MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 27th, 2003, 10:07 PM

Microstudio 2.4 Hangs computer every couple of copies

I have just upgraded to 2.4 (which I thought would solve this problem) but it is still there. I can copy 2 discs fine sometimes 3
but then the computer hangs, the current disc is ruined and I have to reboot. Currently I have to reboot every 2 copies to avoid ruining discs but I am getting very tired of it.

This is a dedicated machine (set up just to copy CD's)
Certified Plextor PX-W4012A 1.03
Microstudio 2.400
Using MTU installed ASPI drivers
319MB ram
80 Gig 7200 Rpm Hard drive w 8Mb cache
DirectX 9 installed
Win 98 SE

Nothing running on the machine but explorer, systray and microstudio
Speed sel is on auto both r/w
jitter is off
cache is on
Burn Proof on

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also when I play CDG instead of full screen I get a tiny screen
showing up in the left hand corner (Is that normal?)

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Hall
Halls of Magic Entertainment
Old January 28th, 2003, 12:12 AM

Kevin,

Just try this to see if you have a speed writing problem.

On MicroStudio Click the “Drives Tab”, then click on “Speed Selection” on “Reading Drive” uncheck “Auto Select” and choose 8x – on “Writing Drive” uncheck “Auto Select” and choose 6x.

Try it and see what happens.

If you get a tiny screen when playing a CDG, just double click inside the blue screen and you should get full screen.

Good luck

Jon
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Try going to the thread in this forum identified below and try using solution #2. Make certain to follow the procedure step by step, and switch to "Default Drivers".

See if this helps.

George

Here is the Link to the post about the ASPI Drivers: http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?threadid=493

Last edited by George; January 30th, 2003 at 03:32 PM.
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Kevinjanet,
George is correct about trying the other ASPI Drivers. You can also read solution #1 which will tell you how to find out if you do indeed have the new ASPI Drivers installed or if the old one stayed on your system.

Here is how to find out what the actual MTU installed driver is:

Go to the Start Menu, Left click on Search, For Files and Folders. Type in the filename wnaspint.dll (for Windows 2000 and XP) or wnaspi9x.dll (for 98 or ME). Tell the Search to Look In the C:\ drive. Then click Search. These files should be found under the C:\Windows\System32 directory. Once the file shows up on the right hand side of the search window, Right Click on the filename, Left Click Properties, Left Click the Version Tab. Then left click the Product Version at the bottom Left hand side. This should then show V1.16 or higher. If it shows V 1.14 then, DELETE this file by pressing the Delete key, and then install the MTU drivers located at the link below.

Here is the Link to the post about the ASPI Drivers: http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?threadid=493
Old January 30th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Unhappy same problem

I'm experiencing the same problem. I loaded 2.4 up on Friday and the first 2 came off very well. Then the 3rd came up with a Microstudio error box saying "Error. WRITE comand failed on device 0:1:0 Insufficient resources to initialize ASPI manager".

Support does not seem to have an answer save for the standard "change your ASPI". I've tried all this and it doesn't work.

Further, in an e-mail to me, they said they had this problem come up on one of their system test computers and could not correct it. Their recomendation if the aforementioned fixes didn't work, reformat your computer.

After it I get the error, it hangs trying to to the delete of the temp file. I then have to reset the computer, shut it down and start it a second time to have the computer running smoothly again. If I shut it down after doing 1 copy, I can repeat this process (start up, copy, shut down) without the freeze up.

But I wish they had a real solution.
Old January 30th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Smile See if any of these help

Papatubby,

Please try to be a bit more specific.

Which CDROM do you have?
Which operating system are you using?

In the meantime, make sure you are not using any other programs while burning. Disable screen savers, any virus checkers or any other programs that may start up while burning the CD.

Make sure that you have “Auto Insert Notification” disabled. You also may be using low quality media, try a different brand of CDs. Some media simply don’t work too well with certain recorders.

See if you can burn a CD with your CDR software, NOT with MicroStudio

If that works, you may have a corrupted set of ASPI drivers.

Try burning at a lower speed (1 or 2x) to see if that helps

Finally run the DXDIAG.exe program and email the results to MTU Support.

Good luck,

Jon
Old January 30th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Talking Default Drivers Solved Problem

Sorry,
My original reply somehow didn't make it on this thread. I had already loaded the ASPI drivers earlier but had never selected the "use default drivers" option before. When I did, the computer stopped hanging.

This is confusing to me because the 2.400 release is supposed to automatically have the latest ASPI drivers internally. So what ASPI drivers is microstudio actually using when you select the
"MTU supplied drivers" option?

Is there anyway to tell (Diag tool or something) just what drivers micostudio is using?

Thanks to every one for their suggestions!

Kevin Hall
Halls of Magic Entertainment
www.hallsofmagic.com
Old January 31st, 2003, 09:08 AM

Talking

Bravo! I restored my system back to where it was after the original install, changed my ASPI selection to 'Default' and have been copying away since.

Thank you KevinJanet.

To MTU Support - Take note of this. Before you make folks jump through all these hoops of changing drivers, system backups and restores, tell others with this problem, simply, to try the default setting.
Old January 31st, 2003, 09:37 AM

You've got to install the correct set of default drivers per instructions #2 in the posts above, if they are not already there, before you can select them.

George
Old January 31st, 2003, 10:05 AM

2.4 does fix this issue, but if your ASPI driver doesn't get overwritten then this problem will still be there. This is why on the ASPI drivers post, I tell you how to search for the wnaspint.dll or wnaspi9x.dll to find out if you have the correct version installed. This is probably why most people still are having problems, so I tell you to delete it and rinstall MTU's ASPI drivers.