MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM

Wink "you can't remove vocals from music"

I was visiting another forum the other day (I prefer not to give the site) and found an ignorant post on how to remove vocals from music, stating quite boldly, "...in short....YOU CAN'T!" Well, as many of us already know that is not the case!

So I went and posted a reply (had to start a new thread as no replies were allowed...interesting) stating that this is untrue. I felt this was a good chance to promote Vogone. I even offered links to this site and the Vogone software, as well as a site with a freeware alternative that isn't as good. This way they could compare and see for themselves.

I then received a somewhat rude reply from the person who posted the initial message, stating I "did little to clear anything up." They wanted me to provide before and after samples, something I don't think I can do legally. (With all these copyright issues and laws, it could be illegal, I don't know.) I don't think they even checked out the links.

So how can anyone say they "can't" remove vocals from music when you have just provided them with the links and tools they need to try it themselves???? Makes me wish people did a little more research before making such "announcements."

anyone ever encounter someone like this?

Last edited by Lvanett; August 2nd, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Lynda, I don't think he is going to kiss you for making him look like an A__ so to save face he tried to attack back. If you wanted to provide the proof to show how uninformed he really is I would say you could probably record a 5-10 second piece of a song and then remove the vocals to show it can be done.

As far as the legality, is it really legal to take a song from a copyrighted CD, strip the vocals, add the lyrics and create your own karaoke song without getting a release from the original producer?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass
Lynda, I don't think he is going to kiss you for making him look like an A__ so to save face he tried to attack back. If you wanted to provide the proof to show how uninformed he really is I would say you could probably record a 5-10 second piece of a song and then remove the vocals to show it can be done.
No probably not! LOL But the fact that he is going around saying it can't be done just bothered me. Besides, I don't know if a 5 or 10 second clip would really be enough. Like I told him, I provided him with links and some information on the programs so if he wanted to really find out for himself, he could try it. But, I guess some people enjoy showing how little they know, so if that's his goal in life, he succeeded. LOL I let him know that it was now up to him to try these programs out and see for himself, and that I was not going to simply sit and fight with him about it.

Quote:
As far as the legality, is it really legal to take a song from a copyrighted CD, strip the vocals, add the lyrics and create your own karaoke song without getting a release from the original producer?
I think it is legal, as long as you don't sell it or record with it. After all, IMO MTU wouldn't be promoting Vogone if it were, would they? (At least I don't think they would?)
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:43 AM
VIP

Quote:
I was visiting another forum the other day (I prefer not to give the site) and found an ignorant post on how to remove vocals from music, stating quite boldly, "...in short....YOU CAN'T!"
I've got a brother-in-law who knows everything about everything as well

Legally I think you are permitted 30 seconds (at least thats what a TV news person told me once concerning taping a concert for a story on the evening news) I would think that would apply to other intelectual discussions as well.

Personally I've discovered that the older I get the less enjoyment I get out of arguing with idiots (unless they REALLY press a hot button), but only you can decide how much time/desire you want to invest in such an undertaking.

Sam
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Lynda, the key thing here is you have informed the others in that forum that there are programs available to do this. Those who are interested will check out the links.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It is our understanding that if you BUY an Audio CD, you can do anything you want with it except give a copy of it to someone else. That includes if you vocal reduce the music, add lyrics (or not) and sing to it, you can do that but you can't let anyone else get a copy of it. You alone can use what you pay for.

Now, if THEY also buy the same Audio CD, then I see nothing wrong with your giving them a copy of what you did with the song(s), if you want to, as they could do the same with their purchased song(s).

You can use 8 seconds of a song without paying royalties... any 8 seconds is my understanding, not just the first 8.

Vogone 3.1 is coming along VERY NICELY!

We have a good "test" implementation of the HIGH filter in, and the LOW is being added right now. We are very pleased so far, and hope everyone else will be also.

Vogone 3.100 Beta 1 release is expected today or tomorrow at the latest.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvanett
I then received a somewhat rude reply from the person who posted the initial message, stating I "did little to clear anything up." They wanted me to provide before and after samples, something I don't think I can do legally. (With all these copyright issues and laws, it could be illegal, I don't know.) I don't think they even checked out the links.

Anyone ever encounter someone like this?
OH YES!!!!!!!!!!! The only way to handle them is... IGNORE THEM COMPLETELY. You can't educate a fool. you can't change a closed minded "expert". Dale is right, when someone sticks their neck out and it gets chopped with facts, there is rarely an apologetic comeback. Ignore them and enjoy life and the knowledge you have.

There are some who say if there is the SLIGHTEST vocal left, including reverb, you HAVEN'T REMOVED IT. Well, I say each to his/her own preference.

If you want to sing over a very slight reverb, you can do it with ease, and for almost no cost at all.

If you want a perfect master recording with no vocal, then pay a studio and musicians to record it for you. Going rate is hundreds to several thousand $.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin
It is our understanding that if you BUY an Audio CD, you can do anything you want with it except give a copy of it to someone else. That includes if you vocal reduce the music, add lyrics (or not) and sing to it, you can do that but you can't let anyone else get a copy of it. You alone can use what you pay for.
Would that include public performance? If I add it to Hoster and let a customer sing it is that covered?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
If you want to sing over a very slight reverb, you can do it with ease, and for almost no cost at all.
Based on that statement I'd guess you are not a singer and have never tried to sing to an echo which controls the timing, forces you to try to cover them up, does not allow you to hold the words you prefer to hold, and so on.

I'd rather find a good midi, remove the lead instrument(s), and use KHP to build my own. Surprising how many midis there are out there that sound very much like the original.

To each his own.

George

Last edited by George; August 3rd, 2006 at 12:07 PM.