MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 28th, 2002, 01:05 AM

Exclamation What to look for when booking a gig?

I had never given this much thought before. I had been doing karaoke for many years before I stepped behind the rig. We had fun and that was that. Once in a while you'd get a heckler and the owner would warn him or her, and perhaps they'd be tossed. All in all, a lot of fun, and little danger.

I got in with a bar owner who was anxious to build a big crowd and I had great equipment, a lot of songs, and could DJ well as needed, he booked me a lot. It worked well for me as he advertised the gig well, in the paper and on the radio and we would even have live remotes from time to time.

We started getting fairly nice crowds, not too large, but ones that enjoyed karaoke and the dance music as well. One day we had an all day party going on and later in the evening things got ugly. Too many people, drinking too much and what's more the owner had hired bouncers who were just big and would work for peanuts. It turns out that the bouncers were a little afraid I think, and the owner didn't want to bounce anybody for fear of loosing some of the crowd. Now, the main portion of the crowd probably still to this day doesn't know there was a problem or how big it was. In the end, all turned worked out but it was touch and go for a while.

As a patron, if a situation would have developed, I could simply leave. But as the entertainment...leaving is not much of an option!

I now ask a few more security type questions, but get the usual "we never have any problems here" routine. Any suggestions as to how I can ensure that my show is safe and fun? Any do's and don'ts that work for anyone else?
Old March 28th, 2002, 09:26 PM

What are you looking for in a gig

Greetings Jumpmaster,

I might be in a bit different situation.. I only KJ/DJ for fun. The Money is nice, but my singing and MY enjoyment is more important. That because I'm most likely older... (54) Before I take a gig, I go the establishment and scope out the crowd. I find that the wild people seek wild places.. Learn the personality of the club first. I don't do gigs where rap is prevalent at all... I have removed all "gangster" rap from my books. I have had offers to work places (for more money) but after spending 40 minutes in the place knew I wouldn't like it.

end result? I still get gigs, make good money at it, and have my fun too!

A little homework can save you headaches...it's OK to be picky!

Take care,
Papa Ray

Tunes For Your Times
Old March 29th, 2002, 07:30 PM

I kinda like some of the threads being posted....

I KJ for a living and have only a few things that I look for when booking gigs. I love a high ceiling. I look for a nice arrangement of the bar, stage, front door and bathrooms. My biggest requirement is CARPET. The venue must have carpet on the floor.
Lack of carpet not only looks cheap but it alters the sound.

Just a note...charge what you're worth...not what everyone else is charging. I'm on the expensive side for my service but I still get offers and shows. When you're good, people notice.
Old April 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM

Angry Charging!

Yea Cid_Cat, I couldn't agree more. If you charge just a little even to get yourself started, it'll be hard to get out and even harder to try to get more. You'll be booked on nights when there is not likely to be many people to be out and about, and end up being a glorified juke box!

If the owners have to pay, they'll support you and help you get a crowd.

The night goes much faster and of course is way more fun when you have a nice crowd and are making the buck!
Old April 14th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

booking gigs

I have just read this thread for the first time. I noticed that it has been subscribed by KJs who wish to receive tips on how to decide whether to accept a gig or not.

How about looking at this question from the stand-point of someone who wants to attend or book a gig, which what I thought it was going to be when I looked at it.

As a seasoned patron (and for a short stand-in period to help out my favourite club at the time, a KJ) perhaps what I look for when searching for gigs to attend may help KJs (or it may not )

The best tip when booking a KJ is to ask where they are performing at the moment and go to see them, more than once if you are not immediately put off first time. More than once if you are not sure, because sometimes the venue and/or the audience can make a difference.

The Venues: I look for a clean looking establishment which has a reputation for keeping trouble out. I also look for places where the KJ can set up without the patrons being too close, preferably with a stage. I don't particularly like pubs, but there aren't too many clubs near where I live.

The Crowds: I like them to be lively, but friendly. It is also a requirement that the crowd actually wants the karaoke. It is a real pain when the booker wants it but most of the regulars feel their place is being invaded. These tend to place themselves near the performance area and converse loudly, don't applaud and generally make themselves a nuisence.

The KJ: I look for a well presented individual, with nice looking equipment and lots of books with plenty of slips and pens put in an accessible place. As I cannot stand for very long I usually arrive very early in order to ensure a seat. This quite often allows me to be there when the KJ is setting up. I like to see a smooth, fuss-free operation, so I can have confidence that the KJ is competent. I like to see that a proper sound check has been made and that all the mics are balanced with the music and each other. The KJ should also effect a friendly, welcoming demeanour, but somehow eminate an"I will brook no nonense" aura. The KJ should be tactful, encouraging, but most of all FUN. Don't let too much time elapse between performers and exert some discipline on the patrons to be ready by announcing who will be called after the present singer is finished. The patrons will appreciate it because the more time wasted in between songs is less songs sung, and may make the difference between getting another one sung, or not.

I am sure there are many other things I have failed to mention, but this reply is already in danger of being too long.

Best wishes
Old April 15th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Frequent Member

Charging-Sometimes it isn't your choice as to what you get paid.
I personally believe the type of show I put on is worth $250 a show for a four hour gig. I break it down this way- $25 for setup- $50 an hour for the time I start to the time I end. Anohter $25 for providing a dance set at the start of hour number 3. Considering the Quality in SOund, My pickiness of what I will have on my system- not a lot of Hip-Hop- just the standard ones available on Pioneer, Kjtools and the like, and the fact tht I will let anyone sing- Proving they don't break a cardinal rule of which I actully have very few of. One is you don't stick mikes down your pants which is a guaranteed you're out the door now at my shows. The other is you wait your turn to sing and wait 5 to 6 songs in to ask "When am I up next" or "Am I next" when you just sang 2 songs ago. I use to have a policy at one show that if you ask me after each song for five songs in a row I would move the slip to the back of the rotation. If you asked me a sixth time it went in the circular file. I no longer use that rule.
Needless to say it is impossible to get that kind of money where I am for a BAr gig. I have a better chance at a private gig so I reserve that pricing for those gigs. The best I've gotten for a gig in a bar is $150 so far. I guess it's not bad to be able to charge half my private rate to the bar than not have a steady weekly gig at all. I'd love to do just Private stuff but that doesn't put bread on the table- the weekly bar gigs do.
As for gigs at this point since bar gigs are hard to come by- I can't afford to be picky as to what type of bar I'm in. Right now I am doing what Lorraine would call a pub on Friday nights. A week from tomorrow I will add a second night.
Old April 16th, 2002, 07:38 PM

Re: booking gigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauraine Graham
How about looking at this question from the stand-point of someone who wants to book a gig.

The best tip when booking a KJ is to ask where they are performing at the moment and go to see them.

The Venues: I look for a clean looking establishment which has a reputation!

The KJ: I look for a well presented individual, with nice looking equipment so I can have confidence that the KJ is competent.

Best wishes
YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A HIGH POWERED BOOKING AGENT FOR THE KARAOKE INDUSTRY, RIGHT? AS MY WIFE SAYS, "IT'S ONLY KARAOKE!"

Have a nice day!
Old April 16th, 2002, 07:42 PM

nothing to say, just subscribing to the thread.Interesting reading
Old April 17th, 2002, 01:32 PM

Quote:
"it's only karaoke"
I agree that the singers should not take themselves too seriously. Those that do are at best making themselves look foolish, and at worst are a bore.

However, have you ever heard the saying “for a ha’pth of tar the ship was spoilt”? In my view, it is the booker’s job to hire appropriate entertainers for his clientele, and it is the Karaoke Presenter’s job to take such steps as to ensure that his patrons have fun, by being adequately and properly prepared. Both jobs require talent and skill. If either fails through indifference, sloppy management or arrogance the patronage will suffer badly, I’ve seen it happen. For those of us who only have one evening out a week, we don’t want it ruined by selfish, loud-mouthed louts or by sloppy presentation. I was merely pointing out what my friends, my husband and I look for; others may choose lower standards if they wish.

Best wishes
Old April 17th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Frequent Member

I've learned the hard way that if a bar owner or Manager asks me where and when I'm playing it means they are not really interested, only finding a way to trun you down without saying they are turning you down.
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:35 PM

Singers and Listeners appreciate Quality

Lauraine,
I appreciate your take on this subject of providing a quality karaoke show. KJ's come into this business from many different backgrounds as I'm sure you have noticed. Some start with their home stereo and a couple mics and underbid out of business those who do have "quality" equipment. Some are techi's who think the equipment is all it takes to be successful and usually can't sing and have a boring show. Many I know have ok equipment and sing good but haven't got a clue on how to adjust their equipment for the best sound and make their singers sound good as possible. It's really not so different from the makeup of people that play in the bar bands. Pairing up people with right mix of skills very often provides the best solution.

The venues available for karaoke range from the neighborhood bar to the Holiday Inn but rarely includes night clubs (even on their off night - it's an image thing). So it's the smaller places that you're likely to be doing your show. The booker for the small bars is usually the owner of the bar and his goal is to get more drunks into the bar to sale moderately priced drinks. The booker at the Holiday Inn might actually come to see you at another place because he's interested in entertainment suitable for his clients in dark suites who pay $6.00 a drink. Again, this is not much different to hiring a band. The above places pay from $50 to $200 a night and average typically $100 to $125. All these places pay very low for both karaoke and bands. However, if you don't mind the low pay, you can have a steady job in these venues. A bar owner may scout for a good band but it's a joke to scout for karaoke show.

If you have a "quality" show which includes quality equipment, quality showmanship, quality technical skills and quality marketing skills, you should be doing private parties exclusively. These include weddings, corporate parties, holiday parties, etc. Private parties pay from $300 to $2000 a night and are seasonal in nature.

Best Wishes,
Steve
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Frequent Member

I'm in agreement with Steve here. The Only reason I picked up a weekly gig is the fact that working the summer and christmas holidays won't pay for my new to me car while a weekly Bar gig will. I still will take a private party in addition to my weekly bar gig- Just not on the same night as my Bar Gig- the bar gig gets first priority in my book as it will be there when the Party is over and done with.
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:42 PM

Dear Steve

I agree with what you say. I was just a bit miffed when I read your original comments because they appeared to be saying that, because it's karaoke, it's alright to be sloppy and it shouldn't matter if the pub is a dive. I was saying they matter to me.

It's OK to disagree with me, I don't mind at all. I just didn't like someone appearing to tell me that I was being unreasonable. I am not a booker, or a KJ, although I have been once to help out in between professional KJs. I didn't like it because I couldn't get enough singing in! I am a dedicated patron who appreciates nice surroundings and a talented presenter.

I'm glad you are successful and I wish you well.
Old September 11th, 2002, 06:07 PM

Lauraine

Lauraine

I appreciate your tidbits of wisdom. They really are no nonsense things that can make a KJ look either professional or novice. I haven't been a KJ very long but have been been in live music for years so I know where you're coming from. I think Karaoke is harder than live music, honestly. (with the exception of toting as much gear). Anyway, I feel that anything worth doing is worth doing well. It may be just Karaoke, but go to a few "bad" shows and you'll soon realize that there is a methodology and professionalism that exists in being a KJ just like anything else in life. It is what you make it. If you make your show a joke then it's just a reflection of you.... nuff said!

Thanks for keeping us on our toes,

Louieoke
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Laurraine, you might try the KJ thing, you will find that doing private parties, if you like to sing, and sing well, will afford you and opportunity to sing since the people having the party might want "You" to sing, instead of just playing music. I've had people having private parties have me p[lay an extra hour and just wanted me to sing, it's great cause you sing a little and also you can then get some of them to come and sing with you. Possibly getting you another party if they like it.
TK