MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 12th, 2002, 01:31 AM

You are Asuming I have not done so

For Whom it may concern, I did not avoid the post at all, when I bought my Karaoke Pro Machine From Dave Cox, He and I talked about this very topic for quite some time and the main purpose of my purchasing the Karaoke Pro Machine was to establish a new way for the budding star to get his or her music distributed, so other people could enjoy it and may be they can be discovered and launch a career.

Because I key their music in on a Karaoke Disc then we distribute them to all of the local KJ's and invite them to play the disc, I do this for free for some of the kids that would like to get their music noticed. We haven't made any one a star, but we have gotten several of them steady work in the local establishments.

As far as illegal file swaping, I don't see anywhere in my post that I even indicated that might be a remote possibility. I am talking about original music of these artist. Not copy-write stuff.

Just because its not something you see in the Karaoke singing doesn?t make it gospel, in my work I travel allot and I have sang Karaoke in about 40 of the states and over a 100 major cities, and if you think pros don't like Karaoke just go to the Las Vegas Karaoke Bars where they use the Karaoke Bars to audition for all of the shows in Las Vegas, Or go to Lynn Andersons, Karaoke Bar in San Diego and sit there in awe as Professional after professional get up and sing. I have been to places like that all over the country.

But Ladies and gentlemen, I made a suggestion based on your own post from last October; I just was not able or aware of the post at that time. I thought what you were talking about was a god idea and felt it warranted a little more attention.

So no, I was not being rude to Dave Cox, my ideas on this subject were discussed with him personally on the telephone one on one. Was using the forum discussed, no it was not. I?m interested in everything MTU does, and its of great interest to me since I represent the company in selling Hoster out here in the west, I would not sponsor or promote anything that could cause the copywrite police to come crashing through the doors.

All that I ask, is if you are going to accuse me of something please give me the courtesy of asking me first If I have taken the proper steps or even mentioned my ideas to the people it could effect. I stand to make a considerable amount of money off of this Hoster product. I would not do anything to foul that up.

I have a strong passion for music, both armature and professional, I can't help it, anyone who wants to try do something positive with music has my support and vote.

George, you are probably one of the most active members of all of the MTU Boards and you have an something to say in most of them and many of your post in the beta testing of Hoster has given me a much better understanding of the product, and I respect the fact that you don't mind speaking you piece, but you are wrong about me, I am a dedicated advocate of MTU.

David
Old November 12th, 2002, 08:17 AM

Infoby,
Have you looked at the singers forums that exist now like:

http://www.singers.com.ar/forum.htm

There are many more, but this linked site has singers demo's on the site for people to listen to.
I used Google, with the search words 'singers forum' and hit pages of nothing but singers looking to be discovered, it also listed karaoke venues for workshops. I believe if I was a talent agent looking for a future star, I would first look at a singers forum, instead of a software support forum.

But that's only my opinion.

Jim
Old November 12th, 2002, 08:18 AM

David,
Then you have my sincere apology. I was acting on what I saw. When I first mentioned checking with Dave Cox, you could have simply said it had been done, and that issue would have been closed.

As Far as illegal file transfer, I brought that in because no matter what the intent of the forum you suggest, rest assured that will occur. There are those who would record themselves on a copywritten piece of material and submit it as original just to be able to hear themselves singing on the web, and as I pointed out it would not be hard to provide "evidence" of copywrite. I consider myself to be an honest person, and if I can come up with a way to so easily produce a phony copywrite certificate, then so could anyone else

All that out of the way, as a singer and holder of several pieces of original copywritten material, I wouldn't be interested in participating. Nor do I blame the system that these pieces will never see publication. That's my responsibility.

I think it's sad that the pro's are starting to dominate the karaoke scene, even to the extent (as has been mentioned elsewhere on these forums) of running to the contests and literally "stealing" the money from those who it was intended for.

You keep referring to the October post, but overlook that it didn't generate much interest either.

Once again my apologies for a misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided, but you must admit that you continued to make it appear that there was no reason to check with Mr. Cox, therefore implying that you hadn't.

George

Lauraine,
I think you might have misread some of what was going on. The series of "da's" that went around were not directed at David, but in a tongue and cheek manner at each other, and at their originator, Steve Walker. I can only assume that's wahat you were referring to, as everything else was just straightforward no to the idea.
Old November 12th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

Yes, George, you are mainly right. It was the series of Das that I may have misinterpreted. Always a problem when dealing with similar but different languages. I am relieved to read the explanations.

Best wishes
Old November 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM

The Index Said Singer & Host

Jim I thank you for the new Link, I did not have that one, I have not checked it out yet I will when I have a little more time. And I have several of them myself.

And Gentlemen and Ladies, I consider this group some of the most sincere and honest people I have ever met, that love music as I do. And yes, I have a foot locker myself full of music I have written but more importantly I have tons of music written by some very good young talent, people that make my stuff look like it was written by Elmer Fudd.

Question where do you go to help them, to teach them how and where to get a copy write on their stuff, where can they can go to find good honest musicians that will tell them the truth and not steal their stuff, my respect for all of you lead me to believe this might be the place. I have found nothing, for the most part, but straight forward honesty, some times brutally honest, but honest nonetheless.

All that you say is true, there is always some one trying short cut or find the easy way and your right some may try and record some music that holds a copy-write just to be heard, that?s when we kindly remind them the purpose of your intent.

Good Idea or Bad Idea the point is its and Idea!

When I read a title of a thread that suggest Singers and Host I guess I missed the Software tie. And no I didn?t miss the fact that it didn?t get much interest at that time, that was the very reason I brought it back up.

David.
Old November 12th, 2002, 01:03 PM

Looking more all the time that what we had here was a failure to communicate.

Reminds me of the story of the blacksmith who was breaking in a new helper. He told the youngster "I am going to hold this horsehoe in the fire until it reaches a certain glow, when it does I'll put it on the anvil, and when I nod my head, you hit it hard with that hammer."

George

Last edited by George; November 12th, 2002 at 02:10 PM.
Old November 12th, 2002, 06:49 PM

Gosh guys, it's only karaoke!

Last edited by SteveWalker; November 15th, 2002 at 08:08 PM.
Old November 15th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Frequent Member

Little known area of the Law:

When you as a singer, record a song, even without the permission of the song writer or composer, you now OWN the COPYRIGHT of the song you RECORDED.
Old November 15th, 2002, 09:58 PM

kjzone,

If that were true, that means that about 100 times a day a songs' COPYRIGHT will change ownership.

Steve
Old November 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM

I'd be interestd in finding out the source of that one. Haven't seen it in any of my copywrite research. Seems to nullify the purpose of even having copywrite laws. I guess it could mean you own the copywrite to your version of the song, assuming the music is arranged different, recorded by a live band and not a copy of the original or copywrited Karaoke cdg. Dunno if that even makes sense.There is something in the copywrite law that refers to one not being in violation if they substantially change the material**. Considering how many different artists do the same song there has got to be some foundation there. Don't see how that can apply to the lyrics per se. More shades of gray.

George

** http://www.nolo.com
Old November 26th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends and colleagues

Best wishes
Old November 26th, 2002, 06:51 PM

Thanks Lauraine and happy holidays!
Old January 5th, 2003, 12:32 PM

the reply by kjzone about the copyright laws got me thinking, He said:

When you as a singer, record a song, even without the permission of the song writer or composer, you now OWN the COPYRIGHT of the song you RECORDED".

http://www.riaa.org/Copyright-Laws-2.cfm

Jim
Old January 5th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Frequent Member

jim in ohio......

"Little known area of the Law:
When you as a singer, record a song, even without the permission of the song writer or composer, you now OWN the COPYRIGHT of the song you RECORDED".

IS CORRECT SEE THE FOLLOWING>

From the Penn State Law Department:
The special case of music and sound recordings
Remember, copyright protects ORIGINAL EXPRESSION.
The song (music and lyrics) are original expression.

The way the song is performed is also original expression. When that performance is recorded, it becomes fixed in a tangible medium and is protected by copyright, separately than the copyright for the song itself. If you record your own version of the song, you have made a copy of the song and must pay the songwriter. However, you own the copyright to the recording itself and if someone wanted to use your recording of the song, they would need to get your permission to use the recording AND the songwriter'’ permission to use the song.

YOU OWN THE COPYRIGHT ON YOUR "ORIGINAL EXPRESSION OF THE SONG", EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T OBTAIN THE PERMISSION OF THE MUSIC AND LYRICS COPYRIGHT HOLDERS.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...ghtoutline.htm
Old January 5th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Read your own quote:

If you record your own version of the song, you have made a copy of the song and must pay the songwriter.

You must pay for the rights...
Old January 5th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Frequent Member

That's correct......you still have an obligation to pay royalties to the original copyright holders........but the point I was making is that you have created a copyrighted song, which you own..by making a recording to fix media, under Original Expression, that if used by others, must pay you royalties.
Old January 6th, 2003, 04:06 PM
VIP

Wink Copyright

kjzone's point is valid.

If I make a recording of "Up Up And Away" and USAirways likes my voice and the way I sing it, they would have to pay me to use my version of the song.

I would still have to pay royalties to whomever owns the copyright on the lyrics and arrangements, but MY version of the song would be due royalties for it's use.

That's what the section of the copyright law protects.

-Alan
Old January 7th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kjzone
jim in ohio......

"Little known area of the Law:

IS CORRECT SEE THE FOLLOWING>

From the Penn State Law Department:
The special case of music and sound recordings
Remember, copyright protects ORIGINAL EXPRESSION.
The song (music and lyrics) are original expression.

The way the song is performed is also original expression. When that performance is recorded, it becomes fixed in a tangible medium and is protected by copyright, separately than the copyright for the song itself. If you record your own version of the song, you have made a copy of the song and must pay the songwriter. However, you own the copyright to the recording itself and if someone wanted to use your recording of the song, they would need to get your permission to use the recording AND the songwriter'’ permission to use the song.

YOU OWN THE COPYRIGHT ON YOUR "ORIGINAL EXPRESSION OF THE SONG", EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T OBTAIN THE PERMISSION OF THE MUSIC AND LYRICS COPYRIGHT HOLDERS.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...ghtoutline.htm