MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old March 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Thumbs down Downloading FREE karaoke songs is ILLEGAL!

A very shady web site is selling a document that is supposed to allow you to download FREE karaoke software. Have any of you heard of this product? Can you really download FREE karaoke music. Is it legal or like a "karaoke napster"?

Please advise,

Paul

Last edited by admin; March 15th, 2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

first of all... it's illegal....

second, you can't download from that url... he "sells" you the information to connect to an IRC. It's nothing more than "pirate training school" and yes, he states it's not for copyright infringement purposes, but for educational purposes. [actually, he figures that someone will make the money off the dissemination of this information, so it might as well be him.]

It's all very stupid and killing any semblance of structure that this "business" has -- if you want to use the term very loosely.

Everyone connected with his operation, the customers, the IRC, the "uploaders" as well as the "downloaders" are lowlife scum.

It doesn't matter to me if they call it a "swan".... it walks like a duck and it smells like duck....

ADMIN NOTE: It looks like a theft practice and it smells like a theft practice... and in this case, if you follow that web site's recommendations you ARE a thieve and CAN end up losing ALL your gear. Potentially you can lose even your car/van you carry it in because you have ILLEGAL songs on your hard drive. I edited the web site URL as MTU and C.Staley and this Forum doesn't dissiminate information on how to be illegal.

Last edited by admin; March 15th, 2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Thanks C. Staley,

You are right. It smelled and walked like a duck to me too but I had to investigate this. I just bought over $1600 worth of cdg's to start off with. Because I did some "smart shopping" I guess. I got over 3000 songs for about .50 a song. If I could get the karaoke songs for less like "free" then I could buy the rack mount computer I started to buy then load it up, then sell my 3 tray JVC VCD player. I can still do that because the cdg's are in transit so I did not open them. I can return them, get a refund and do what I started out to do.

It is a hell of a temptation. What would be chance of getting caught if I chose to be a "scumbag" and save thousands of dollars, putting it into a computerized system so that I could possibly get more gigs to help feed my family and pay my mortgage?

I would appreciate any advice any of you experienced pros out there can give me regarding this very serious matter.

Paul

Old March 13th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

I Just Have One Thing To Say Hear Dont You Think The People Who Make These Disc Read This Forum

So if You Were Going To Do This They Know Who You Are Or What Area You Are In If I Were You I Would Just Buy The Disc And Be Safe

See Ya Mike

Old March 13th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbrowneyez
I would appreciate any advice any of you experienced pros out there can give me regarding this very serious matter. Paul
If you didn't suspect it's illegal, you wouldn't be asking.

George

Old March 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM

George,

Call me naive, but I was not %100 sure of (3) things 1-The legality, 2-The capability, and 3-The chances of pulling it off. I got all of my questions answered thanks to this and other forums.

I do truly believe that honesty is the best policy. However there a few exceptions, like tax time.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by admin; March 15th, 2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Same company is offering CDRWIN unlock keys for $19.95.

Anyone care to take a bet that they are either selling:
  1. Their own code multiple times
  2. Are selling codes gotten from IRC
  3. bought a bunch of $10 site licenses and are reselling them
It even says in their terms of service to purchase that:
Quote:
You do not work for or represent any karaoke disc publisher.

Old March 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Dunno if you want to associate with these types, but I sure don't.

Received this from Golden Hawk:

Quote:
The illegal company we are investigating at this time

They are scam sited as they are using hacked codes which will fail to work
after 30 days as it will just do away with our splash screen and allow
you to use it at faster speeds but it does not get rid of our 30 day trail
lock

Last edited by admin; March 15th, 2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:42 PM

DJYale,

My cd's were delivered today. I will use them. It will probably be good for me to start out like so many of you experienced pro's did. I don't want to get myself in trouble so I will shuffle discs until I can afford to move up. When I do "move up" to the rack mount, I believe I will have gained an even greater appreciation for not only the ease and speed of computerization, but for the business as well. I want to establish myself as a professional.

Thanks for your advice. Wish me luck!

Paul

Old March 15th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Hello Paul,
When you are new to this game, it's only natural to explore all the legal sides to get stuff as cheaply as possible.
Generally you can ask yourself if a CDG costs anything between $6-$45 from legit sources how come some are selling so cheaply? IS IT LEGAL?
The answer is usually no.
Trawl Ebay for bargains and plenty of legit karaoke firms have sales on there.
You will notice, reading these forums, some of the members own a prodigious numbers of discs. You don't see anyone sharing. I bet there aren't many CDGs ever made that someone in the MTU circle don't own.
Besides the legality if you've paid big bucks why give your stuff away?
Regards from across the pond
Garry.

Last edited by admin; March 15th, 2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Paul, Something to ponder. Buy legitimate CD+G's and spend days upon days checking song and artist titles, making quality checks of duplicates(inevitable) correcting mistakes in titles and song listings and importing,importing, and more importing. Sounds like a real pain, doesn't it? Ya know, a funny thing happens. You become knowledgeable in regards to your own library and in turn become more professional in your new profession.
Knowledge equates to better services equates to more play dates at better rates. Legal issues aside, Buy the good stuff, do the work. It pays off in the long run.

Last edited by admin; March 15th, 2005 at 04:59 PM.
Closed Thread