MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Songverter Software > Songverter Help

Songverter Help Post Songverter questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 15th, 2008, 12:46 AM

SPDIF Connector/cable

Can someone tell me where I can get a cable that I can use for my SPDIF audio port on my laptop? What is the advantage of using this port over the headphone output. I haven't been able to find out anything about SPDIF (what does it mean?). Can I just get some kind of adapter that converts the SPDIF interface into a regular mini stereo plug (do I want to?). Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

SPDIF is Sony and Philips Digital Interconnect Format. There is a good article on this at this location - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/82.
However as they tell you in the article, if the equipment you are plugging the output into doesn't have an SPDIF input then it won't work. For a lot of laptops you have to use the Headphone Jack for analog output.
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Unhappy SPDIF Connector/cable

Thanks for your very prompt and informative response. I looked at the article you suggested. It was fairly helpful. Yes, it looks like I won't be able to use the SPDIF output since I have no amplifier that has a compatible input.
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandelise View Post
Thanks for your very prompt and informative response. I looked at the article you suggested. It was fairly helpful. Yes, it looks like I won't be able to use the SPDIF output since I have no amplifier that has a compatible input.
If you have problems with noise from the jack, try using a USB sound card. They range in price from less than $10 - $100+ . Just do a quick search on ebay for USB sound. They also have ones for your PCMCIA slot.
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM

SPDIF Connector/cable

I guess I posted this question in the wrong category since it has nothing to do with Songverter, but thanks for your response. As a matter of fact, I am having a noise problem with using my analog headphone output (that's why I was interested in using the SPDIF output). I will try what you suggest and look for a USB sound card or one for the PCMCIA slot (if I have one). This is all new to me. Thanks again.
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedandelise View Post
I guess I posted this question in the wrong category since it has nothing to do with Songverter, but thanks for your response. As a matter of fact, I am having a noise problem with using my analog headphone output (that's why I was interested in using the SPDIF output). I will try what you suggest and look for a USB sound card or one for the PCMCIA slot (if I have one). This is all new to me. Thanks again.
Try to get a Line-Out (unpowered) as opposed to a headphone out (powered). That is usually where the problems start. If you have to use the headphone out, turn the headphone volume down (reducing power) and turn the amp input up to compensate. You have to understand, a headphone out is designed to power speakers, not just send a signal to another source.