MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Significant lag time from pressing Play till song loads (4.5 XP)

Upgrade to 4.5..orginally running Vista....sound card issues with Vista (not just with Hoster..but with Sonar Producer v7)...so downgraded PC to XP Pro, (Dell DualCore Inspiron 1770). Also upgraded my original PC to Hoster 4.5 running XP ( 4 year old Dell ). On both laptops..it takes between 15 to 30 seconds from the time I press Play before song loads and starts. Creates huge lag time between songs...Any suggestions?
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
VIP

why didnt you upgrade to 4.06 ?

when was the last time you defraged your computer ??

Windows 10

Hoster 5.10
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Are your song files on the internal drive or an external?
How big is the internal drive and how much free space does it have?
Is your computer up to date?
And yes upgrade to 4.06
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM

sorry..is 4.06....latest release

have .5 stuck in my head because at my office in the last 2 weeks my ERP & CRM systems have all been upgraded to a .5 release and that was stuck in my head. I just upgraded about a month ago.... I'm using an external USB drive...but my question is that in the previous versions this was not an issue at all. Load times were just a few seconds (2 to 5)....but since the upgrade that's been tripled and quadrupled (using the original PC that has had no changes except the upgrade as the benchmark and for consistency). I'll try copying the song database to the local drive but if the external usb drive wasn't a problem with 4.05 why is it all of a sudden a problem in 4.06. I can load & play songs from the external drive in KHPro with no delay. So the symptom is 4.06...not the drive or PC (once again...using the original laptop w/original hardware as the consistent piece between versions). Thanks for the replies!
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkirkpat View Post
I'll try copying the song database to the local drive but if the external usb drive wasn't a problem with 4.05 why is it all of a sudden a problem in 4.06.
It isn't a problem. The reason Dale was asking was a Windows issue when you don't leave enough space for Windows swap file.

Quote:
So the symptom is 4.06...not the drive or PC (once again...using the original laptop w/original hardware as the consistent piece between versions). Thanks for the replies!
It is just a matter of more code to run. As the load gets heavier, the older hardware has a hard time keeping up. Also, the code is still pretty new. There will be changes that should make a difference in the way things run as all the bugs are ironed out.

I would tell you to make some changes to lighten the load on your system, but I think at this point I would wait until the newest version comes out in a couple of weeks or so. If the problem still persists, please post back here and we will see what can be done to reclaim some memory and CPU cycles.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
have .5 stuck in my head because at my office in the last 2 weeks my ERP & CRM systems have all been upgraded to a .5 release and that was stuck in my head. I just upgraded about a month ago.... I'm using an external USB drive...but my question is that in the previous versions this was not an issue at all. Load times were just a few seconds (2 to 5)....but since the upgrade that's been tripled and quadrupled (using the original PC that has had no changes except the upgrade as the benchmark and for consistency). I'll try copying the song database to the local drive but if the external usb drive wasn't a problem with 4.05 why is it all of a sudden a problem in 4.06. I can load & play songs from the external drive in KHPro with no delay. So the symptom is 4.06...not the drive or PC (once again...using the original laptop w/original hardware as the consistent piece between versions). Thanks for the replies!
As Mark said, I wasn't asking about space on the internal for you to move your songs there, but for operating space on the internal drive for Windows. If you internal drive gets too full (over 75%) then Windows slows everything down.
When you downgraded the Vista laptop to XP, did you defragment it after loading everything? Microsoft has one of the worst installers for placing files all over the place on the drive instead of sequentially and this leaves the drive badly fragmented. Fragmentation means it takes longer and the drive must work harder to copy data from the drive to memory.
Also make sure you have done all the changes in the following list as well:
http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster/xp-changes.htm
They will help toward getting your computer to work better for Hoster.

Tags
4.5, loading songs, play lag time