MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:28 AM

New Computer Setup ...

I have just purchased a new computer to use for my shows (specs listed beoiw) and have loaded Hoster on it, but have not attempted to load any KMA files yet. My present system will become my backup.

I have all of my KMA files on a backup hard drive.

Do any of you guys (or gals) have any advice to save me some headaches?

I also want to move my Singers Files (~175) to the new system.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Re: New Computer Setup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
I also want to move my Singers Files (~175) to the new system.
If you want to use your singers files on the new computer then the song files must follow the same path as they do on the old computer for them to be found.
For instance if your old computer stored the files on an external drive named volume E in a folder named kma, that's is exactly how they will have to be on the new computer as the path data is locked into them.

Should that be the case then you can copy your present C/MTU/Hoster singers .mbd to the new computers Hoster folder.

Then from Tools tab/Build Database, note the list of folders in the present list, then use the Add folder button on the new computer so that the list is the same.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Should that be the case then you can copy your present C/MTU/Hoster singers .mbd to the new computers Hoster folder.
Roy,

All of my singers files are on my show laptop. Only the KMA files are backed up on my external hard drive.

I have looked for the Singer Files on my laptop, but can't find them. I went to C:/MTU/Hoster to look for them and did not find a Singers.mbd file.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for the quick response...
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Click the Hoster folder to open it, Can you see "singers" without .mbd extension in your Hoster folder ?
If so this is most likely the correct file and means you have file extensions hidden in your settings.

Go to Start/Control panel, depending which view you have from here either click "Appearance & Personalization then folder options" or if your in Classic view just Click on Folder options, then click on view tab, then scroll down the list till you see "Hide extensions for known file types" if this box is ticked un-tick it and press OK.
Now when you open your folders you should see the extensions.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Also the extension is MDB not MBD..
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:22 AM

Roy,

Thanks for the help! I followed your instructions and everything worked out fine. I did my first show with the new system last night without incident...

One problem though is I've added some CDG's to both systems after loading everything to the new system and ended up getting two BookID numbers.

Since I keep my song books in Excel, this posed a problem. However, I discovered Hoster will let you change the BookID number. After I had loaded the first CDG with the new BookID, I deleted it and reloaded it and made the BookID match the old system.

No matter which system I use, the BookID's need to match!

Is there an easier way to do this?

Again, thanks for the help...

From the pounding of Hurricane Irene ...
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
One problem though is I've added some CDG's to both systems after loading everything to the new system and ended up getting two BookID numbers.

Since I keep my song books in Excel, this posed a problem. However, I discovered Hoster will let you change the BookID number. After I had loaded the first CDG with the new BookID, I deleted it and reloaded it and made the BookID match the old system.

No matter which system I use, the BookID's need to match!

Is there an easier way to do this?

From the pounding of Hurricane Irene ...
When you say you added some CDG, I take it you imported them as KMA files straight from the CD+G disc ?
If you import these on the 2 different computers the only way I can think of is to check when importing that you import them in the same order and use the same Disc Id & Book Id in the import dialog for each computer, the book id normally increments to the next available # automatically although you can override this and put in a higher one.

Alternately, again assuming these are .kma types. After importing on one computer, open your kma folder containing the newly imported files. Right click on a blank area of this open folder and in the window that opens select "Sort by then Date Created" this should list all the files in date order to easily identify these new disc's. Select all these new imports and use right click to select Copy.
Now you need to have either a usb stick or hard drive to copy them to temporary.
Once you have done this you can plug the usb storage devise into your other computer and copy these files to your KMA folder on that computer.
Then start Hoster, from the Tools Tab/Build Database in this dialogs list of folders window highlight the folder containing these newly imported files then press the rescan button.
This will add the extra files and make it identical to the other computer.
If all your KMA files are on different external hard drives I'm sure you can work the above instructions to suit
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Roy,

Yes I added them from a cd+g disc.

I did a test on the way you described how to copy them to the second computer and I see what you're talking about. I will try that the next time I add songs from a cd+g disc.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. We got hit pretty hard by hurricane Irene here in Eastern NC. I was without power for ~36 hours and still don't have phone or DSL service.
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
When you say you added some CDG, I take it you imported them as KMA files straight from the CD+G disc ?
If you import these on the 2 different computers the only way I can think of is to check when importing that you import them in the same order and use the same Disc Id & Book Id in the import dialog for each computer, the book id normally increments to the next available # automatically although you can override this and put in a higher one.

Alternately, again assuming these are .kma types. After importing on one computer, open your kma folder containing the newly imported files. Right click on a blank area of this open folder and in the window that opens select "Sort by then Date Created" this should list all the files in date order to easily identify these new disc's. Select all these new imports and use right click to select Copy.
Now you need to have either a usb stick or hard drive to copy them to temporary.
Once you have done this you can plug the usb storage devise into your other computer and copy these files to your KMA folder on that computer.
Then start Hoster, from the Tools Tab/Build Database in this dialogs list of folders window highlight the folder containing these newly imported files then press the rescan button.
This will add the extra files and make it identical to the other computer.
If all your KMA files are on different external hard drives I'm sure you can work the above instructions to suit
Roy,
Although this worked using a USB drive for moving the KMA files, it did not duplicate the BookID numbers. I ended up with different BookID numbers on the two computers.

I had to delete the files and re-load them to get the BookID numbers to match.

Thanks anyway. It was definitely worth a try...
Old September 8th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Kod, Sorry for that, I don't know what went wrong I use this method all the time and always get identicle results.

The only way I can think of that it could go wrong is if you were copying .kmh files not .kma and only copied the original music file without it's identicle .kmh file. If you ever try it again also make sure not to have any of the Song Type buttons highlighted while doing this as you are only meaning to add .kma or .kmh types which are the files that hold the bookid, discid and all the other data.
If you have any of the other buttons highlighted and you have other file types on the usb drive in that folder it will go on to add those as well assigning them Bookids.