MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Songverter Software > Songverter Help

Songverter Help Post Songverter questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:54 AM

New KMH Hoster files

Will Sonverter be able to handle the new KMH files?
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Re: New KMH Hoster files

Why would it have to?
The actual karaoke file is still in its original format. The KMH just has a header that Hoster uses for the information on that original file (location, bookid, title, artist etc.)
So there is nothing to convert unless you want to convert the original to another format.
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM

If you do any editing to the KMH, you would not be able update the original. It just seems strange that Songverter converts kmg files, why not kmh?
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator

KMA (kmg?) files are a self contained format.

KMH files, as Dale has pointed out, are "indexing" files that reference your MP3G, ZIP, etc. files that remain unmodified by the separate KMH files.

If you want to convert the MP3G, ZIP, etc. files called by KMH files, then don't delete the originals so the KMH's still work. Then, your converted copies have nothing to do with your KMH files.

As Dale wrote, why would you want to do anything with KMH files?
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM

I guess I'm quite confussed. I have imported my disc to Hoster which created KMA files (requiring a great deal of time). With these KMA files I convert them to a ZIP for archiving and backup using Songverter. As I frequently make edits using Hoster, I then convert the edited KMA file to a edited ZIP file and replace the old ZIP with the new edited file. Know as I understand it, any editing done in Hoster stays with the KMH file so I have no way to update my backup files. As I add new disks, I update my ZIP backup file so I always have a updated zip file which I can quickly import into Hoster when something screws up my KMA files. Reloading 400 disks is a real pain plus all the editing done would be lost. That is why I would want to convert a KMH file.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by is14fun View Post
I guess I'm quite confussed. I have imported my disc to Hoster which created KMA files (requiring a great deal of time). With these KMA files I convert them to a ZIP for archiving and backup using Songverter. As I frequently make edits using Hoster, I then convert the edited KMA file to a edited ZIP file and replace the old ZIP with the new edited file. Know as I understand it, any editing done in Hoster stays with the KMH file so I have no way to update my backup files. As I add new disks, I update my ZIP backup file so I always have a updated zip file which I can quickly import into Hoster when something screws up my KMA files. Reloading 400 disks is a real pain plus all the editing done would be lost. That is why I would want to convert a KMH file.
When you import from CD a KMA file is created which is one file including the header and the infomation from the CD. So to make a back-up as you are doing is right.
If you modify the KMA in Hoster like changing the Title or Artist information, then yes redo your back-up zip to reflect the corrections in the file name.

Now when you import from a zip file Hoster creates a second file in the folder that is a KMH. This file is only 256 bytes (Explorer will show 1 to 4Kb depending on how your hard drive is setup) that contains just the header information. You original zip file remains just as it was.
This means that you do not have to convert to make a back-up but just copy the ZIP to your back-up folder.

You can edit the KMH, but I wouldn't do anything to it's companion ZIP file (like edit its filename) or Hoster will no longer find it.

If all your imports are from CD then nothing changes in how you have been doing it. If you are also importing new from ZIP files then you have to be careful what you do.