MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5

Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 Discussions for Microeditor versions that use Krystal DSP Engine audio card

Old April 14th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Record problem after upgrade

Greetings, All.

I'm sorry that I've been away for so long.

We recently upgraded one of our workstations to run Win2KPro. We used the MTU-recommended motherboard (ABIT) and the installation seems to have gone well. I can use ME 5.5.0.0 to open past projects and play them without trouble. However, I can't seem to record anything. As soon as I try to record, the meters peak all the way up the scale and remain there with no apparent audio reaching the system. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I have verified all the basic things (cables, I/O settings, etc.) but have made no headway so far.

Any suggestions?

==========
Addendum
==========

After a verbal threat (I'm not kidding!) the machine has begun to behave properly. I wish that I had more definitive reasons for the failure, but it seems just fine now. Go figure.

Thanks anyway.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson
WETA Radio
Washington, DC

Last edited by clawson; April 14th, 2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Frequent Member

XP/2k

....Although I have virtually no time with Win2k, I have done quite a bit of cards in/out, drives in/out and new software with Win XP Pro......Although the software seems amazingly "Plug 'n Play", it is almost always true that the new hardware is not really recognized until the second reboot.

Maybe that's the deal. I have yet to install Krystal in that machine, but HAVE to soon because my old workstation is starting to run into obsolescence issues more and more frequently. The most recent: The CD burner can't deal with 700mb CDRs, and the 650s seem to have gone away permanently.
Old April 15th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

I too have been trying to get a Krystal system going with XP Pro.
So far however, no luck. Seems that the "package" I was sent for 5.5 does not contain the needed VXD and so Medit just won't install. I was surprised. I had Win 98SE on the same machine and it ran medit 5.4. just fine.

Whole idea of moving the machine to XP was reliability, and also that Krystal could now share interrupts. The motherboard for the system in question has a ton of on-board stuff and so that was a def. consideration, though I was able with Win 98 to find one slot that Krystal was happy in (that didn't share IRQs with all the on-board stuff!) This is using an Abit P4PE m/board, with onboard "audio", networking, firewire, many USB ports, etc. etc -- along with a P4 2.5B gig CPU. (The B is a faster front side bus, it's also called Northwood by Intel)

I haven't "activated" my WinXP Pro yet since I couldn't get Medit to work with it. XP kept barking for me to install the driver for the Krystal, and in the directory Medit 55 created, there isn't any.
Does anyone else know about this-- am I missing something maybe? I completely stripped the drive before installing XP Pro, so it isn't the ghost of Medits past or anything. I wrote all zeros to the drive (low level) and then re-partitioned and formatted it.

I'm hoping MTU will send a new "package" (the EXE file that should contain everything needed).

On the 74 minute CDs, they're still around-- at least the Mitsuis are-- you can get them from Media Supply at pretty good prices.
You're right though, many other brands don't have them anymore. I pretty much have stuck with the Mitsuis since way back -- at least for audio. And I still do masters going out to replicators on the gold ones, too. Only have ever had one master rejected out of many hundreds.
Old April 15th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Frequent Member

Mitsuis-

...I, too, have been addicted to the Mitsuis or the Apogee version of the same, but just came up permanently empty-handed when I tried to get them from my normal supplier (Washington Pro)....

I'll make a run at Media Supply. Maybe I can get enough to give me 6 months of lead time on an upgrade.

...On the XP front: That is all that I have ever had on this particular machine (Dual PIII 1 gig). As I was trying to describe before, it does reassign interrupts pretty well, but never on the first reboot. There are some peculiarities about shared interuupts, but I built this one from scratch and the motherboard manual was specific enough to help in that regard.....XP Pro has been very solid, but I haven't tried to add Krystal/MTU on yet.

When I installed XP Pro, I followed a fairly specific list of setup and disabling rules that I got both from the old Nuendo site and from a related site by a guy who has figured out the best DAW configurations fro XP....XP Pro also seems to have a more complete onboard set of drivers and hardware recognition files than standard XP.
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

You'll probably like M/Supply, the prices are usually
good. I think they are Mitsui's biggest distributor.
They also sell a pile of others. For quantities or
a good item mix, they often price under what
their site says by a little, if you phone them and
look like a potential repeat customer, etc.
Generally everything they list is in stock, too.

Far as I've heard, Mitsui has no plans to disontinue
the 74's but that was as of my last big order late
last fall. Bought about a small pallet load of CDs and
various envelopes and cases, still working from
that . Filled up about 1/3 of a Fedex van.
(M/Supply has a really cheap Fedex deal too)

I use the 80 min CDs for audio once in a while too,
also Mitsuis.
I usually am prone to telling clients that a CD over 74 mins
ain't "legit" Red Book and so it's at their risk as to
working in every player out there. Most decide to
keep it to 74 mins to be safe.

Text titling for tracks on the CD apparently isn't legit,
either, but I get requests for that all the time.
Too bad MicroCD won't do that. When the client insists,
I have to use something else to make their masters,
and of course it takes a lot longer to prep them too.
Often with educ. type programs, clients are insisting
more than ever these days, too, since so many users
play them on computers as well as Walkman type CD
players.

Wish MicroCD could be updated to do it, but alas
no luck on that thus far. I'd think it wouldn't be
that impossibly hard to do, since there are
already cue files, etc. associated with it. Also
given MTU's karaoke expertise, I'd think that
would also be a help in doing it too.

I also still burn masters for replicators at 2x speed,
a holdout from something of Steve St. Croix I read
some time ago. Using the gold blanks and 2x,
replicators usually rave about what is sent in,
and usually tell me about all the problems they
have with CD premasters from some other places, especially
with stuff burned at high speeds. I wonder though
how they can tell what speed you burned the masters
at? Many plants I've dealt with have specs that say
"no greater than 4x burn speed".
Some things I've read say it's not
so much of an issue anymore, but I'm still doing it
the 2x way. Refs of course I do high speed though.

Let me know if you get 5.5. running under XP Pro,
meanwhile I'll hope for the missing VXD.

If anyone running XP got it to work, could you post the
contents of your Medit directory so others can see what files
you got? All the other Medit versions seem to have
a vxd both in the program directory and then it also
gets installed with you set it up in the Win/System
directory. But not there in mine.

The README says this VXD can be installed separately
for XP, but of course not having it makes that tough!
Old April 16th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Rich,
The install that you are running, will come up with an error message in the middle of the installation. This is normal, you just need to click Ok for this and then it will go through the rest of the installation. Then once this is done, you will need to reboot the computer. The MTUMSND.VXD is no longer installed. This driver is not used under 2000 or XP. The new driver is called mtumsnd.sys.

This should install no problem, just let me know if it won't.