MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old February 7th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Unhappy Unable to download DSP56301 code! error

The soundcard in our Microsound workstation went dead recently. We ordered a Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 to replace it. During the installation, we began receiving a "Unable to download DSP56301 code!" error. Evidently, the Microsund Krystal driver is not able to talk to the board. I removed the SoundBlaster, but still received the error. Windows 98 then began recognizing an unknown PCI Multimedia card during bootup. This is the Microsound Krystal.

I attempted to reinstall MicroEditor v5.2b. After the reboot, I directed it to the driver located in the installation directory and rebooted again. It continues to see it as a PCI Multimedia card that needs to be installed.

We are running the first edition of Windows 98.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:19 PM

The Sound Blaster Live card causes issues with Krystal and Microeditor. The sound board that we use now is the Sound Blaster Extigy External USB sound card. This works great with Krystal.

The reason Sound blaster live causes a conflict is that it puts too much noise on the PCI bus which then messes up the Motorola DSP chip on Krystal.

It appears that all you need to do is click through the Next buttons, not installing a driver for Krystal, since there is no driver to install and let it show as a question mark on PCI Mulitmedia Device. Then try it again.
Old February 7th, 2003, 10:09 PM

I've actually tried that. The error code continues to appear. The Krystal also does not show up in the Device Manager, even as an unknown device.
Old February 10th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Krystal has to show up in the Device Manager or it will not work. What you can try is power the computer off, then unplug it from the wall or the back of the computer for at least 1 minute, this will allow all the power to drain out of the power supply. Then plug it back in and try again. Some times this will do a full reset of the Motorola DSP chip.

If this is still not fixing it, there may be a problem with your Krystal board.

Also go into Device manager, right click anywhere in the window where there is no items, then select Scan For Hardware changes and see if it will then find Krystal.

What motherboad are you using with Krystal?
Old February 10th, 2003, 09:34 AM

It's up and running. I yanked the Sound Blaster Live and installed an old ISA SoundBlaster 16 I had laying around. So far so good. Thanks for the help.
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Glad to hear it. We use the Sound Blaster Extigy External USB for all our new systems, it sounds great.