MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
VIP

Host without Hoster?

Basically, If somehing happened to your computer or software, and if you were down to a choice between lugging all your CDG's in and setting up your old karaoke machine to do the gig, or cancelling the gig,
would you show up without Hoster?

Old June 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
VIP

Not sure if I hit the wrong answer, but yes I would use discs.
Wouldn't be an issue at all for me, all my discs & players are at every show. But even if I was mobile, I would still have my discs & at least 1 player with me simply for back up purpose - no way i'd cancel just because I lost the 'convenience' factor, so I would actually have to do a little more work lifting heavy discs, i'd rather get paid for my job. If someone would actually cancel a show because they would have to use discs for a night, then they have absolutely no business running a show in the first place! I can actually run a faster paced show with discs in reality, but I prefer the convenience of Hoster not to mention the sound quality.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions

Last edited by Lonman; June 14th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman
If someone would actually cancel a show because they would have to use discs for a night, then they have absolutely no business running a show in the first place!
Or they are running illegally and don't have the disks to fall back on.
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Or they are running illegally and don't have the disks to fall back on.
Which in again, they would have no business running a show in the first place

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM

run show without hoster????????

There is no absolutely no way you can run a faster pace show using disc v Hoster. Also, i find it much easier to carry a backup laptop w/hoster than lugging a player and all those disc.

muzicman
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
There is no absolutely no way you can run a faster pace show using disc v Hoster.
Well yea actually it is a fact. I wasn't the typical 1 player host that wouldn't even pull their disc until the current song was done playing. I always had 2 players - 1 playing, 1 cued at the cue points I have listed on every disc/song to eliminate long cue/intro screens or even unecessary long intros example NIB - Black Sabbath gets cued to 1:00 where the actual music starts - eliminating 1 minute of a bass solo - not common but there are many songs with very long intros or silent cue screens. When the singing stopped on the playing disc, I would ask for applause & call up next singer while starting the next disc & fading out old song. Thus eliminating all down time in between.
With Hoster I cannot do that. I still can ask for applause & call up next singer when singing stops, but then I have to turn down the current outro & stop it making for dead air - unless I push up the fill/transition music (another step), & quickly highlight next song & start it & wait for the cue up & intro screen before the music starts since you can't set cue points yet. So yes, running players/discs for me is in fact faster than using Hoster, but I am willing to sacrifice the speed for the convenience & sound - which seems to be better than discs for some odd reason.
Which is why I had requested the 2nd player for Hoster for more like a dj type system or at the very least the crossfade button that would automatically fade out the current song while starting the next at the click of a button (obviously it would need to be a manual button) - like I can do with discs & if the cue points become a reality, then I believe Hoster will be faster than running discs in the manner described .

Quote:
Also, i find it much easier to carry a backup laptop w/hoster than lugging a player and all those disc.

muzicman
But that wasn't the question at hand

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; June 14th, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM

playing a show without hoster

I simply read your post and questioned the statement you could still run a show at a faster pace, and, your explanation still shows me you can't. I cue the next song while the current song is playing, it takes less than 3 seconds on average to start the next song. I don't believe you can get one singer down and the next singer up that quickly. Perhaps some other KJ can chip in and explain how the disc is faster than you just did. Not trying to be smart here, but the way you are doing it, according to my understanding, just don't seem to get it the way you explained it.

I guess this becomes the question.

muzicman144
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
VIP

Quote:
I simply read your post and questioned the statement you could still run a show at a faster pace, and, your explanation still shows me you can't. I cue the next song while the current song is playing, it takes less than 3 seconds on average to start the next song. I don't believe you can get one singer down and the next singer up that quickly. Perhaps some other KJ can chip in and explain how the disc is faster than you just did. Not trying to be smart here, but the way you are doing it, according to my understanding, just don't seem to get it the way you explained it.

I guess this becomes the question.

muzicman144
Again! It's not a matter of just getting the next song cued up, I have the entire rotation cued up as well, as soon as someone hands me a slip, it goes in the rotation & it's cued in the computer. What I can DO with discs is something that is not able to do in Hoster at this time (at least for a smooth flowing transition and not a lot of abrupt stops of songs or dead air time) with discs, I can cue it up to certain time stamps to eliminate all unecessary aspects ie unnecessary intros, long manu screens before the music, etc.. So if there is 10 seconds of the manufacturer screen before the music starts, I cue it up to 10 seconds. One of my customers gave me a disc that had 20 seconds of manu screen before the music even started. In Hoster, you have to start it where the song starts. So get several songs that have that long cue screen & intros, that adds up time throughout the night - maybe not a lot but I can usually squeeze in 3-4 extra songs per night because of it - may not seem like a big deal, but in a large rotation it could mean getting through my last singers or not.
My singers are trained to get up when I call them or they may miss out their turn - 9 out of 10 times, on occasion I get stragglers, but not for the most part. The second a singer is done singing (words on the screen are over) - I use the rest of that song's outro to praise & get the next singer up. The next singer is usually up & ready BEFORE the outro to the last song is finished - then I fade into the new song, bringing the last song down & bringing the new song up! Another few seconds per song that adds up more time available to another singers time - especially if they are long outros like Comfortably Numb or Freebird. Songs that just end on the last word, well obviously there isn't much difference there, but these types of endings aren't all that common.
I don't know how to explain it any better, you would actually have to see it in action because you obviously don't believe me, but I can assure you, I can run a faster paced show with discs - as a matter of fact that was a concern when I decided to go with Hoster to begin with, it would slow me down & it has, not greatly, but noticeably. Been running karaoke since '92 with multiple players & have become quite speedy with the discs.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; June 14th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM

hosting pace

Thanks for your input. I would like to hear some comments from others on this subject. Dead time is a killer for any type entertainer, and i understand your explanation. I guess when it gets to the point that it's like herding cattle through the loading chute as quickly as possible, the limelight doesn't get to shine very long on your singers. But then, again, i guess i'm missing something. Success is not based on fastest speed in this industry, but i guess i've been at it too long, too successfully, to understand.
Again, thanks for your explanation, and i do understand what you are doing.

muzicman144
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
VIP

The singers still get their recognition & appluase, if the applause happens to more into it, i'm not going to stop it. Most people applause a little & their done. This is why I have been at the same place 7 nights since '94, people like the style & the fact that I get people up quick without drawing out the night with dead air or excessive host chatter. Our weekends are much busier & if everyone wants a chance to sing the most they can - which is what most are out to do - then they know to be speedy.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Frequent Member

With all my backup computers i would never be without.
i allways carry at least one backup with me, and could have another delievered to me within minutes. Bob

if i had to go to disc permenently, i dont think i would.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:09 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcox View Post
i allways carry at least one backup with me, and could have another delievered to me within minutes. Bob

Again, the question a WOULD you go back to discs IF you had to! He wasn't asking about backup computers.

Maybe the question should be DO you have the discs to do backup provided ALL your computer backup's failed>>>?

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Again, the question a WOULD you go back to discs IF you had to! He wasn't asking about backup computers.

Maybe the question should be DO you have the discs to do backup provided ALL your computer backup's failed>>>?
Lonnie,
Yes, the question was "If there were no other choice?", If you had to, in other words, even if you had backup computers, would you use your backup discs (ones you prolly owned and used before Hoster) for that one night.
After using Hoster and realizing the work involved w/o it,
I said a clear No Way.

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:33 AM
VIP

Quote:
There is no absolutely no way you can run a faster pace show using disc v Hoster. Also, i find it much easier to carry a backup laptop w/hoster than lugging a player and all those disc.

muzicman
I agree, I keep the backup discs in the truck with the player and bring in a backup laptop. I would cancel and find a replacement. This is not my main job, have another, and I would simply call in sick, although I never had in either Hosting or my real job. People around here have gotten so used to my system with Hoster, videos, pictures, quick songfinding, nearly paperless(80% anyway), that I would settle on giving them less anymore.

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Again! It's not a matter of just getting the next song cued up, I have the entire rotation cued up as well, as soon as someone hands me a slip, it goes in the rotation & it's cued in the computer. What I can DO with discs is something that is not able to do in Hoster at this time (at least for a smooth flowing transition and not a lot of abrupt stops of songs or dead air time) with discs, I can cue it up to certain time stamps to eliminate all unecessary aspects ie unnecessary intros, long manu screens before the music, etc.. So if there is 10 seconds of the manufacturer screen before the music starts, I cue it up to 10 seconds. One of my customers gave me a disc that had 20 seconds of manu screen before the music even started. In Hoster, you have to start it where the song starts. So get several songs that have that long cue screen & intros, that adds up time throughout the night - maybe not a lot but I can usually squeeze in 3-4 extra songs per night because of it - may not seem like a big deal, but in a large rotation it could mean getting through my last singers or not.
My singers are trained to get up when I call them or they may miss out their turn - 9 out of 10 times, on occasion I get stragglers, but not for the most part. The second a singer is done singing (words on the screen are over) - I use the rest of that song's outro to praise & get the next singer up. The next singer is usually up & ready BEFORE the outro to the last song is finished - then I fade into the new song, bringing the last song down & bringing the new song up! Another few seconds per song that adds up more time available to another singers time - especially if they are long outros like Comfortably Numb or Freebird. Songs that just end on the last word, well obviously there isn't much difference there, but these types of endings aren't all that common.
I don't know how to explain it any better, you would actually have to see it in action because you obviously don't believe me, but I can assure you, I can run a faster paced show with discs - as a matter of fact that was a concern when I decided to go with Hoster to begin with, it would slow me down & it has, not greatly, but noticeably. Been running karaoke since '92 with multiple players & have become quite speedy with the discs.
Yes, but I have people all the time verbally changing their mind, and sometimes right before their turn. I always say "No problem", in between songs I have a backup laptop playing pictures or videos, so there is never any dead time. Without hoster I could never do the above and make a show faster.

I agree with muzic man.

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcox View Post

You shoulda checked NO, I would not because that is what I meant.

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
VIP

I apologize now, for those who would cancel, that just adds another reason to give karaoke hosts a bad name altogthether.
Sorry, my convenience factor is broken, yes I have another means to run the show, but I choose to cancel instead!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM

hosting without hoster

I believe Lonman has lost the real point here. The question is if one "had" to go back to disc. I believe most who use hoster and certainly all who "entertain" realize the importance of having a backup plan when something fails. I, and i believe most hoster users also do, have a backup computer. The cost factor for the backup computer versus having a cd player for backup is not out of line when you factor in the advantages. Many hoster users don't even own a karaoke player anymore as there is no need. I don't have one anymore and don't intend on buying one. Lonman's only choice as he states it is to go back to a disc player and using the disc. Many Hoster users do not have the need or have the equipment to use disc the "ole fashioned way" nor have they ever done it that way.
I don't need anyone to apologize for me if i "choose" not to do a show because I only want to produce the best quality product that the customer is used to and entitled to. Nascar cancels when it rains and certainly survives to run another day and true fans understand and return. A decision to cancel a show for a legitimate reason certainly doesn't give all Kj's a "bad name".
As for the reference to "maybe" not owning the disc as a reason to cancel, you queston another's integrity without basis. I would suggest to you that maybe you are out of line to make such a general statement that questions the hoster user's professional judgement call on whether to cancel or not.

Muzicman144
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM
VIP

Quote:
I believe Lonman has lost the real point here. The question is if one "had" to go back to disc. I believe most who use hoster and certainly all who "entertain" realize the importance of having a backup plan when something fails. I, and i believe most hoster users also do, have a backup computer. The cost factor for the backup computer versus having a cd player for backup is not out of line when you factor in the advantages. Many hoster users don't even own a karaoke player anymore as there is no need. I don't have one anymore and don't intend on buying one. Lonman's only choice as he states it is to go back to a disc player and using the disc. Many Hoster users do not have the need or have the equipment to use disc the "ole fashioned way" nor have they ever done it that way.
I didn't LOSE anything, I was answering the question which was "Basically, If somehing happened to your computer or software, and if you were down to a choice between lugging all your CDG's in and setting up your old karaoke machine to do the gig, or cancelling the gig,
would you show up without Hoster?
And Bryant even reiterated THAT was what he meant. Not talking about backup computers or anything else.

Quote:
A decision to cancel a show for a legitimate reason certainly doesn't give all Kj's a "bad name".
Because you no longer have the convenience is not a legitimate excuse to me! I take karaoke pretty serious - it IS my job. If I had to run a show with my discs again, I would, I wouldn't do that to the club nor my customers - Oh sorry guys, yes I have means to plays the show, however i choose not to because it's TOO MUCH WORK! Which is what you are making it seem like.
Whatever!

Quote:
As for the reference to "maybe" not owning the disc as a reason to cancel, you queston another's integrity without basis. I would suggest to you that maybe you are out of line to make such a general statement that questions the hoster user's professional judgement call on whether to cancel or not.

Muzicman144
As for bringing up the possibly not owning the discs, I didn't bring it up first - I responded to it, but it would certainly be possible. I saw a thread started by someone recently that pointed in that direction that since she went to Hoster and lost her files, she indicated that she no longer has the source material to reimport - didn't outright say it, but that was the indication & she hasn't been back for response since it was pointed out to her that without the original discs she is running illegally - so YES it IS possible that people got rid of their discs which would make them automatically illegal at that point anyway!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old June 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Frequent Member

OK, I would use my disc if i had to.
we have about 12,000 cdgs.
i would have to carry about 2,400 cdgs and 1,200 cds for music, to do the same show i do now.
also about the last 600 cdgs for my main system are not in sleeves and are not in order to use.
so it would be a task to say the least, to try to do a show with disc.
and i also know I WILL NEVER HAVE TO.
I thank God & MTU for that.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates