MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM

just getting started

I'm getting ready to order the hoster and suite 4. i have been using discs and i have so many they are hard to take places. Right now, i just use them at large family gatherings, but am thinking about starting to advertise for parties. I have about 8000 songs right now. I have been doing karaoke for just a year, and see the advantage of using a computer.
How many of you started out with just discs before using the hoster? I am nervous about it. Do you still take the discs along also?
Does the computer programs sound as good as the discs? What kind of karaoke player did you start out with.
What type of laptop is the best? How much memory should it have if I were to increase my song list to 10000?
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM

First things first. I too started out using disks, and would not go back to it. I would rather quit the business than that.

Carry disks, what for? I got my first PC a rack mount from MTU with hoster installed. It is still going strong. I done a birthday party for my very first hoster gig, I did not and will not ever carry disks again.

Now far as MTU is concerned you won't find a better product. Me I've got two MTU rack mounts windows XP, one Gateway laptop with Vista, one HP with Vista. My home pc is a e-machine with vista.

If you get a laptop, one I would recommend is a HP with music or media format. If you buy HP, they will send you free windows XP on a disk if you desire, I would highly recommend doing this prior to installing Hoster as the XP is more reliable, and trouble free. Do look over MTUs list of compatible disk drives before buying.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Honor Roll

I'm with swany on this one. I would never go back to disks. I don't even have to carry them around (I have my own place) and I STLL would never go back. As far as sound quality, my opinion would be they are about 95% as good as the CDs, BUT, that is with no one around making any noise or singing to the music, or talking, or ...........

You will wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

The $$ is in your disks. The investment in MTU and a computer is short money compared to protecting that investment. I also never buy a new computer. An older used one will do just fine. The first system I had was on a 700mhz Duron processor and ran just fine until the day I retired it. I just wanted a smaller box because I made a pretty mount in my DJ station. Currently I'm only running 2.8 ghz single core and I never have any problems. The only "splurge" I make is onthe video card.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Mtu has systems for sale also I bought one and have not had any problems with it. I think my songs folder is about 50 g's right now I have 600 some discs
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
VIP

mgold,

I've got a lotta experience in Karaoke Shows, but kinda short on technical knowledge (Computer Challenged!). I have about 900 cdg's that I have collected (Bought!) over my 13 years in the business, and have tried to evolve with the industry.

I went with MTU about 4 years ago when I determined that Computer Karaoke was going to be at least as dependable as the disc-based show I was doing, and at my age (56 now), I was considering the ease of carrying around a Laptop, as opposed to the 900 cdgs, and two players ( 6 disk magazine- since have become obsolete ). I made a leap of faith with no one in my town that had gone computer for Karaoke. I was one of two KJ's in a small rural community of two or three small towns, so I was to be my own Guiney Pig. I had seen a DJ using a computer based program once while I was doing a private party with him as the DJ and Me as the Kj.

I had searched the internet for Computer Karaoke, and luck have it, I stumbled onto MTU website. I dove in head first, and purchased the laptop and Hoster/Suite combination from them, as well as a cdg burner. Best move I've made since I came into the business!

Most of the discs I had were pristine, because I didn't have to handle them individually because of my 6 magazine players. The program will copy a scratched disc, that I didn't use in the show because my player would show garbled graphics. So, if some of your discs show a little wear from handling, this program will make a great copy, without a lot of the noise lines you get when playing scratched or slightly overused discs!

Computer Brand, I've found out doesn't make much difference, get one of the big brands, and the tech service might help you if you are computer challenged. Get one that has XP for now, Hoster 4.0 will tame some of the complaints that I'm hearing about Vista operating system. Get a fast processor, max out the RAM, a great soundcard (check the video out! I found the s-video out will adapt to most TV or Monitor applications) , and a Hard drive big enough for your cdg collection. I outgrew my original 60 gb hardrive, and transferred my music to an external hardrive. I bought a couple of the 160 gb WD Passport external hardrives that I travel with, since I had to replace a failing hardrive in the original laptop I bought from MTU, I now have a backup laptop that I use at home, for internet, songbook program, KJPro, that is about 15-30 minutes away, if I have a failure of the replaced hardrive. I still use the original MTU laptop for my shows, and only hook it up to the internet to update Hoster.( Afraid of Viruses! )

I use the Bose PAS classic for speaker system ( light weight, and sounds great, was well worth the price tag for my situation), it has a built in amplifyer that is more than enough for most small venues, and I've done several outside parties, with no complaints from the youngsters! Ha! Add a small Mixer and you have all you will need to do a decent show!

The main thing to remember as a Karaoke Host, you are not the entertainment! Let the customer be the star, make him/her sound the best that you can, and have a lot of fun doing something that is unique every night! Change it up, experiment, and let us know how to improve our shows!

My Karaoke Motto: It's been a business, doing pleasure with you!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM

Talking Been in the biz for 10 years

I have been doing karaoke shows now for ten years ran Disc for 9 of those ten years bought Hoster back in April and haven't looked back

Took about 2 months to load my 1200 cdg's but was well worth it I worked days so it took me a while. My system is listed below I do try to use my smaller system which I purchased online from ebay for about 600 bucks at smaller shows it is a diplomat set up speakers and amp, stands. How ever over the last three years my husband feels he should buy me new speakers and amps for my birthday, anniversay or christmas and I have aquired a Kustom system these speakers and amp rock however I don't suggest using them unless they are going to stay in that particular club(BACK BREAKING MOVAL) also aquired a set of peeveys with the old peevey mixer board great sound my pride and joys. As far as carrying your cd's my cd's are in cases and are in my utlity van during all shows along with several cdg player My triple tray JVC being another on of my pride and joys would be the first thing I grabbed if something went out of wack with the computer or back up computer right now that would be my only option if something happened to my show computer (back up down And YEAP IT"S VISTA).

Once you use HOSTER YOU WILL NEVER want to go back to cdg unless absolutly a nessesity. Keep plugging at it you will love the cross over. Keep us up to date.
XP Home 5.1.2600 SP 3 Build 2600 TOSHIBA Satellite L25 System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel 1496 Mhz TOSHIBA V1.50 SMBIOS Version 2.34 PM 256.00 MB VM 2.00 GB 250GB ex hd ATI
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM

First, Stay with an XP machine. Have at least 1 gb of memory and get an external burner from MTU. You might consider getting the computer from MTU. It might cost a little more but it will be a lot less headaches.

Expect to spend a good number of hours importing your music. Once you get it loaded though you will love it.

Do not forget to get an external hard drive to back up all your music files. You do not want to spend a couple hundred hours importing and then lose your work.
Closed Thread