MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM

Re: The reality of Karaoke?

I come from both sides of this. I am mainly a singer but as much as I go out I have several DJs that have become friends of mine so if they are in a pinch they call me to KJ for them.

The bigest key for sounding good is to leave the area of your equipment and venture out through the audiance. Use this time to mingle with them, get to know how everyone is liking the show and listen to your sound. Nothing annoys me more then to go to the same place with the same equipment and KJ and have different sounds on the same song you sing.

One thing that was mentioned that caught my attention was the singer saying I can't hear myself. Where I go I have to tell the KJ I can't hear myself once in a while. it is the same system and setup but the settings change and he doesn't notice it. I hate having to say something because I know he takes it personally but lets face it if you can't hear yourself you can't always sound as good as you can.

On the same subject if you know the singer is drunk and roughty be at your system with your hand on the volume. Nothing is more irritating then a singer wooting and screaming into the Mic and the KJ no where near the system. nine times out of ten I can see who is going to be yelling and screaming into the Mic. I shouldn't have to swollow the Mic so I can hear myself but I also shouldn't have to plug my ears when someone screams in the Mic.

As for singing while you are the KJ I think the first singer should always be the KJ and it should mark the begining of the rotation. I try to be to a Karaoke show a half hour before it starts so I can be close to the first singer and I like to know I am 2 or three after the KJ.

Now I have a question about rotation. Nothing bothers me more then watching someone walk in at 11:45 and walk right up and sing. By that time I have been waiting to sing for two and a half hours and they walk right in and sing. The KJ writes down the singers name as they walk in and if we are near the end of the list and they walk in the sing right away. When I KJ I place new arivals in places where other singers have left or at the end of the list but then I am doing the same thing. I feel bad for the people who came in at 10:00 and waited an hour and 45 minutes only to have someone walk in the bar and sing 5 minutes later. I have no answer for this, any suggestions?

One more Idea I had and I need an opinion on. I believe the people there for the whole night should be treated a little more special then the in and out customers so I thought of a way to treat them better but have never tried it. Karaoke starts at 9:00 and runs until 2:00 on the weekend here. I wanted to reward the all nighters by letting the early comers sing one more song and here is how I wanted to do it. The list starts at 9:00 at 10:00 I draw a line under the last singer. When the rotation comes to that line I go back to the begining of the list and the rotation begins again. I would have this on a Flyer in several places that says we appreciate the people who are here all night for Karaoke and this is how it is done blah blah kind of thing. This way the people who are there from 9-10 get to sing one more song and the rotation will continue after that. As long as I stick to that rule I feel it is fair. What do you guys think