MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 6th, 2016, 06:02 PM

Dual External Singer's Monitors

I need some help installing another display monitor to my home system. Currently I have a 15.5 Acer Aspire E1-531-4665 laptop, 2.2GH 2MBL3 cache, 4GB memory with a 500GB HD, and Intel HD Graphics and running Windows 7.

I have connected a VGA monitor to the laptop’s VGA output. I have that monitor in the “extended” mode in order for it to display graphics of the songs for the singer, while I use the laptop monitor as the Hoster control screen.

I would like to add another monitor, and also use it in extended mode as a second singer’s monitor. So, when I volunteer to lead sing-a-longs at assisted living homes, I’ll have a monitor for me and one for the audience. I have tried to connected another monitor to the laptop HDMI output to the monitor’s VGA input using an adapter and it works as a stand along monitor, but not at the same time as the VGA to VGA monitor. I guess you can run the laptop monitor and one external monitor, but not two external monitors at the same time.

After some reading and watching video on You Tube, I learned I can connect another monitor if I use a USB to VGA Display Adapter. I have ordered the j5 create - USB 2.0-to-VGA Display Adapter, but I’m not sure how to get my laptop to format the three displays, so I have the laptop as the Hoster control screen and the other two as extended dual singers’ displays.

Thanks for any help you might have,
Wes

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Dual External Singer's Monitors

I would think all you need is one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co.../dp/B000YB2HEM

I personally don't connect via vga out I find I can run a laptop monitor plus 2 external monitors via the HDMI output using either an HDMI powered splitter like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-4...-/111832419156
Can actually run 4 external monitors.

Or use an HDMI to RCA composite converter such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swees-Compo...=composite+rca
with a Y splitter lead from the RCA video out.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:03 PM
VIP

Wes,

I've had no luck mixing vga and hdmi together, but either one can be split to 2 or more tv's / monitors, using the appropriate splitter...

I would guess that an adult care facility would have a portable or fixed tv that you could run to, with a length of cable suitable for the distance... thus I would probably suggest hdmi as a first choice... and also use a powered (active) splitter to span a distance greater than say 30 ft.

I use Monoprice.com for most of my adaptors, splitters, and cables because of the good pricing, and service after the sale (cust svc)... but note that for small orders, sometimes the shipping is not cost efficient... so I tend to order elsewhere (Amazon or Ebay) for small rush/urgent orders...

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:06 PM

Roy,

As usual, thanks for the information. I may try your HDMI splitter if I can't find a way to use the USB to VGA display adapter. My problem is I only have VGA inputs because they are old computer monitors not TVs, however my TVs are also old models, but they do have RCA inputs.

Thanks again,

Wes

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
Roy,

As usual, thanks for the information. I may try your HDMI splitter if I can't find a way to use the USB to VGA display adapter. My problem is I only have VGA inputs because they are old computer monitors not TVs, however my TVs are also old models, but they do have RCA inputs.

Thanks again,

Wes
For VGA, I use one of these... Works like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/IMAGE%C2%AE-M...s=vga+splitter
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Once again, thanks for all the help.

I've solved my problem and also have a bonus result that I almost forgot.

I bought a VGA to TV Video Converter Box which allows me to use dual external singer monitors using a computer monitor's VGA and a TV RCA video. I can have one monitor facing me and the other facing the audience.

The bonus is I can also connect my Converter Box video out to my Recoton RF Transmitter then connect my Recoton Receiver RF out to the RF input on the TV.

Now I have two ways for the audience to follow the graphics. Using wires and using the wireless capability of the Recoton, I can place the audience monitor almost any distance from the singer monitor. I can also connect to any TV at the assisted care facility that has a RF input.

Thanks again for your comments,
Wes

Old September 9th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Just so you know, if you INSTALL the J5 and their drivers you will LOSE all video in Hoster.

So if this does happen or you see this, then Uninstall the hardware/drivers then reboot and Hoster will then work fine again.

Just figured I would put this note in.

Glad you got it working though!
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the input, however I don't know what "J5" is.

Old September 9th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

I believe his referring to usb drivers for Samsung j5 android phone.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks Roy,

I'm an Apple user, but I have no intention of using it with my karaoke equipment. Of course, since I'm not a pro, I don't use anything except what I loaded into Hoster.

Old February 10th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Re: Dual External Singer\'s Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I would think all you need is one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co.../dp/B000YB2HEM

I personally don\'t connect via vga out I find I can run a laptop monitor plus 2 external monitors via the HDMI output using either an HDMI powered splitter like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-4...-/111832419156
Can actually run 4 external monitors.

Or use an HDMI to RCA composite converter such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swees-Compo...=composite+rca
with a Y splitter lead from the RCA video out.
Roy
I know this is an old thread, but do you know of or heard of running a monitor wirelessly, reliably?
Thanks
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Dual External Singer Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfountai View Post
Roy
I know this is an old thread, but do you know of or heard of running a monitor wirelessly, reliably?
Thanks
I do have an Actiontec Screenbeam Display receiver.
This is the main site read about it here. www.screenbeam.com

Mine is an earlier model but looks like the 750 model. With my latest windows 10 computers you only need the receiver but older Computer models you would need the transmitter as well.

Downside with it is you can only send one external monitor wirelessly, you cant send to a singers monitor and another at the same time.

For this reason alone I would not use it at my show.

It is fine for home use only sending to a single external monitor.

And also great for sending video from mobile phone and android tablet to TV.

Chromecast do a similar thing but I have no experience with that.

I personally now stick to my 4 Way HDMI splitter as that is the most reliable.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; February 11th, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:10 PM

I think you may be right. The cable vs wireless seems to be an ongoing problem with a external monitor. There has to be at least 1 cable as power anyway. And in order to place it conveniently, it would have to be located centrally. I hate placing it near a wall, but some places, singers drink a lot and that is a safe place.
Thanks
Old February 11th, 2017, 03:31 PM
VIP

Re: Dual External Singer\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Monitors

Quote:
Downside with it is you can only send one external monitor wirelessly, you cant send to a singers monitor and another at the same time.
Can extra receivers be ordered to connect to other tv\'s?

Back in around 89-90, there was a wireless video system called The Rabbitt. Worked ok, the transmitter & receivers had to be above everyone, but the cool thing is as long as the transmitter was in line of sight with the receiver - you could connect as many TV\'s (with additional receivers we purchased) without any issues.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Dual External Singers Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Can extra receivers be ordered to connect to other tv\\\'s?
I don\'t really know, I am not going to order another to find out, lol.

I don\'t think you could because when you connect you have to accept a wireless code as it is like a private network, if you use another it might have a different network key ? I don\'t think the computer could send another link.
One good thing about it is it doesn\'t require line of site.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Dual External Singer Monitors

Quote:
I do have an Actiontec Screenbeam Display receiver.
This is the main site read about it here. www.screenbeam.com

Mine is an earlier model but looks like the 750 model. With my latest windows 10 computers you only need the receiver but older Computer models you would need the transmitter as well.

For this reason alone I would not use it at my show.

It is fine for home use only sending to a single external monitor.

And also great for sending video from mobile phone and android tablet to TV.

Chromecast do a similar thing but I have no experience with that.

I personally now stick to my 4 Way HDMI splitter as that is the most reliable.
Since writing the above I have now found I can use the wireless Sreenbeam for my furthest away display and still use the HDMI output from my computer to my nearest display, in my case the audience monitor is above me and the nearest, the singers monitor is about 15 ft forward of me and connected via screenbeam which saves having a long hdmi lead trailing to it although of course you still need power to it.
I dont know if something changed with Windows 10 but previously I could not get another external to display correct. Now from the Display settings dialog once you have both the wireless monitor connected as Monitor 2 then plug the HDMI monitor in as Monitor 3 you then have to choose duplicate desktop on 2 & 3 from the dropdown list.
I attach screenshot of settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duplicate on 2 & 3.jpg (150.4 KB, 11 views)
Old December 15th, 2022, 08:05 PM

Re: Dual External Singer\\\'s Monitors

I purchased a HDMI splitter and output the laptop to the splitter then ran one output to my 55 inch LG TV and my 15 year old Dell Monitor to the second output. I have Windows 10 in the extend display option. I am only getting a picture on the LG TV and nothing on the old Dell monitor.
This monitor has only a VGA port and I have been using it previously with a VGA to HDMI cable and it works fine by itself just not with the splitter. Do you think the problem is I need a newer monitor that has a dedicated HDMI port or am I not sitting the display options in Windows correctly.
Here is the specs for my splitter
HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out, HDMI Splitter 1 to 2 Amplifier for Full HD HDMI 2.0 1080P/ 3D/ 4K for Xbox PS4 PS3 Fire Stick Roku Blu-Ray Player Apple TV H
Old December 19th, 2022, 06:31 PM
VIP

Re: Dual External Singer\\\'s Monitors

xxyzz,

Probably not a good idea to mix the HDMI and VGA signals to a single splitter... Find yourself a cheap used monitor that has HDMI, and your problem should go away... Good Luck!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old December 19th, 2022, 11:45 PM

Purchased a new 27 inch monitor with HDMI port and now it works perfect