MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM

Windows XP Question

Support,
Windows XP has an automatic update feature that is designed to provide up to date firewall protection. Is it reasonable to conclude that it would be wise to turn this feature off when making CDG's in Microstudio, as one has no control when these updates will take place, just as one should have the screen saver off?
Old August 17th, 2002, 09:17 AM

Hello George

I use the Grisoft anti virus program with auto update, I'll assume that your program is set up something like mine, I can set the time I want it to get the update, and the day of the month. Set the time when you know you will be sleeping, and let the virus backup run, you need to protect your computer.

Jim
Old August 17th, 2002, 11:41 AM

Hi Jim,
The program I refer to is a hacker firewall built in to XP which has nothing to do with virus protection. I don't see any options to control when the upgrades are made, just whether to turn it off or on. My question is would this be advisable when burning CDG's in Microstudio ? Was told by ADMIN that Auto Insert Notification didn't matter in XP. Apparantly XP's platform is more forgiving in some areas, and wondering if this is one of them, and possibly even screen saver.

George
Old August 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM

Back at you

Yes my Grisoft anti virus has the fire wall also, I assume you have McAfee 6.0 or something like it, anti virus with fire wall, I thought you could control the time of update, but some of the computer manufacturers use different versions, with different fitures made just for them, yes I would think that could produce a coaster if it tried to dial up when backing up a CD+G. I had Windows ME put on my new laptop, so I haven't had the good fortune to play on XP yet.

Jim

Burn Burn Burn
Old August 17th, 2002, 01:57 PM

Yeah, you're right, I do also have Norton Home Security with anti-virus and a firewall in it also, that I can schedule updates. The one I'm questioning comes built in to XP.

Take care,

George
Old August 18th, 2002, 03:28 PM

Question XP CDRW

George, (when in doubt, ask George)

Just this weekend I switched over to XP Pro. Programs run better; Microstudio runs better. However, I have been trying to save my karaoke songs (excel file) to a cdrw. I go through the proper procedures but in the end, it says there is no disc in the drive. How can mtu work yet xp doesn't seem to recognize my drive for saving files? Can't seem to find the answer to this even in the xp forum. Can you help? Thanks.

Kelly
Old August 18th, 2002, 04:38 PM

Kelly,
Wish I did have the answers when needed, but thanks anyway for your kindness.
This is a head scratcher. Does the drive play an audio CD? when you click on My Computer does it show the drive ? Just fishing to see maybe if the drive software needs to be reinstalled...really dunno.

George

When you click on Detect Drives in Microstudio, does it see it?
Old August 18th, 2002, 05:25 PM

Question CDRW XP

George,

Yes it will play and audio cd but only through Windows media player. The regular cd player will not recognize it. And yes Microstudio recognizes the drive and the program works great. I just can't seem to get it to copy files.???

Kelly
Old August 18th, 2002, 05:52 PM

Kelly,
You mentioned Excel in your post. I'm not at all familiar with that spreadsheet program, and am wondering if there's a software conflict.

Just for kicks, import one cdg track into Microstudio from that drive. Select folder c:\songlist. If that folder doesn't exist, create it.Then go to Custom Assembly and see if you can write it back from Songlist to a cdrw.

If this works, then it would seem Excel and XP aren't talking, and I don't have an answer for you. I use c:\songlist as my default folder for all my .wav and cdg files, and have never had a problem with 98SE or XP.

Got my fingers crossed

George
Old August 18th, 2002, 06:06 PM

Unhappy XP "The Ongoing Saga"

George,

Excel being one of Mircosoft's mainstays, I don't see that being the problem. As a matter of fact I can't copy any kind of file to my Plextor drive. Does the blank CDRW have to be formatted before it can be used? I know the 3 1/2's do. AS I said, it's really strange. It works great with MTU; works fine with Windows media. Just won't let me copy files to back them up.

Kelly
Old August 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM

You got me, was just grabbing at straws. When you say Microstudio is working fine, then you're able to burn cdg's from Microstudio, right? If so, I misunderstood the problem.

What kind of files were you originally talking about? I assumed you meant cdg's.

I guess I can't understand what the Karaoke files are doing in Excel. (letting my ignorance show through).

George
Old August 18th, 2002, 06:33 PM

XP

George,

Sorry I have you confused. Guess I'm not being clear. I am having no problem what so ever copying and burning cdg's with MTU. It works great. I have a Plextor 12/10/32A. It works great with MTU. It plays cdg's and audio cd's using Windows media player. However, being new to XP I wanted to use my drive to copy and save assorted files to cdrw's or cdr's. When trying to do this it tells me there is no disc in the drive. I don't know how MTU and windows Media player can recognize a disc in the player and everything works fine but not XP. XP recognizes a a disc with something on it but not a blank one.

Kelly
Old August 18th, 2002, 07:41 PM

Exclamation XP update

George,

Still couldn't get XP to save files to my burner but did load CD Creator and got it to work that way. Thanks.

Kelly
Old August 18th, 2002, 07:43 PM

Gotcha,
Sorry I'm not able to help on this one. I just misunderstood the problem.

Try putting a cdrw in the drive and go through the Adaptec software(easy cd creator, or something like that) ask it to erase the cd, and see if it finds it. Either way I wouldn't be able to help you, but that might help someone else to help you diagnose the problem.

Take care,

George
Old August 19th, 2002, 09:11 AM

Kelly,
I was able to duplicate your problem this morning.I put a cdrw in the drive, went to a songlist file, right clicked on it and asked to copy to cd. Did not recognize media.
I closed out, went back through the process only this time I clicked on "Send To" then clicked on burner drive and file was sent to a folder which opened up a screen telling me files were waiting to be written to cd and a message was pointing to an icon in the taskbar to click on to. Minimized the big window and clicked on the icon.From that point on everything was easy menu driven. I played the song back from the cd, so I know it worked.
The tool that opened up was the "CD Writing Wizard" which is a part of Roxio(Adaptec) software. I don't remember if this is included in the basic software that's bundled with the drive or if it's due to the Easy CD Creator Platinum5 upgrade which I've used for some time. Costs $99.00, but I hate to se yoy spend more money if that's not going to cure your problem. Hopefully the "CD Writing Wizard " is in the basic package.

Hope this helps .

Take care,

George

Still doesn't explain why XP doesn't recognize media when asked to "copy to", but it's a step forward. Will keep messing with it.

After posting the above, I did the obvious and inserted a CDR into the drive and it still did not recognize the media which at least means it's not just CDRW.