MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > MicroCD Help

MicroCD Help General forum for discussing MicroCD and audio CD mastering.

Old January 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM

Unhappy My Yamaha CDR-100 is finally dead.

I bought a Yamaha SCSI CDR-100 from MTU WAY back when they first released the MicroCD product. The drive has served me well and burned hundreds of CD's, but it no longer works. (I actually had a bad power supply which took out two hard drives and the CD-R. If your computer starts acting flaky, don't forget to check the power supply).
Anyway, I need to replace it. I have a cheap IDE burner in the machine, but MicroCD doesn't see it. Does MicroCD automatically see IDE drives? It has a page to select the SCSI drive, but I don't find a way to select an IDE drive.
I don't need to burn Karaoke - I haven't gotten into that. I just need to burn Audio CD's from MicroCd. What's cheap and easily available?
Old January 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM

Steven,
MicroCD depending on the version that you are running will only see the IDE drive, if it is the only drive attached to the computer. The only brand of drives that we now use are the Plextor drives. But most any Yamaha or Plextor should work for what you are doing with MicroCD. The new drives are only supported with MicroCD 2.403 and this requires Microeditor 5.5 or 5.4 to run. So if you are not on the Krystal board, then you will not beable to upgrade to this new version of MicroCD.

What you can try doing with your current drive is to unhook any other CD-R or CD-Rom drives in the computer and then see if that drive will show up. If not then that drive is not supported with the version of MicroCD that you have.

What versions of Microeditor and MicroCD are you running?
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:10 PM

Smile Micro CD version in use

Bryan,

I using current versions with Win 98SE, just purchased during your recent sale. Previously, I was STILL running MicroEditor under Win 95 - it never gave me any trouble so I didn't mess with it. !!!

I have a cheapo CD-R in this box, probably why it isn't seen. I do have a SCSI Plextor 8220 in another computer, I guess I should swap and try that before I do anything else, huh?
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:40 PM

Either should show, I believe your Cheap CD-R might. Try making sure that in the SCSI selection in MicroCD (I forget what it is called) is set to Auto for both. This should allow it to see the IDE drive it it was supported as a CD-R in MicroCD.

If not, I know the Plextor drive was supported.
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:03 PM

Cool

No, that didn't work. The SCSI adapter select box in MicroCd can be set to auto, but not the ID box. It just doesn't see the Verbatim CD-R. It's no big deal - I'll try the Plextor when I get some time. I may just put that in an external box and use it for both computers.
Old January 21st, 2003, 11:25 PM
Frequent Member

Other drives should work-

---I know I helped another friend with Medit on an old workstation install an off-the-shelf HP IDE burner a couple of years ago, and it worked just fine....I'm guessing that most will, in fact, depending on your version.

When my CD100 went bad many moons ago, I sent it off to be repaired at Yamaha and bought a newer 4X Yamaha SCSI drive....The result being that I have a new, unused CD100 in the box, I think. ...I'd gladly give this up if you want to handle shipping. E-mail if you are interested.

One problem I have recently encountered, however: My newer (but still old) Yamaha SCSI drive has recently been showing that it will not record audio CDs when using newer, 40X media....I think this is a trend, and might be going IDE myself soon in that computer.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 12:36 AM

Old CD-R's with newer media and O/S

I haven't had any trouble with newer media, yet anyway.

I do have a 2-3 year old Plextor 40x reader (not a CD-R) that will not read audio CD's properly under WinXP. I upgraded to XP and spent considerable time trying to figure it out before finally getting someone at Plextor to tell me that this particular model does not support XP completely.

That info is not on their website - I sure wish it would have been.
Old January 30th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Yamaha - geezer

Geezer,

I've sent you a couple of private messages but no reply. I'll gladly take the Yamaha CD-R off your hands if the offer is still good. How should we get in touch?
Old February 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Frequent Member

private line-

send to mudsmith@earthlink.net, and I'll send you the rest of my stats.
Old September 29th, 2003, 03:00 PM

My CD burner just died too...how did you solve your problem?

Hi:

Looks like I'm having exactly the same problem. I have an older version of MicroCD and my Yamaha CD burner died too.

How did you solve your problem. I love MicorEditor, but can't afford to upgrade to Krystle etc.

Thanks so much,

Jimmy Street

you can email me direct if you'd like at:

jimmystreet@tazland.net

Be sure to put something in the subject
box to identify yourself though.
Old September 29th, 2003, 03:16 PM

I believe as you stated in your Email Jimmy, that the Yamaha 4416S should work, but I have no clue what will and won't work with those older versions of MicroCD anymore.

The only thing I can tell you is what does work in the newest version, but as you stated that only will run with the Krystal boards and Microeditor 5.4 or 5.5.
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Frequent Member

4416S

.....I've been using the 4416S (SCSI) for a very long time since my CDR100 died (and was rebuilt/replaced by Yamaha)...It was completely transparent on my win95 machine, and is still working, though it won't deal with the newer 700mb CDRs, as stated above....Anyway, it works fine.

Can you even buy these anymore?....I've got a 4616S that I bought fully 6 or 7 years ago that I have been thinking about swapping into one of the older machines, but I don't think it necessarily appears on the driver list for that version of MicroCD (2.3?)...
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:11 AM

Old CDR's for earlier versions of Micro CD

I found a HP 6020i on EBay (which is compatible to Micro CD 2.1 according to your manual). I'll let you know how it works. Then, after I bought it (won the bidding war) I looked up some reviews on it....uuups, not too good. I've got my fingers crossed.
Anyway, it's supposed to be in excellent shape.
Yamaha doesn't make CDR 100's or ANYTHING in the CDR world anymore. They also told me that they couldn't fix my Yamaha unit.

10/23/03

Latest news:
The HP 6020i installed without a glitch and has been working great. It's a little more pickey about the media disks it'll respond to (most CD's work fine, even the 700 meg ones), but if you find a brand that doesn't work simply avoid it. I simply bought some single and small batches of CD's and found ones it liked...no problems since. (Maxell 640 meg and Sony's 700 meg work good)
I also called Yamaha and they found an old (never used) CDR-100
(stand alone) buried in their warehouse. The Yamaha guy told me to just take stand-alone the case apart and presto! Inside is a brand CRD-100. I have that for a back-up. They sold it to me for $50.00, including shipping. So, for under $90 (>$40 for the used HP 6020i on EBay), I'm back in biz. Thought you all would like to know. Thank God for E-bay, and nice Yamaha reps.

Last edited by jimmy street; October 23rd, 2003 at 11:01 PM.