MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old July 9th, 2003, 02:11 AM

Help! Medit 5.5 on Windows XP Pro

I'm not a techie! Please help!

I recently upgraded my computer and OS to Windows XP Professional and installed a fresh copy of Medit 5.5. But when I ran the Setup Test, the Krystal board passed all the tests EXCEPT the Krystal Interrupt Test, which it failed.

Another strange symptom worth mentioning is that when I was installing the Medit program, the following error message appeared just before the installation finished:
MSND32 DLL Error
MTUMSND.SYS device drive not loaded or not functioning properly. Please make sure MTUMSND device has been started

I have tried installing the Krystal card in various PCI slots. Made sure it was properly seated, etc. But to no avail. The Krystal card does show up under the Windows Device Manager as a "Multimedia Controller" with a yellow bold question mark next to it (this, I assume, is normal since it was this way under Medit 5.4 running on my old Win 98 machine).

Other relevant information. In the Windows system information hardware resource section, it shows IRQ 17 assigned to the device "Mtumsnd." But it also shows a device called "Multimedia Controller" (presumably the Krystal card, though I'm not sure) with IRQ 11 assigned to it.

The installation manual for Medit 5.5 only shows instructions for Windows 98. So I'm not sure if I've configured the settings properly to work in Windows XP, though I have a feeling this is not the cause of the problem I'm experiencing.

My computer's specs:
MS Windows XP Professional
Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz chip on Intel D845GBV2 motherboard.
The only additional cards installed are Adaptec AIC-786X PCI SCSI and Realtek RTL8139 LAN card. Video and sound came on board the Intel motherboard.

Previously had no problem running Medit 5.4 on Windows 98, on Pentium III machine.

Again, HELP! And thanks.
Old July 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Vortec,
Have you rebooted the computer? If not, the error that you get when you run the 5.5 installation, is normal. Just go through the installation and make sure you reboot the compuer then see what it does.

Have you tried to run Microeditor to see if it will open at all?
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:06 AM

Bryan,

Here's what I've done so far. I started the whole installation process again from scratch hoping that it might work. But no luck, I'm afraid.

1. I de-installed Medit and took out the Krystal card as well as the other two PCI cards from my computer.
2. I then re-installed Krystal.
3. I re-installed Medit 5.5, ignoring the error message as you suggested.
4. I installed Mkaraoke.dll (version 1.6.0.7 into the Medit folder first, then overwriting it with version 1.7.0.9).
5. I rebooted the computer.

But still the same problem as before. When I run the Setup Tests, the Krystal fails the Interrupt test. However, all other tests--Reset, PCI Write Speed, Static Memory--come up normal.

The strange thing is, I can actually open Medit. It does not shut down immediately. I can even open my project files, which are karaoke files, by the way. But Medit freezes up and then eventually shuts down after encountering the first karaoke tag in the project file.

As I said before, I've tried installing Krystal in different PCI slots, and different IRQ gets assigned to it, but doesn't solve the problem. I'm pretty much at my wit's end. Hope you can think of something.
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:11 AM

Still waiting for support on this issue

Doug, Bryan, anyone?

I'm on hold until this can be resolved.

If it turns out that there's no solution and I have to go back to using my old PIII Win98 machine with Medit 5.4, then I hope at least that you're willing to refund the $100 I paid for the upgrade to Medit 5.5.
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Vortec,
It sounds like your computer should work. I am not exactly sure what is going on with this system.

Krystal is very picky about IRQ's, but it is not as bad in Windows XP with Microeditor 5.5. You are correct in that you have 2 different IRq's showing. The MTUMSND showing on 17 is the actually driver for the Krystal board. The Multimedia controller is the actual Krystal as you stated. This is fine as it is on IRQ 11.

The Setup/Test doesn't work correctly under XP, this is why it won't give you accurate diagnostic information.

I would try placing the Krystal in the 3rd PCI slot from the Video card, this is normally where I put the board when I build a system for it.

We have never tested this exact model of motherboard that you have, but it should work. The only model that we use is the D845GEBV2.
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Bryan,

The motherboard is in fact Intel D845GEBV2. It was a typo in my previous post.

Anway, the Krystal is in the 3rd PCI slot now, and as I said before, I've tried other slots as well. But still no luck.

Has Medit 5.5 been tested to work in conjunction with Mkaraoke.dll? I ask because like I said in my earlier post, Medit freezes up and shuts down just when it encounters the karaoke tags in my project files.

Just as an experiment, I've run Medit 5.5 WITHOUT the Mkaraoke.dll, and it handles the project files without any apparent problems. That is, the sound is processed properly, and the program doesn't freeze up.

Another question is, do I have to do any configuring in Windows XP--similar to the configuration changes that were required under Win 98? Your installation manual for Medit 5.5 doesn't include this information.
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Vortec,
I have run it on my system here at the office with the Mkaraoke.dll. I will try to email you the latest version of 1.710 to see if this works for you, this is the version that I have running.

There are no changes in XP, as there were previously under Windows 98.

I have never had anyone report this problem as you are having.
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:50 PM

It's working at last!

The problem had to do--of all things--with my monitor display setting. I had it on high, 32bit color, and this was responsible for the freeze up with the karaoke tags in my Medit project files. Specifically, "clear screen" tag was where things were freezing up.

Now with my display set at 16bit, everything seems to be running normal, under either v. 1.709 and 1.1710 version of Makaraoke.dll.
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:26 PM

This is true. I totally forgot about this change for any OS. This will do it every time.

Glad you got it working.