MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old October 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM
VIP

New External Plextor DVD+R/CD-R USB Drive

Wow! I've spent an hour and half going through the forum looking for an answer to my problem and I can't find it. I don't have all day to spend so I hope I am not out of line by making my first post.
I purchased a new Plextor external Drive last week along with Holster and the rest of the MTU prorams. I have been loading my cdg disk into Holster a littel bit at a time and now have loaded 50 disks. Here is my problem/question. Last night one of my disk (Music Maestro #6288) would not load. The drive would not read it. However, it works in the rest of my Karaoke equipment. Since the drive would not read the disk in any of the MTU programs, I assume it is the drive. Is this normal to expect 1 out of 50 disks not to be read or should I look at this as a problem with the new drive? Since it reads in my other Karaoke equipment (Pioneer) I assume the disk is ok. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
WaltR
Old October 15th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Re: New External Plextor DVD+R/CD-R USB Drive

The Disc may have a type of Security on it that the Computer drives are not able to read. Look at the disc and see if it has Protected By MediaCloq on it? If it does, you will not bealbe to import it this way, there are many posts in the forums about these types of security. MediaCloq and Multisession are the 2 main types.
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

i have not seen any mm disc that have a Security type on it
is this and old disc have you had it for a while

now for a little info
i have had 10 disc out of 3.000 that looked great had nothing that you could see wrong with your eye no Security on the disc at all but
would not load

here is what you have to do
make a back up copy of the disc and use the copy to put it in hoster
for some reason that i could not find some disc have a problem brand new out of the case

making a back up will 99% of the time take care of this
just as long as the disc has no Security on it

hope this helps
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:26 AM
VIP

Unhappy Re: New External Plextor DVD+R/CD-R USB Drive

Thank you for the response. I did not see anything on the disk that indicates this is a security issue. I have hundreds of Music Maestro disk and this is the only one I have a problem with. As far as making a copy of this disk... Well I thought of that but as in my original post, I stated that tried all of the MTU programs with this disk and the drive would not read it. So, I can't make a copy of it until I have a writable drive that recognizes cd-g. I again ask, should 1 disk not being able to read out of what now is 75 disk I have loaded into Holster be considered normal or should I feel this certified drive is a problem? Again, the disk does read in my other non-writable Karaoke machines.

Thanks again,

WaltR
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:09 AM

you should have a bunner if for nothing else this case in hand
you will find disc from time to time that hoster will not import
for one reason or a nother
so you should have the resorce to make a back up and use the copy to put in to hoster
in goes a little deeper than this but for case in hand i would get a bunner
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:16 AM

WaltR,
Have you played this disc in a Player and made sure that there is data on the Disc? Can you look at this disc under Windows Explorer or My computer and see the tracks on the disc, shoing as .cda files?

The drive is not a problem, if your other discs are all working correctly. This would be the only disc that is a problem.
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:01 PM
VIP

Unhappy Re: New External Plextor DVD+R/CD-R USB Drive

Mike,
Thanks for your response. I think you are missing the info in my post. I do have a Plextor Dvd/Cd burner that I purchased from the MTU. It will not read this disk so I can not burn a copy of this disk. Are you indicating that I should have a second burner? If so, how can I be assured that another Plextor drive will read this disk?

Bryan,
I have only tried to read this disk using MTU software programs. As mentioned previously, the disk does read and play in my Karaoke cd-g machines. It just won't read in the Plextor DVD+R/CD-R USB External Drive I just purchased from MTU. I have approximately 110 cd-g disks. I have now loaded 75 of them into Holster. This one disk is the only one that I have had a problem with so far. I believe 1 disk out of 75 that won't read is pretty good however, I find it strange that it works in the Pioneer Karaoke cd-g player. Actually this machine is a standard 301 disk cd player. I have my entire collection in this machine and use the optical output to a vocal pro cd-g decoder. This disk plays and gives me the lyrics on screen. If seems strange that the Plextor drive won't read it. It apparently has some quirk that the other machines aren't bothered with.

Thanks,
WaltR
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:36 PM

the way you were talking it sounded like you only had a reader

then you need to make a copy of this disc if the soft wear you have will not copy it then you need to buy the right softwear or send me the disc

if the disc is useable i will be able to tell you this with out haveing the disc there is not much more i can tell you
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:12 PM
VIP

Thank you Mike. The software I have is everything MTU sells. The problem isn't with the software, it is either the Plextor burner or the disk. I'll experiment a little more and advise if I need to send you the disk. Thank you for your offer.

WaltR
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:18 PM

I have a chartbusters disk that no matter what I done it would not record track 12. It has a multisession and I have to take care of that in the normal way. Problem was solved by a piece of reflective tape. The problem was a very small hole in the track, visable when holding up to a strong light (this looked like a very round hole and not an accident). You might check this, just one thing I have found. One other thing is a film of makeup what ever on the disk. I solve most of these problems by going to the sink with some dawn dishwashing detergent. One other problem may be your disk drive could need cleaning.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:58 AM
VIP

Thank you Swany. I already tried the Dawn trick and it didn't help. I'll look for the hole as you described. Who knows, it may do the trick.

Thanks,
WaltR