MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 30th, 2003, 09:54 PM

Question Very, very slow disc duplication... Help

Hello to all you MTU alumni. This is my first time using this forum, so please bear with me.
I am having trouble duplicating CD+G's with Microstudio 2.4, it takes over 90-120 minutes or more to duplicate a CDR. Can anyone help?
Spec's: New Sony Laptop (PCG-FXA48), 1.2GhZ AMD, 512 SDRAM, 30GIG HD, XP Home OS, New Plextor CDRW drive (PX-W4824TU), Buslink USB 2.0 Cardbus, Imation 700MB 1x-48x multispeed CDR recording media. Recording from a wide array of CD+G's.
All settings appear to be correct; tried unchecking and setting different read & write speeds. All drivers appear to be current. No error messages. Display shows that recording time is 3 minutes at 48x speed, but not reality.
Note; before buying MicroStudio, I ripped CDR's & CDRW's with Alchohol 120% with no quality problems in only 5 minutes with the same system devices. I like MicroStudio better though. Can we get this to speed up? Should be something simple that I don't see. That's why I'm asking the pro's.
Please respond...

Last edited by pberkholz; March 30th, 2003 at 11:10 PM.
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:16 AM

Something is definately wrong, I started copying a disc last night at 8pm, and it is still recording this morning at 8am. Only up to track 8, 30% with no error messages. Please help.
I have sent a copy of my DXDIAG to support this morning.
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:30 AM

Hi, have had similar problem with HP laptop, will not write in USB2 port, locks system, will write at 4X in USB1 fine, bought Plextor 40/12//40 from MTU, MTU couldn't help, have spoken with a number of people, there is supposedly a problem with USB1 and USB2 on laptops working together, no one seems to know why they don't , HP, Plextor, Buslink, Adaptec, MTU, ......everyone will tell you it's someone else's problem not theirs. (Funny they didn't have a problem taking your $!!!!!!!!!!!) I have someone working on it to try to find a way to make it work, will let you know if I get it going. I purchased HP, 80G Ext HD, MTU's Plextor, all while asking each if their unit were compatilble with the rest, ALL said yes, then when it won't work no one has answer.
Old March 31st, 2003, 11:18 AM

Unhappy Micro Studio with Hoster

I haven't got any awnsers on this yet so will try again:

I am using Hoster on my MTU laptop. Because the new upgrade isn't out yet, I have been trying to use Micro Studio to play discs that people bring in. When I try to do this it will not play the disc or if it does the music is skipping terrible. I am using the Plextor CDG drive that MTU just sent me recently. I replaced my DVD drive with this one so I could play the discs. The drive works fine for importing to Hoster, it just doesn't seem to work when trying to play back through Micro Studio. I have an external drive that MTU sent when I ordered my laptop, it works fine in this scenario, but the internal drive does not. When using Hoster I have Hoster up, my excel song book up and when someone brings in a disc I then try to use Micro Studio, but as I said, it won't work properly.

Any ideas????

Kelly
Old March 31st, 2003, 04:13 PM

Amazing... I left my burner on all day and it is still only up to track 11. That's 1 disc duplication that has so far taken 20 hours, with no error messages. I appreciate the replies that I have gotten from both MTU members, and I will watch to see how things work out for you. Does MTU Support have any input in this matter? I bought this product in good faith, and would appreciate the product support that is advertised. Thank You... Please help...
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:44 AM

Kelly, if you have too many programs running at the same time you may find discs skipping, have had this problem using reg cd's and having them skip while too many things are running in backround, shut down everything you're not using, then see if they skip.
Good Luck
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:50 AM

pberkholtz,
Don't worry, you will probably be able to "BUY" an "UPGRADE" in the near future, to make the stuff you already bought work.
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:06 PM

Pberkholz,

I’ve never heard of burning a CDG taking over 20 hours! Not even when recorder burned at 1x.

Have you trying copying regular Music or Dada CD?

I wouldn’t be too quick to jump the gun and blame MicroStudio. Your problem may very well be with your Sony Laptop.

Try to burn a regular music CD using software other than MicroStudio and see if the same thing happens.

Good luck,

Jon

Last edited by jaddams; April 1st, 2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old April 1st, 2003, 02:42 PM

The only thing that I know that can make this happen, is some laptops will not work correctly with the USB 2.0 cards. They will do this or most of the time lock up when trying to write, and not just with our program.

I would do as Tkaraoke said, and try it in the USB 1.1 port and see what happens. We had a few laptops, that we were selling at the begining that we found had this problem, so we had to change from them. There was no way to make them work with the USB 2.0 ports, that weren't built onto the system.

Please try this and let us know. Also please try to copy a regular audio CD using some other program, such as EZ CD Creator or something, and let us know what that does also.
Old April 1st, 2003, 07:55 PM

Cool Thank You For The Reply

To MTU Support and all members that rendered there support: Thank You...

I've decided my problem is that the(or any) usb 2.0 cardbus does not work effectively on my laptop. After many driver loads, I was never able to see a description for USB 2.0 Root Hub in device manager. And yes, I was able to burn faster using USB 1.1, although not very fast. Today I returned the new Plextor CDRW and the USB 2.0 Cardbus adapter since I can't utilize it's full capability. I don't need a 48x when it will only run at 4x.
I have alot invested into this computer and I can't afford to replace it. So it looks like I'm out of luck here. I suppose I need to look at a stand alone duplicator. Or maybe, just maybe... Does anyone know of a fast writer that I can use with my MicroStudio software that utilizes Sony's i-Link (IEEE-1394) Firewire port? It would be just a fast as USB 2.0. I know there out there, I just don't know where.
Anyway, my fun has been blown for the week, no new toys to play with until I can get this straightened out. Thanks again to MTU Support and all the members concerned. I hope to find the right hardware soon so that I can use my MicroStudio 2.4, seems like a fine product, I just need to make my process go fast.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Frequent Member

pberkholz.........

1. Your problem is the Buslink BusCard.
2. The drivers are not being installed correctly...therefore it works at the USB 1.0 rate.
3. Contact Buslink and let one of their Tech Support walk you through the installation.
4. They can, within a few minutes and determine if your Laptop will take the drivers or not. Some systems DO and some DON'T.
[They will check for Certain Line Information in your Device Manager Files]

5. If you have a FireWire port......would go to that and get a FireWire Plextor Burner.

6. USB 1.0 or 2.0 always uses a lot of system resources.

Last edited by kjzone; April 4th, 2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old April 4th, 2003, 12:37 AM

Thumbs up Add this to the knowledge base

Hello again,

I am writing this reply to my original post for he benefit of MTU Members, if anyone reads this try to get it to MTU Support.
After more research into my slow read/write speeds, I had a very interesting conversation with a technician at Plextor. It seems that there are driver compatibility issues between the new XP ready Plextor USB 2.0 CDRW's and Buslink's, as well as Belkin's USB 2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus Adapters. Plextor say's they do not have any patches for these problems. However, they did tell me that the Adaptec Brand card would work seemlessly with their products. Anyway, I went out and purchased everything again, with the Adaptec card, and everything works perfectly. I'm burning CDG's in 5 minutes, just as advertised. And I finally get to utilize my MicroStudio software the way it was intended. Nice product, especially now that I can have fun with it and enjoy usin it. I don't even have any trouble with resources or performance when multi-tasking or surfing the web during read/wite sessions.
Hope this discovery helps someone in the future.
Old April 4th, 2003, 02:23 PM

PB
I have similar problem, had Buslink, then Plextor said buy Adaptec Card which I did. Did you download any other Drivers, Firmware, etc. for the card from Adaptec. I can only use my Plextor in the USB1 port or it locks up when in the USB2 port.
Thanks
Tkaraoke
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM

slow speed solution?

I had a burn time problem also. I found that my programs running in the back ground was the problem. To the point, modem on hold.
All I have to do is exit out modem on hold and my burn flies!!! I think my anti-virus also slows down the operation. Run msconfig on your machine and don't have anything loading that isnt needed. Exit out aol and any programs running at startup. this will probably help you. It did me. I am back to buring a 20 song cdg in about 2 and a half minutes. Good luck.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM

Tkaraoke,
We had a Laptop that was about 2 yrs old that wouldn't allow any of the USB 2.0 cards to work in it without it locking up, no matter what drivers were installed or which brand of card was installed. This system just wouldn't allow any of the USB 2.0 cards to work with the computer.

I talked to the Techs at Plextor, Adaptec, Belkin and Orange Micro. They all decided that the system just wouldn't work with USB 2.0, so there are some systems out there that will do this.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM

Sorry all you USB users probably not a lot that can be done of it isn't a background program. Usb is widely known th be a slow connection form Satellite connections on down. If you used to be fast and a new program is not the key to the problems then try a new usb cable very high quality. I hope this helps someone. The tech support never was able to help me.I had to figure it out myself. lol