MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM

How far are you willig to travel to do a show

Sad to say that i lost my gig on Sat. nights ( Restaurant/ bar closed and moved to Miami ) but i just had an offer to do another , 45min -1hr tavel time, just wondering if it's worth. owner is willing to pay what my usuall fee.
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:50 PM
VIP

Re: How far are you willig to travel to do a show

Billy,

I know you don't do this for a living... and have turned down other venues, or have recommended other KJ's to fill gigs that you didn't need or want!

Why drive 45 minutes, when another gig may open up closer to you, once word of mouth gets around that you are available?

Different set of rules if you were in a small underpopulated area, that had only a small selection of probable candidates for Karaoke gigging, that a lot of us have to endure, because of economy and location...

I travel 10 - 20 miles to most of my gigs (5) right now, and have not turned down farther private party gigs, but I'm usually compensated for my time and mileage, for these private parties!

Weigh the benefits against the difficulty, and you will be able to answer your own question!

Best of luck in finding a closer venue in the near future!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old December 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM

thanks for the adviced, i did a private x-mas party last sat. that when i got the offer, i've thought about it, and decided not to take it, called a friend of mine that lives about 15. min. away and told him about it. 'm kinda booked during this season (mostly private parties ) except for today ( had to go to my 4 years old daughters play in church this afternoon, she played an angel), but anyway i'm not really looking for any place to play right now, i decided to concentrate on just djing, and i've been experimenting on editing, mixing and over laying music tracks and looking for best dj software that can do what i wanted to do,i just took out the 3 controllers that i bought a while back (Hercules, Mixmeister w/fusion Control and Lexicon ) and trying to see which of them works best.and so far i only did 1 track..using Mixmeister..
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Great question billy. I live up here in northen michigan, in the middle of absolutly nowhere.We have moose, dear, bear all kinds of critters. Just for reference, my nearest walmart is 50 miles or so away. My doctors office is over 30 minutes away, and i drive 50 miles each way five days aweek for my job. So to me, 45 minutes is a piece of cake. I do karaoke at the American Legion twice a month, plus weddings, plus special events at the legion, and locally for civic stuff. A 45 minute drive i would consider a minimum distance. Oh..the legion is 73 miles from my driveway round trip, as the crow flies.
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:17 PM
VIP

If they pay my asking price, i'll travel up to an hour. If it's further out, the price goes up. I would go out as far as 2 hours travel time for a regular show as long as the pay was there. I've went across stateline for a private show before aprox 5 hours away. This was 2 times asking price (private party price) PLUS hotel room comp for the night.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
If they pay my asking price, i'll travel up to an hour. If it's further out, the price goes up. I would go out as far as 2 hours travel time for a regular show as long as the pay was there. I've went across stateline for a private show before aprox 5 hours away. This was 2 times asking price (private party price) PLUS hotel room comp for the night.
I would probably do it if it's my main source of income, i did my share of travelling when i was in a band as a guitar player, i used to play up north, Nj, Pa, De. & Ny,( 10-20yrs. ago ) i even played overseas ( asia ).before i relocated here in the US. I had an offer awhile back to do a show in SC, all expenses paid, i also turned that down, it's a hobby for me now, i got spoiled tavelling 10-15 min. away from my house, i still have 1 show left every other sunday at a country club, so nothing is lost, I still get the same amount of money. but anyway thanks for all your comments and responses.