MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 28th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Problems w/ 4.03 - Songbook & Word 2007

4.03 is working great with Vista except I'm having difficulty with my songbooks created for Word 2007. I'm selecting TITLE, ARTIST & DISC ID and asking for 2 columns. The resulting book truncates some of the DISC ID's and or pushes them out past the printable area of the page. I've tried decreasing the font size for the whole document but that seems to just create other problems. I've decreased the font just on the long titles or artists but that is very tedious & time consuming. I've also tried creating a single column but that results in a pretty sloppy page let alone twice as many pages.

Has anyone experienced/resolved this?
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Smile SongBook

If you have access 2007 go into the mtu folder and open up the songs.mdb file
it will open in access and what i do is delete the columns i don't want and then save it under a different name then print this file out as my song book
the books look better in access then word
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM

I don't use Word 2007. This sounds like a setting in Word somewhere. Somebody who use Word 2007 will be on the board soon.

Check your page or document settings, in Word.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Boy you guys are quick!
I don't have Access yet but it's ordered. I can open the database in Excel though and delete columns of info but that doesn't get it into the two column format like the songbook does.

I've played with the margins, fonts, etc. in Word extensively but the tables are created in Hoster to a specific size. They use some trick to fill in with periods (......) between the Artist and DISC ID when the Title & Artist info is short enough. When the Title and Artist info is very long it word wraps to a second line which is fine also. If the title and Artist info is in a particular length/range the DISC ID gets truncated if it's in the left column or gets pushed off the page if it's in the right hand column.

Part of the problem might be that I'm using the DISK ID instead of BOOK ID as the last column but this songbook is for my disks. Since the BOOK ID is normally shorter it doesn't create the problem as often but it's still there.

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Honor Roll

I open the rtf file in word and let word format the the document.

I then open the rtf file and save it back as a text document. I edit this document to remove any artifacts..

I then open the word file and the text file. Select all from the text file, then copy. Select all the text in the word file, then paste. You now have a pretty clean document.

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Smile

i set up access with 3 columns then swap the title and artist column for an artist book or title book. i don't use the book id numbers. on the slip they just put down the abbreviated version they want to sing. this way i can put only one song title but list all the version to sing from

Title Artist Brand

Crazy Cline, Patsy PH,CB,DK,SC,MM

Crying Orbison, Roy SC,DK,PH,TH,CB
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Another way you can format your Word document is to open as usual in two column mode, then select all from the Edit menu, then go to the tables menu and click convert text to tables. In the window that pops up enter 2 columns,
then click auto fit to contents. At separate text at, click other and enter ";" (the semi colon not the enclosed quotes) then press OK. It will put your song id in a separate column and you can adjust this column width to suit you. if you don't like all the lines separating things you can go to format borders and play around with these settings. Also you can format the columns separately like change case in the Artist & title fields or change song id column to bold.
Just play around with these settings and you might get what you want.
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:27 PM

For those that haven't worked in Word 2007 it's like learning a whole new program. I hate it when they change things just to make it different and not better. For example macros are now hidden in the "View" menu (same in Excel 2007, at least they're consistant this time). "Convert to Text" can't be found by me. I'm thinking it might be easier to do it in Excel with concatenation and word wrapping.

I think I found a solution. If I "Select All" and then set the Paragraph "Right Indent" to .5 it cleans it up pretty good.

Word 2003: "Edit" "Select All" "Format" "Paragraph" set "Indentation Right" to .5

Word 2007: "Home" "Select" "Select All" "Page Layout" set "Indent Right" to .5

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Last edited by ViperGTS; August 28th, 2008 at 08:39 PM.