MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Brand of Disk to make backup karaoke disks.

Hello. I am starting to backup my karaoke disks. Does anyone have any advise on the brands to use or not to use. Thanks Jay
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Some discs suggestions

MTU sells a kind of disc. Probably it is perfect for anything you wish to do.

MTU recommended discs cost more than the discs I use.

I make my copies on Memorex or Maxell. These burned discs show graphics perfectly on My Own player, but they show a little bit of dirt on the player at the bar I go to. (By "Dirt" I mean some break up of the colors of the graphics letters.)

However, since my player shows the discs perfectly I continue to use these brands and shun the extra cost.

Additionally, I usually use cdg files to make back ups. After extracting the files from the original discs, I burn the files onto discs. I have discs full of cdg files. I think they are less likely to corrupt that way. I believe that my discs are perfectly adequate for the task.

To sum it up. MTU's discs are expensive, but, depending on your need for perfection, problably worth the money. Other discs, I recommend Memorex or Maxell (I just bought a 50 disc stack for $10), might satisfy your needs.

Have fun.

Old April 8th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Do a search on e-bay just bought a 1000 kodak silver gold. (80min)
Drawback 12X though if you have a plextor you can burn at 16X
22.5 ea delivered to your door.

Also if you are buying labels, do a search for Neato, the people who make the fellowes brand, I get the labels for .10 cents each. You can get the full label or the one that has the cut out same price. If you have a dedicated printer Sams Club has labels for $12
for 300. These labels work with Stomper. Just a few things I've been stocking up on.

Have fun
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Hello Jay,
Just a couple of comments on backup disks.
I have used every type of disk from el super cheapo to most expensive. All have worked to some extent.
The problem with the cheap ones is the surface quality which is definitely inferior and does not stand up to the often rough, careless handling of some KJ's.
In most batches you will generally find more that are failures. They also wear out much quicker.
The more expensive ones record better and last much longer.
I don't buy MTU disks because of the US postal charges.
Also I have often seen comments about the KJ's equipment and the need to keep the laser clean.
No one ever makes this comment about the laser in your recording CD writer, in the PC you use.
For best quality burning keep your PC laser head cleaned regularly with a propriety cleaner disk and make sure the CD+R disks, you use, are spotlessly clean before using them to burn.
Regards from across the pond,
Garry