MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM

New Laptop-Songs Play But no Image On Screen

Hi all, it has been a long time since I have been on this forum. I just purchased a new Lenovo T420-41786vu with Intel Core i5-2520M, 2.50GHz, 4GB DDr3, 500GB HDD,Intel 3000 Hd + 1 GB Nvidia NVs 4200m, operating on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
This is my first experience with the Windows 7 platform so I am behind the learning curve, especially with all the options in Professional, and only owning it for a few days. I went to the Hoster site and did all the recommended changes for Windows 7 before installing Hoster 5.02.09, including all Windows Updates Program installed, it read my KMA files from my external hard drive however I noticed the screen on Hoster was black where I was used to white (as my original xp machine). The kma's acted as though they had been read (you could see all information about the song including book id's and everything else) however song image and lyrics did not display on laptop screen, the music played, but nothing else. On top of that you could not stop the song by pressing the stop button, you had to push the X, and then a dialouge box came up asking if you should close it down. I did set the screen resolution of the laptop to Hoster recommendations.
I am spending a terrific amount of time trying to master Windows 7 Professional on this designed for business laptop, so I am a little burnt out. I have always ran my shows on an XP Home Version rackmount I bought from Hoster in 2005 with no problems, however I stayed with the 3.316 version and never went beyond there.
Was hoping this new laptop would be my main machine and I would see what I was missing from the version I was so used to. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Dennis
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Re: New Laptop-Songs Play But no Image On Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by den_mar View Post
however I noticed the screen on Hoster was black where I was used to white (as my original xp machine).
This is the default colour setup, if you don't like it go to Tools/Options, press the button "Choose Colour"

The kma's acted as though they had been read (you could see all information about the song including book id's and everything else) however song image and lyrics did not display on laptop screen,
Do you see a singers screen appear on your laptop with no lyrics in it, or are you saying no singers screen appears.?
the music played, but nothing else. On top of that you could not stop the song by pressing the stop button,
Are you pressing the right button, the one with the word stop is for stopping the instabuttons, to stop songs playing in the playlist use the square button in between the skip and start buttons, also make sure you have manual mode set not Auto.
If you are not seeing a singers screen Goto Tools /Options and choose reset displays.

If you are seeing the singers screen but it is just black it is something to do with the graphics driver, others may advise you on this.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Hi, both the singer screen and the screen on laptop are basically black where Hoster traditionally displays white. The buttons are the correct colors so some type of graphic is coming through..This laptop uses a hybird combination of both the Nvidia and Intell 3000 Hd. I have since uninstalled Hoster , went through system restore, then again made sure everything was done according to the rules for installing Hoster on Windows 7 again, then reinstalled with same results. I have tried a cdg to import as a singers disc. It imports, it plays, but you can't see anything and the basic operators information is all there except for what the singer would see (both small window for host and singers window). I would hate to think this is the wrong setup for Hoster as far as graphics cards. This is a very complicated machine, at least for me, that has a lot of ways to tweak features that I am not totally familiar with and it is possible some of these are affecting the way Hoster displays itself. Some of the directions given for things to disable aren't done the same way on this machine. I specifically bought it to run Hoster. Maybe someone would have to be familar with the T420- 41786vu to give me advice. I know the staff would more likely know more about this machine as it looks just like the ruggedized version MTU is selling, just a more current model that is 64bit with Windows 7 Professional and a complicated graphics configuration.
This Windows version will operate in XP mode, but that will be my last resort.
Dennis
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
VIP

Quote:
Hi, both the singer screen and the screen on laptop are basically black where Hoster traditionally displays white.
Correct, black is the new default color in Hoster 5.xx. So there is nothing wrong with at least this portion of it.
I am guessing the video problem may have something to do with the nVidia drivers in the video card.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Thanks for that bit of information Lonman. At least I know that is right. Now to find out why the graphics system won't work. and why you can't turn off the song without physically shutting down the program unless using the X feature. I was hoping that someone has that same NVIDIA NVS4200M Optimus card. I called NVIDIA and this card does have the ability to support extended desktop and multiple display features. but I am not there yet.. Too many bells and whistles to figure out in one day, as today is the first day I tried Hoster on this Laptop. I did get that card to go to a 1280x720 resolution operating on 16 bits- but it works somehow in concuntion with the Intel 3000Hd and that may be my problem. I am not an IT Professional either.
Dennis
Old September 7th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

In the past the singers screen problems has been related to NVidea drivers, read these posts especially #1 to 6

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?...videa+graphics

Did you not read my reply, post#2 in the blue answers in between your quotes.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Hi Roy, I am sorry I didn't reply to your post earlier 1.) Lonman stated that this was the new default color so that was solved. 2.) Singer Screen does appear, you can type in singer names as well, 3.)Yes I pressed the red stop button, I have been running older version of Hoster for 6 years but my sister has a more modern version with the instabuttons so I knew what they are. 4.) As far as drivers, I believe that the Intel 3000hd I have as well (It supports extended desktop features as well) could run Hoster by itself, when I figure how to turn off the NVIDIA card. Since it seems like most all of the newer laptops are using the NVIDIA cards. I would hope MTU would work on getting the newer Hoster versions more compatible with the current technology. I don't think reverting back to using older drivers as the answer is going to improve the Hoster program going forward. I just don't see any other options for graphics cards compatible for this particular computer, and don't want to mess with the internals as it would void my 3 year warranty. I guess I will just run the machine for my separate DJ program until I find a solution. Unfortunately no computer tech around here knows anything about Hoster. Too bad MTU doesn't have a fee based access program to get in and do the necessary changes online for non techies like me.
Dennis
Old September 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi Roy, I am sorry I didn't reply to your post earlier 1.) Lonman stated that this was the new default color so that was solved. 2.) Singer Screen does appear, you can type in singer names as well, 3.)Yes I pressed the red stop button, I have been running older version of Hoster for 6 years but my sister has a more modern version with the instabuttons so I knew what they are. 4.) As far as drivers, I believe that the Intel 3000hd I have as well (It supports extended desktop features as well) could run Hoster by itself, when I figure how to turn off the NVIDIA card. Since it seems like most all of the newer laptops are using the NVIDIA cards. I would hope MTU would work on getting the newer Hoster versions more compatible with the current technology. I don't think reverting back to using older drivers as the answer is going to improve the Hoster program going forward. I just don't see any other options for graphics cards compatible for this particular computer, and don't want to mess with the internals as it would void my 3 year warranty. I guess I will just run the machine for my separate DJ program until I find a solution. Unfortunately no computer tech around here knows anything about Hoster. Too bad MTU doesn't have a fee based access program to get in and do the necessary changes online for non techies like me.
Dennis
Even though the black background is the default that doesn't mean you have to use it as we now have the ability to change that background. Under Tools/Options you can change the background color.
MTU has been looking at the Nvidia situation and trying to figure out how to solve this but until they do then we need to use the older drivers to get those to work.
As far as turning off the Nvidia then you should be able to do that from the computer set-up. To get into that you should see a key press that you need to do when the computer first starts up. Some use F2 and others use the delete key. Just have to see what is used when computer first starts up.
You can submit a support ticket and work with Support on this. They do have the ability to go iunto your computer if they can't help by instructions to you.
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks for all that information Dale, I really thought I was going to be able to get it going by now. I know many of the problems are solved on the forums, but in this case I may have to get MTU involved if I can't get it working in a couple of days.. My only concern is if I get into the BIOS and do something wrong I might regret it later. I did that "once upon a time" a few years ago and learned my lession the last time I turned off a system video card. First I'll try what you suggested as long as I feel I am capable of reverting the changes made if necessary. I don't want to be of like the kid who takes the car engine apart and doesn't know what to do with all the "extra parts"
when it goes back together.
Thanks for all the suggestions to everyone so far
Dennis
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM

No need for anymore replies to this as I have issued a support ticket to MTU.
Thanks all
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No need for anymore replies to this as I have issued a support ticket to MTU.
Thanks all
Then I am going to close this. I hope they can help get you working.
Closed Thread