MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM

Question Recording

When recording it appears that the Karaoke music is picked up only by the microphone, as well as the vocal. Is this true? It sure does not sound very good.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorgan View Post
When recording it appears that the Karaoke music is picked up only by the microphone, as well as the vocal. Is this true? It sure does not sound very good.
The recording function only records from the Mic/Line In input of the sound card. You will need to have an unamplified combined signal plugged in to that input. You should be able to take the output from your mixer and feed it back to the sound card to accomplish this.
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:47 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
The recording function only records from the Mic/Line In input of the sound card. You will need to have an unamplified combined signal plugged in to that input. You should be able to take the output from your mixer and feed it back to the sound card to accomplish this.
Wow! I've been trying for over a week to make the recording function work. When I tried to play back a recording there was only silence. I read the manual over and over but, no luck in resolving the problem. Now after reading this post, it appears that the line input of the computer must be used to record a song. If this is correct, why wouldn't this info be displayed in the manual? Of course it is possible that it is and I am to stupid to find it. If not it sure has caused me a great deal of wasted time. Also I understand correctly, if you hit the record button at the bottom it records without any music. Why would one want to record without music? I am sure I am missing something here and hopefully one of you more knowledgable people will straighten me out. This forum really provides much info....thanks.

Walt
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Recording

I would think that the record function would be if one wanted to play your gutar and sing,Thereby the mic. would pick up and record only what was picked up and recieved through the microphone
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
VIP

Quote:
I would think that the record function would be if one wanted to play your gutar and sing,Thereby the mic. would pick up and record only what was picked up and recieved through the microphone
Good point!
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Or line in. Not all sound cards (especially laptops) label the input as microphone.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
VIP

My laptop has a headphone jack which I use to feed my mixer/amp. It also has a mic input. Since I don't have a seperate line in, it seems this recording feature is not really functional with my laptop. The only way I see to use this feature is to use the line out of my mixer/amp to feed the mic input of my laptop. The problem here as I see it, there is no way to monitor the input level at the laptop and set the mic level properly. If I had seperate line input and mic input, this feature would be functional because I could monitor the input with headphones. I can't use the laptops internal speakers becauxe they are disconnected when the mic input jack is in use. Anyone have any ideas other than purchasing a new laptop???
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM

WaltR....What mixer do you have? Do you have a full-duplex sound card in your laptop? You can get a mixed signal in and out with 1 input and 1 output on your laptop, if you have the right mixer and soundcard.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
My laptop has a headphone jack which I use to feed my mixer/amp. It also has a mic input. Since I don't have a seperate line in, it seems this recording feature is not really functional with my laptop. The only way I see to use this feature is to use the line out of my mixer/amp to feed the mic input of my laptop. The problem here as I see it, there is no way to monitor the input level at the laptop and set the mic level properly. If I had seperate line input and mic input, this feature would be functional because I could monitor the input with headphones. I can't use the laptops internal speakers becauxe they are disconnected when the mic input jack is in use. Anyone have any ideas other than purchasing a new laptop???
Mic In and Line In work the same way, so as dtbice says if you have a mixer you can get a single combined music and microphone(s) input to be able to record.
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
VIP

Hmmm? I actually tryed that last night. I used the headphone out on the mixer (Behringer 1404FX) into the line in on the laptop. Found a little record feature in windows accesories and tryed it. Nuttin? What could I have done wrong, any idea?

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Line In muted? That would be the default in the sound settings.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM
VIP

Checked that, anything else?

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

plug a headphone set in and see if you are getting sound out?
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
VIP

I'll try that tonight thanx.

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Is the behringer 1404 FX a powered mixer or a small stand alone board? I couldn't find it on the behringer site.....
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
VIP

stand alone. Nice mixer.

Old March 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
VIP

Hey guys, I think I might have this thing working,
but the sound recorder in windows accessories records only 60 second files, is there a freebee one somewhere else that's a little better. This one seems to basic. Or maybe I gotta buy one, that's okay too, but I think I've seen them around the sites, just can't remember?

Old March 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Clicking the Play button, with the Mic enabled, will record the mic and mix the signal with the music file playing, then store the mix into the final .wav file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
Wow! I've been trying for over a week to make the recording function work. When I tried to play back a recording there was only silence. I read the manual over and over but, no luck in resolving the problem. Now after reading this post, it appears that the line input of the computer must be used to record a song. If this is correct, why wouldn't this info be displayed in the manual? Of course it is possible that it is and I am to stupid to find it. If not it sure has caused me a great deal of wasted time. Also I understand correctly, if you hit the record button at the bottom it records without any music. Why would one want to record without music? I am sure I am missing something here and hopefully one of you more knowledgable people will straighten me out. This forum really provides much info....thanks.
Currently, we default to record the Microsoft "Sound1" Microphone. I have written up the spec for our programmers to modify the code so it records the DEFAULT selected Microphone, which can be diffeent from the fixed Microsoft Mic.

Flipeoke wrote in a Beta Thread: At first I did have problems recording, I would be able to hear my voice through the computer speakers, and even would get feedback a little if I turned the mic up too high (laptop mic/speakers too close together) however nothing was on the resulting recording. What I found was that my default device for both sound and voice recording (Under Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices) was set to my 2nd sound card (Sound Blaster PCMCIA card). So the mic on/off and slider is not controlling the default device. The first few I recorded had nothing. Once I set my default device to my onboard sound... voila...sound. Perhaps a check needs to be done for the default RECORD device and control that instead of the standard windows 'mic' volume.

Quote:
Clicking the Record button only records the signal at the Mic. We added this as after Church one Sunday, it hit me that Microstudio SHOULD be able to record the service, then write to a CD for our shut-ins and elderly. That's now possible with the Record button.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Mic In and Line In work the same way, so as dtbice says if you have a mixer you can get a single combined music and microphone(s) input to be able to record.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I haven't been able to get to my computer the last couple of days. I think you guys misunderstood my question. I understand I can mix my music and mic for the desired balance at my mixer. If I run the mixer out to the mic input of my laptop I have no way of monitoring the level at the laptop for recording purposes since I am using the mic input and it cuts out the laptop speakers. So if I use the mic level in Microstudio I can't monitor wheather I have the level to hot or to weak. Keep in mind that I have already started the process by sending a signal (music) from Microstudion via the headphone out jack which feeds the mixer/amp. I guess I could try a trial and error approach but that won't work if I'm trying to record on the run sort of speak. It appears without seperate mic and line inputs on the laptop I am very limited.

Emachine laptop/Amd processor; ATI video dual output. I don't know what sound card is in this unit.

Thanks for the feedback guys.