MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:36 AM

Hoster on Ruggedized Laptop (s-video output) to Multiple Display Units

Greetings!

I have given up on the task of finding a large screen monitor with the s-video configuration needed to display Hoster graphics from my Ruggedized Laptop Computer (having an s-video cable as output). I now have an AV switcher that supports connection needs for the ONE LED TV I am using to replace my old monitor.

Can someone please suggest to me a reasonable solution for outputting to multiple display units to present the Hoster graphics coming from my laptop having s-video cable output?

As always, any and all help greatly appreciated.

Hope you are having a fabulous Labor Day Weekend!!!

The Karaoke Queen

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Hoster on Ruggedized Laptop (s-video output) to Multiple Display Units

You can get a s-video to RCA video adapter plug or lead to go from your laptop out. Most TV have a RCA video in if not you can usually find a scart adapter to fit the TV with RCA video out connection.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM

Dennis,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you have a specific part you can recommend? I have been on the Internet for days trying to find something. The RCA AV Switcher w/S-Video I recently purchased has only one OUT1 port (4 input ports). I am using the single OUT1 for my "primary" display. I need something that supports at least 2 output ports.

Not sure what a scart adapter is. As you can tell, this is WAY outside of my league! (smh)

Thanks,
Gwen
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would think somthing like this to convert your s-video out to RCA:
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/catego...Go.x=17&Go.y=8/

Then into this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Video-...item53e8eca714
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

I just noticed that previuose video splitter was for 12v supply, this one would probably be better :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Out-3-RC...0549%26ps%3D54

If you are only connecting 2 external sources you would probably get away with a Y splitter cable like this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MMFI26/...SIN=B000MMFI26

Or if the TV has a Scart connector you can use one of these and still use your s-video lead to connect or RCA:
http://www.lindy.co.uk/scart-adapter...dio/35570.html

Last edited by Roy Dennis; September 4th, 2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM

Roy,
Thanks a ton for helping me out with this information. (Once again!) I do try my best to figure out problems I encounter whenever I have an issue, you can’t imagine how comforting it is to know that I am not alone when it looks as though there is no way I am going to be able to resolve my various problems.

This forum is a great "stress eliminator" and helps me to feel as though there "ain't no mountain high enough to keep me from being successful" when it comes to my Karaoke "challenges".

Many thanks for all the support.

Best wishes,
The Karaoke Queen

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Radio Shack...
Male S-Video to Female RCA
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2486497

Female S-Video to Male RCA
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2486496

$6.00
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM

kfortner51,
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you taking time out to provide me with additional information!

Best wishes,
The Karaoke Queen
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenButler View Post
Dennis,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you have a specific part you can recommend? I have been on the Internet for days trying to find something. The RCA AV Switcher w/S-Video I recently purchased has only one OUT1 port (4 input ports). I am using the single OUT1 for my "primary" display. I need something that supports at least 2 output ports.

Not sure what a scart adapter is. As you can tell, this is WAY outside of my league! (smh)

Thanks,
Gwen
Gwen, please forgive me for implying you didn't read the manual, but this data does seem relevant to your question.

"
STEP 3: Connecting Everything Together

1.If your dual-display card or computer video output ONLY has S-Video, you need an S-Video to VHS converter. MTU sells these if you need one. If you have non-standard needs, we recommend www.svideo.com.

2.Make sure you have the correct input selected on your TV (Display #2). Set it to Svideo if using an S-Video cable or AV if using a composite cable. If you need an S-Video cable (4-pin or 7-pin cable), www.S-Video.com is an excellent supplier of both types at various lengths. They also have an instructional video on setting up your external Display #2.

3.If you are using a VGA to S-Video adaptor/converter, make sure the unit is working correctly before doing anything else. Until you have proven an S-Video converter works, ASSUME it doesn't!

4.Your Display #2 will show your Windows Desktop wallpaper or background color. If not, the set-up is not done right. Solve this problem before you run Hoster to use Display #2.

5.Make sure your Display #2 is cabled to your computer or S-Video converter, and TURNED ON before Windows starts up or Display #2 is disabled.

6.Make sure that in Hoster's Tools menu Show Display Intermission Tab, that Always on is checked.

7.You can double-click Hoster's Show Display in Display #1 to jump it over to Display #2 at full screen. You can also click-n-drag the Show Display if it is a window (not full screen) with the mouse anywhere in the window to drag it off Display #1 to the right and drop it onto Display #2. You will see the Show Display window move onto Display #2 the farther you move it. Once the window is on Display #2, double click it to make it go full screen.

8.Note: If the Show Display ever disappears, click Hoster's Options dialog Reset Displays button and it will reappear."
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Thanks!