MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 11th, 2003, 08:43 PM

Question What's "In the style of" mean legally?

I understand what this means in reality: the music was usually performed by an in-house band, often with paid-for sheet music, rather than bought from the studio that made the original.

However, I spend a bit of time remaking CDG music "in the style of" various artists using either bought sheet music and creating MIDI files (I have a SB Live and the "Utopia" sound font which cost a few bucks, and you can hear the difference!) or finding MIDI files sequenced by others that they've made available. These are for personal use only.

I wanted to know what the armchair lawyers here think of the defenition. Do I have to put "in the style of" on my intro screens to keep the lawyers at bay?

Oh, and I usually put "not for resale" and MTU's website on the ending screen, because too many folks ask me how I made the thing. :-)
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:16 AM

My Two Cents

I treat "In the style of" as a selling point. I want the Frankie version of New York and not the Liza etc.
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM

If what you do is for personal use only then why do you even need the intro much less the "In the Style of"? There are no laws against performing the music in your own home for yourself and perhaps some friends in your home.