MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old July 27th, 2002, 07:04 PM

Drivers for Krystal

Are there any plans to update the drivers for the Krystal and external interface to support ASIO™, DirectSound™ or any other formats?

Since there doesn't seem to be much in the way of further developments of Microsound (that I've heard about anyway...), it would be REALLY nice if I could use this great sounding interface to run a few softsynths or something....

Thanks

Les
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Probably not...

We have lost so much in the past investments that I can't justify it any more.

Look for any program that works with ASIO or DirectSound or whatever that records .wav files to the hard drive. Then, create segments from them into your project. This was the approach we would use if we wrote this type of program.

As for having Microeditor ever do multiple channel output... that will never happen. The core architecture doesn't allow it.
Old August 3rd, 2002, 05:28 AM

Still Sounds Great....

That's a shame, as it's STILL a great sounding interface.

Have you thought about open-sourcing the code to see if anybody else might consider writing new drivers?

Just wondering...
Old February 6th, 2003, 10:39 AM

The problem now is as it has always been, but with 5.5 the IRQ sharing thing is fabulous, so obviously a lot of problems solved.

Some of us seem to manage to make the Krystal the default .wav player, but how.... ? 'appears to be some sort of magic. (Never been so lucky here, the voodoo to do it doesn't work for us, although we did manage to get an old REV J to default once upon a time).

MTUSUPPORT ADDED: This is no longer supported under Windows 2000 or XP.

So sure, MTU projects plays .wavs as it always has, but if you want to process/stretch/eq/compress/reverse realtime etc etc.. some audio in say Sound Forge or whatever (and that is brilliant of course), YOU NEED TO HEAR IT while you are doing it and you need to hear it as a Krystal sound, our obvious favourite system. Can't do it! Only off some internal sound card that some manage to get running with Krystal on board.
Sharing experiences: I run Sound Forge on a Protools system and there is quite a latentcy, so bad in fact that you cannot scrub in SF as you can a bog standard cheapo sound card running the ASIO stuff or VST.

So I suppose I understand Dave's plight as sad as is. I figure the best way round it now would be to "BUY" one of the numerous USB devices, such as EZBUS ..No IRQ required.. Hot swap..(which I dont think runs on USB 2 yet does it?). Then we are partying (in theory) .. Aint tried it yet, but can see a problem.
G
Old February 6th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Frequent Member

...the other solution

The only way I have seen around the obsolescence is file sharing. ...Cool Edit can open an .SF file as a 32 bit float, and you can take it back in to MTU as long as you don't mess with the header, apparently.

Things coming in the other direction are more problematic at times, but I would love to see everyone's experiences in this regard. I don't really see any other way around this.

A simple understanding for all of all the header issues and I/O for .wav files would be a very good thing....I don't think MTU can Save as WAV to 24 bits now, can it?
Old February 9th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Hi all,

Only just got 5.5 the other day. Is it true it does NOT work
with Win98SE? The web site says it does, but I've seen
on the forums - and in this thread-- that others have had lotsa trouble with XP as well as (I think) that several said it didn't
work on 98SE.

Any gotchas? Do you need to uninstall previous Medit versions to install 5.5. on Win98 if indeed that works?

Given the limited amount of activations Msoft apparently
allows with XP Pro, I'm sitting on a copy waiting to upgrade
one of the Win98 audio systems here to it. (I'll do it as a new
install, though, not a W98 upgrade-- the XP Pro upgrade version allows both ways)

Also, anyone know if the newly shared interrupt thing
in 5.5 eliminates the rubbery cursor at the end of a project which
came about when the IRQ requirement was changed in 5.4
with the later fixes regarding that?? MTU changed it because
apparently Krystal was not working with many new m'boards.

I noticed the rubbery thing right away back then, and at first thought it was maybe because I do a lot of Medit work with a Wacom tablet, but then discovered it was the change in the
MSND.DLL that was making it rubbery, though compatible with
more m/boards...

Have been messing with Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and then bringing back to Medit after processing. Works OK, but Cool's lack of real SF support is a pain, so I mostly do it with WAV files. You can use SFs, but it's a little convoluted. I'm hoping they will update to support SFs directly, they said they were considering it.

I still have had virtually zero luck getting plug ins to run in Medit. If anyone else has had success using plug ins directly from Medit, would love to hear and to know which ones work reliably. I seem to get crashes most of the time, though the MTU denoise will sometimes run that way. But it will often crash Medit and sometimes the machine, too.

I see the same sorts of crashes on both genuine Intel (CPU and chipset) and also AMD (with a variety of chipsets, mostly VIA) machines.

Another small item of interest for anyone using Win98SE with big drives (over 64 gigs) is that Msoft has a fix since FDISK and some other stuff won't work with them correctly. This is only for machines that see the drive in BIOS correctly-- not a Disk Manager or similar overlay type thing. Win98 won't see the drive's capacity correctly, even though the BIOS sees it just fine.

Ran into this recently with a large Maxtor drive I wanted to split up into a few 30 gig partitions and make removable, so could backup the drive on other systems. Thus, wanted an extended partition with logical drives within that. (FAT32) I don't use Partition Magic, since we have so many machines and it is not installed on all of them-- but the yankable drives need to be able to go in any machine. I do run Partition Magic with Win XP though on a non-audio NTFS machine and that works well.

Anyhow, Maxtor's MaxBlast utility won't let you set up just an extended partition, it will always create one primary and one extended. However, per Maxtor, there is a new version coming out shortly that will solve that. You do need to install the M/soft patch anyhow for Win 98, that seemed to be the M/soft and Maxtor consensus. Maxtor said their new MaxBlast version should be out pretty soon, though.

You can find the Win98 patch on their site, it's name is 263044USA8.exe. Don't know if it works with all Win98 versions, however. (Windows Update will NOT offer you this patch).

Heck, I still have a lot of drives that are FAT 16, and running just fine with Medit.

Keep posting, all -- I sure will too.
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:52 AM

larger htan 60 gig drives

rich I am using 80 gig drives on 3 machines 2 j's and one krystal
no problem as long as you use a PCI Hard drive controler card and not use any drive overlay software.
It also works as a removeable drive that can swap with motherboards that support larger drives

so far so good

Bill