you to "Select Input File" it is asking you which track you wish to work with.

Click on the words " Select Input File"

A window will open.

Click on the arrow at the right of the "look in" box. This opens a drop down menu to find the folder where you imported the songs to. They should be listed indivually as you named them.

Double click the song you wish to use.

After selecting the input file, unclick"Create Mono File For Karaoke".

Click the Low vocal reduction control box. The song should start playing. Slowly slide the Low slider to the left until you hear nothing.

Click the High vocal reduction control box. Slowly slide the high slider to the right until you hear nothing.

Click Play Vogone. Repeat the Low and High steps until you get maximum results.

Increase output level back to normal by sliding the Output Amplitude slider up until it is close to it's original level. You can switch back and forth between "Play Original" and "Play Vogone" to check this.

The Remove slider lets you remove less than full removal when desired.

Now comes the part where you will get conflicting information. There is a school of thought that Karaoke players do not play stereo. Not so. Most will play stereo and most of those that won't will automatically convert stereo to mono. It is therefore unnecessary to check the "Create Mono File For Karaoke" block, which compromises the stereo effect. Leave it unchecked.

Now, depending on whether you're in the Play Original or the Play Vogone mode, simply click Stop.

After you've processed it through Vogone and want to save your work, you stop the playback and click "Select Output File". A "Save As" box pops up, with a place to enter the name you wish to give the output file.
I always type in the same info as the input file, except I identify it as having been through Vogone by adding a VG. This prevents overwriting the original and makes the new file easy to find.

I would type in c:\your folder\crazyvg if the original .WAV file was c:\your folder\crazy.wav No need to type in .WAV as the program will do that.

Click "Save"

Click "Write File" at the top.

Dialog box pops up asking if you wish to write file, click "Yes"
when done, dialog box pops up telling you it's finished. Click "OK".

The only thing I haven't mentioned(I hope), are the Loop Start and Loop End sliders in the play control section. These are there to prevent you from having to play an entire song over and over until you get it processed. you set the Begin Loop slider at the beginning of the vocal portion of the song, and the End Loop slider further into the portion of the vocal and that section in between the sliders will keep repeating until you're done. Whatever degree of vocal reduction you achieve between the sliders will prevail throughout the song.

Vogone can also be used on strictly instrumentals to get rid of or reduce an overpowering lead instrument to make the song easier to sing to. Opens up a whole new avenue for creating your own Karaoke cdg's.

DON'T BLAME YOURSELF OR THE PROGRAM IF THE RESULTS ARE NOT AS SATISFACTOY AS YOU DESIRED. VOCAL REMOVAL CAN BE ANYWHERE FROM NEAR TOTAL TO HARDLY ANY NOTICABLE DIFFERENCE. IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE MANNER IN WHICH THE RECORDING WAS MADE; THE CENTERING OF THE SINGER AS RELATED TO THE STEREO TRACKS(CALLED CENTER PANNING, IF EQUALLY DIVIDED), THE AMOUNT OF REVERB AND/OR ECHO ADDED TO THE LEAD, ETC.,ETC.,ETC.

You might want to read the posts in the Vogone Forums to get a better handle on this.

Take care,

George

Do as you wish, but to make my life simpler using all these programs, I made a new folder directly on C: that I named MTU SONGLIST. I import all my CDG and .WAV tracks into that folder. The programs(Microstudio,Kpro, etc) will find the appropriate format for you because you will input whether you are trying to use a .WAV or a CDG file. It makes navigation a whole lot easier, at least for me. If you already have a system in place that you're comfortable with, then ignore this idea.

Last edited by George; May 25th, 2003 at 08:41 AM.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Unhappy I'm heartbroken!

Dart Girl, have you tried to read the Vogone manual? It explains all the questions you are asking here. We have edited it over the years with feedback such as George's above, given by users who had a difficult time understanding parts of it.

Click the Read Manual button at the bottom left of the Vogone screen. It gives all the steps you need to follow, and then gives a detailed description of each operation like; loading music .wav files, importing a file to process, creating the output file to write to, adjusting the controls in the order that is best, etc.

I am confident you will find your answers in the Manual. As always, George has done a superb job of giving step by step instructions. As a matter of fact, his steps are already in the Quick Start section of the Vogone manual.
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:02 PM

Dear admin,
I purchased a PleXWriter Internal ATAPI(E-IDE) CD-RW
48/24/48, Microstudio V2.400, Karaoke Pro 4.008, Vogone V2.104,
and Keyrite V1.202 from MTU . The first thing I chose to do was, print manuals for each of these programs, as they were NOT included with the package that came to me, put them in sheet protectors, and place them in a binder HUH ? The second thing I chose to do was, BEFORE attempting any tasks, was familiarize myself by reading the 68 pages of Microstudio,
61 pages of Karaoke Pro, 15 pages of Vogone, and 11 pages of Keyrite . The third thing I chose to do was, one of Microstudios easiest projects, Duplicate Disc. This was only achieved AFTER calling MTU, and Doug walking me through this which took all of 1 to 2 minutes. I do not mean to be or for the previous sentence appear to be facetious. I'm serious as the day is long on the time it took. What is soooo easy for ya'll, considering the veteran status I'm sure most of you have, is sometimes soooo hard for the novice such as myself new to all of this. I regret you had to be heartbroken right off the bat when responding to my post. I've also had many feelings, but none of being especially since I spent the approximate $400.00 making sure I had everything I needed, to do everything I wanted, just mostly the feeling of . Last but not least, when I'm running Vogone, you mention a "Read Manual" button at the bottom left of the screen. There isn't one on mine, although if I click the help button at the top, it takes me to the Microstudio manual. You also mention the "Quick Start Section" in the Vogone manual, so with diligence I've read & I've re-read only to find this section DOES NOT exist. Do you think the final analysis is that I have all the WRONG stuff with all the WRONG manuals, trying to do what I think is all the RIGHT things .
Sincerely, Dart Girl
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:50 PM

DART GIRL,

You must be opening Vogone through Microstudio. If you'll notice, Microstudio is still in the background. That is the Microstudio Help, and manual you are opening from the top of the page. There's nothing mixed up. The Vogone Manual is the lower left hand button in the Vogone page that says READ MANUAL.

ADMIN,

Dart Girl is correct. There is no QUICK START section in the Vogone Manual, not that I can find.

George
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:04 AM

George,

Eureka!!! I found the Read Manual Button on the Vogone page.

Dart Girl