MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM

the price of karaoke shows

I do not worry about "pirates" or "legals". It is a decision they make, they have to live with it. I "try" to bring a professional, dignified show to the stage at every show. I do not worry about what others charge, and do not care. I know what my "area" pays and am proud to say i get the top money. I stay booked, at this moment, three to five nighs a week through Dec. 2008. I work constantly on my show to make it as good as i possibly know how. Why should i take my precious time to worry about what someone else does that "may" affect me. In the last 10 -15years i have seen many come and many go, both "pirate" and "legit", for many reasons. Life is to short. Just keep your show straight and professional and there will always be a place to play your song.

muzicman
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM

I think a couple of well written and well addressed emails can go a long way without spending too much time on it, and can get rid of some problem "pirates".
I have also seen the problems that Lonman was speaking about, with the venue owners not getting quality and becoming somewhat disenchanted with the whole karaoke scene.
I once had a gig at a pub in the lower mainland just outside Vancouver, and an outfit came in and lowballed me. After having filled the pub for over a year with a rotation of 30 plus every week, this outfit proceeded to have the owner cancel karaoke after only 3 months because there were less than 10 singers per night.
I found out later in the year that he was too embarrased to phone me and admit he should have stuck with us, but it owuld have nbeen too late anyway,because there was another venue even closer to home that was happy to have us, and we were there until I moved away four years later.
As far as having owners see what they can get, I have invited them to come to the other places I play at, and have even gone as far as having one of my shows videotaped ( with managements consent), to show prospective clients.I didn't seed the crowd for the show, and had a regular rotation of about 20 people that night.I used that video to secure a number of private gigs as well as a few new venues for weekly shows.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:41 PM

Cool price of karaoke shows

I live in the northwoods of Wisconsin and I get $300.00 for private parties and $500.00 to $700.00 for weddings. I am trying to stay out of the bars because they only want to pay $150.00. (I charge $200.00) I do have my regular bars but of course some new person will come along and charge $125.00 to "get in". Than the bar calls me back and wants me to come back and play for them for MY PRICE! Some bars I will go back the other ones i say they can get what they pay for!!! and I will not return. This is my ONLY job, and yes I should not refuse, but when a bar wants me every friday for $150.00 that means I am stuck there. I would rather keep my fridays open for private parties. I do not advertise it is word of mouth. I am 100% legal and own only one system. I know other people say they are legal but they run 3 systems all off of one cdg to me that is not legal.
I can take me up to two hours to set up since i do everything myself. Am I complaining OH NO, but $150.00 does not cut it for me. I buy new music every month. I pride myself of having the current top music in my shows and with buying my props, hats, sunglasses, noisemakers, etc. And of course Lights. Lights..Lights. I do need to cover my expenses.
I LOVE what i do and thank everyone i work for with a little note i mail to them. Little touches like that make them feel real good and it gets me more parties. By the way I am a 50 year young female and having the time of my life doing this.