MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Hoster

Does anyone own the hoster program and tell me how it works with a laptop computer. Do I hook the laptop up to my voco pro system and then it goes to the TV? I am considering buying this product but I am not sure I understand how it works. There was one thing that said something about the Direct X and most laptops won't take this? I am confused.
Cheryl
Old March 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Running your setup with Hoster

Cher123825,

Hi, DougC from MTU here. I will give you the run down on how Hoster works, but users can answer you on anything I miss. A general overview of Hoster, requirements, and setting up can be found below.

Running Hoster From your PC Computer

Hardware

First thing you need is a good computer that you can be comfortable with. I recommend a laptop or rack mount unit since one is mobile and the other can mobile or stationary.

From our testing, the ideal computer specifications would include the following:

*Intel processor 1.6GHz or faster, 1GHz is sufficient (AMD not recommended for multimedia applications)
*512MB of Ram or more
*Hard drive with adequate space for your library (i.e. Every 10,000 songs imported with Hoster will use roughly 50GB) Laptops can use external hard drive storage for additional space.
*Windows XP Home, XP Pro, Media Center, or 2000
*ATI or Nvidia video card or chip preferred with TV Out, but also Intel 900GMA or 950 chips can support dual display
*A good burner for reading in the discs (we recommend Plextor)
*Sound Outputs - built on is fine, but can be improved with a higher quality sound card
*MTU.com Hoster Brand Software

Converting your Karaoke CD+G discs to compressed digital files

Now comes the tedious part, manually importing each CD+G disc into the computer. Hoster( makes this easy for you. Just look at the bright side, once you have all your discs imported into the computer, you will never have to do it again.... and the best part...no more copying discs!

*Make sure your CD recorder is a supported reader/writer and select it for your import device. (Test it with the DEMO VERSION)
*Place the disc you wish to import into the burner and click on the import Tracks button on top. Then select to import tracks from CD Tracks. This will launch the Hoster import screen.
*Select the brand from the drop down box (yes, there is a built in database to help you with naming all those files!), then the disc ID for that brand from the next drop down box (note: if the disc id is not in the box, then simply type in the number it is supposed to be and continue. You will have to type in the artist and title names for each song by clicking on "unknown/undefined" and typing in the artist/title info), then click next for the book ID, then click on Add Disc Tracks To Import.
*Select the songs you wish to import or select all for the entire disc.
*Click import selected songs.
*You have just imported a CDG disc into Hoster.

Finding and Playing Your Songs in Hoster

*Select the method you wish to use in finding the songs. You can use BookID if you have your songbook ready, the brand and DiscID, or search (screenshot) to find the track you are looking for. (You can also add compressed audio songs or video files by clicking on the audio or video button "add track" in the playlist).
*Then select the song, or click on CDG to add songs from a singers CDG disc, or video to add songs from either VCD or DVD discs to your playlist.
*Click on to start playing your song. To reduce the size of the play window double click your mouse on it. This will make it adjustable in size.
*You can continue to add songs to your playlist as needed.
*Need to play a multiplex song or disc...no problem. Hoster has you covered!
*Need to change key...We have that too!
*Do you want to go ahead and add all your singers into the playlist? You can do that too! There is no limit on how many songs you can pre-add to your playlist. Add them while someone is singing too! (only supported with dual display computers)

Preparing Song Books

*Click on the Songbook menu option in Hoster
*Click on your choice of selection or filter under this menu. You can choose filtered selections by choosing the appropriate radio button.
*When you are ready to create your book click on the create button to prepare your songbook file.
*You may use the Select Viewer button to choose the program you wish to view the songbooks with. (we recommend Microsoft Word).
*You can then click on the view songbook button to launch the selected viewing program, which will then open the newly created songbooks!

Setting Up

The final step in this process is to get everything setup so that you can run the equipment efficiently. Connecting the computer's sound out to your Mixer/Amp is easy. Simply run a cable from the sound out port on your computer (usually 1/8" mini stereo 'headphone out' jack) to your mixer/amp (converters can be found easily at Radio Shack).

Your video will be sent out of the computer through S-video out or RCA video out ports depending on the card or computer you are using. This can be easily converted to coaxial cable by running the output signal into an RF modulator and then out to your TV(s).

Microphones will still need to be run through your mixer as well as being your master volume control, but Hoster will take care of eliminating the discs and hardware players that have become such a hassle.

DougC
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher123825
Does anyone own the hoster program and tell me how it works with a laptop computer. Do I hook the laptop up to my voco pro system and then it goes to the TV? I am considering buying this product but I am not sure I understand how it works. There was one thing that said something about the Direct X and most laptops won't take this? I am confused.
Cheryl
Ok, I used a laptop when I first started...

I'm assuming the laptop has an s-video out on it, as most do now-days..

You run the audio out from the laptop to your voco-pro mixer, just as if it is another mic or such...

s-video-out to a tv with s-video in, if the TV doesn't have s-video in, then s-video out from the laptop to an RF modulator (radio shack, about $25) then from there to the TV
XP Pro SP2
1024 DDR
nVidia GeForce FX 5500 /w 128DDR
Sony DVD RW DRU-800A
Plextor PX-W4012TA
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM

P.S.
ALL laptops use DirectX unless they are 15 years old ... DirectX is almost an integral part of the windows operating system past windows 3.2...
XP Pro SP2
1024 DDR
nVidia GeForce FX 5500 /w 128DDR
Sony DVD RW DRU-800A
Plextor PX-W4012TA
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Hoster

I have a RF Modulator already that goes from my voco pro to the TV. But it doesn't have S video plug in just the red, white and yellow plug in's. but I need a new one anyway. People have knocked it off so many times I am having trouble with it anyway. My voco pro has the mixer, CD changer, and amp. Separate components in the carrying box. Although, The Cd changer is broken and I am using a JVC three tray with it. So then I can not use that anymore and use the mixer and amp with the audio from the laptop. The laptop I have now doesn't have S Video, but I have ordered a new one and it does have it soooo I guess I will be using the new one.
Someone told me last night that most all laptops have Direct X now. I had just read that in the description of the Hoster that some didn't.
Audio out to mixer on Voco pro, Video S out to the RF modulator.
Thank you so much.
How do you like the Hoster? Will I be glad I got it, instead of the CDG's?
Thank you so much for your help
Cheryl
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:52 AM

This sounds great.
This is what the computer I have ordered has.
HP/COMPAQ DV8000 LAPTOP 2.0GHz AMD TURION 64 DVD-RW 17"
The luxury of a premium 17" widescreen laptop is now within your reach with the HP Pavilion dv8000 notebook PC. This 8.1 lb. notebook, designed for demanding digital entertainment and business applications, packs plenty of power thanks to the latest technology from AMD!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer HP/Compaq
Model DV8113CL
CPU Type 2.0 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Processor ML-37 with PowerNow!™ Technology
CPU Speed 2.0 GHz
CD Burner -- Awesome for storing MP3 music and photos. Also, works like a regular CD-ROM drive for loading software.
DVD Burner - Great for making your DVD movies or watching them on the huge 17" Widescreen display.
RAM - 1 GB DDR SDRAM
Screen Size 17.0” WXGA+ High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
Wireless 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM / SpeedBooster support
Hard Drive - 160 GB Hard Drive Dual HDD
Network Interface - Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Mouse - Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad
Modem - Integrated high speed 56k modem
Audio - Altec Lansing
Video -ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M IGP
Ports -1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34),
1 Type I/II 32-bit card bus (also support 16-bit), 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 Headphone out w/SPDIF Digital Audio, 1 microphone-in, 1 VGA (15-pin), 1 TV-Out (S-video), 1 RJ-11 (modem), 1 RJ -45 (LAN), 1 Expansion Port 2, 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin), 1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)

Software -Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition Pre-loaded with Certificate of Authenticity and Restore disks.

Power AC Adapter - Power Cord: YES Battery: YES
IBM Compatible -- This laptop is compatible with other Windows software programs and applications.

I also have a plextor external. You know I had a 200 GB external hard drive that I had all of my Karaoke music on and it crashed. Haven't gotten it back yet. They sent it back once and still didn't work. Sooo I don't know if there will be anything left on it. Hopefully it will and I can just tranfer the files to the hoster. Not my luck though so, I am sure I will have to put them all back in.
Thank you so much.
Which package do you suggest? I really need everything I guess. I need the newer version of microstudio, I would like to have the program to make an repair disks.
What do you suggest? I won't be getting it until my laptop comes in.
Also when I get it Will I be able to put it on two or more computers?
Thank you
Cheryl
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM

What is needed

Cher123825,

I will call you in a few minutes to go over everything you will need.

DOUGC
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Doug

I am sorry I was out. Had an appointment when you called.
I will be here awhile if you want to call again.
Cheryl
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM

CHER,

I just installed hoster on a HP/COMPAQ DV8000 LAPTOP 2.0GHz AMD TURION 64 DVD-RW 17" just like yours, and it is one fine karaoke machine. with the 2-80gig hard drives you might not have to have an external hard drive.
good luck
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM

HP Pavillion 8000 laptop

Hi! I just ordered the laptop you mentioned below. I think it will work great! I hooked in the Audio but I can't get the video to play. I bought an S-Video adapter at Radio Shack and tried that but it played on the TV with wierd lines and colors. I tried it with a TV which also has a direct S-Video plug in back. I went directly from the Laptop S-Video to the TV but it didn't play. I can't figure out what I need to use the hoster with my system to get the video working. Can someone help me? Thanks! Cyndi
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM

you have to make sure that the TV is on and plugged into the computer before you turn on the laptop. you may have to make some adustments in your video card settings on your laptop. If the tv isn't connected before you turn on your laptop, it doesn't know that it is supposed to be in dual display mode.
Hope this helps.
Simon
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:05 PM

webbsc

Webbsc, THANK YOU! When I first saw your postI thought there is no way it could be that simple. I have been sweating over this for 2 days. After spending all that money on the new HP8000 laptop and it not working I was getting frustrated to say the least but I followed your instructions and it worked! I had an S-Video cable with a broken pin also but after I replaced that and followed your advice, I'm in business!

One more question, is there any way to have the display on the television to be constant and still be working on your inputs to the hoster on the computer without disrupting your television display?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaWells
One more question, is there any way to have the display on the television to be constant and still be working on your inputs to the hoster on the computer without disrupting your television display?
The manual addresses how to set up a dual display, and as Webbsc pointed out, instructs that the TV must be plugged in and turned on. When in doubt, try the manual. It contains the "wisdom" of 6 years of user feedback.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM

Admin

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your nasty remarks trying to make me feel like an idiot. For your information I had my TV turned on and plugged in, I just didn't know it had to be on prior to turning on the computer so I'm not a complete idiot as you suggest, I'm not even blond. Additionally, I purchased my program online and the manual received online is a bit of a train wreck. Its nothing you can actually read, its a collage of a bunch of ridiculous pictures. Excuse me for trying to get information from the forum. I paid my money just like everyone else. If you are going to be nasty to your own clients maybe you should just let the other users answer the questions. Thank you!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Cynthia, I don't think Admin was trying to make you feel like an idiot or belittle you. He was just pointing out that the information you were seeking is in the manual and that the manual has been refined through over 6 years of our (the users) inputs.

Look under the heading of "Installing Hoster" the last section is "Installing a Dual-Display Graphics Card" Click on this and it will take you to the section that tells you how to set it up for dual display where the program is on one screen and the singer display is on another.
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Okay I've a question about hoster, I'm planning on getting three units, after I load all my discs onto one can I just copy and transfer that to the other two?
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Legality question aside, yes you can. Copy them over and then rebuild the database for the one you copied them to and your in business.
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Legally I can, I have all the originals for three shows. Just didn't want to spend my retirement loading songs. Thank you for the prompt reply.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaWells
Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your nasty remarks trying to make me feel like an idiot. For your information I had my TV turned on and plugged in, I just didn't know it had to be on prior to turning on the computer so I'm not a complete idiot as you suggest, I'm not even blond. Additionally, I purchased my program online and the manual received online is a bit of a train wreck. Its nothing you can actually read, its a collage of a bunch of ridiculous pictures. Excuse me for trying to get information from the forum. I paid my money just like everyone else. If you are going to be nasty to your own clients maybe you should just let the other users answer the questions. Thank you!
When there are so many posts to answer, sometimes I don't write more than I must to give a "Factory" answer.

I truly meant no insult. I am very sorry you took it that way. I apologize if I have offended you.
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany
Legally I can, I have all the originals for three shows. Just didn't want to spend my retirement loading songs. Thank you for the prompt reply.
Once you have your KMA files copied to the second (and third) system's hard drive (either external or internal), ddouglass is correct. Click the Tools menu, Build Songs Database command, click the Add Folder button and add all the drives/folders (one at a time) where your KMA files are. Then,click the button to start building it. When it is done, you won't know you didn't import them on each computer separately.