MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 21st, 2003, 09:02 PM

2.400 upgrade

I am trying to install version 2.400 on my computer. I save the download to the desktop and the Icon appears there. I try uninstall on 2.315 and it will not remove that program. It acts as if it is uninstalling but the icon in the add /remove programs is still there.

So I installed 2.400 anyway. When I click on the microstudio icon the program starts, then I click on about microstudio and it still shows version 2.315. Is this normal? Is 2.400 installed?

As usual I'm confused....any input?
Old January 21st, 2003, 09:40 PM

Flipper,

To do an uninstall of your old version before you install the new one go to "start" + "settings" + "control panel" and click on the add/remove programs icon... find the program you want to uninstall and click on it.

Once you install the new version, open MicroStudio, click the help tab and then "about MicroStudio" It'll show the new version number.

Good luck

Jon
Old January 21st, 2003, 10:48 PM

John - That is exactly what I did. Start+Control Panel+Add/Remove Programs, then I selected Microstudio and Clicked on Remove.

It went through the process of uninstalling but it wont uninstall. Version 2.315 is still there. I know it sounds wierd but its true.
Normally when I use add/remove programs it deletes the programs with no problems. Microstudio's Icon remains intact.

When I install 2.400 it shows that it is installed and then I click on the microstudio icon on my desktop and then click help and about microstudio and it says version 2.315.

The other thing that is weird is that the help manual is not available within microstudio when it is open. I must access it through my computer.

Anyway my main problem with burning is taken care of..now if I can just figure out how to get 2.400 to install I will be fine.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 01:34 AM

Flipper,

Which operating system are you running?

Regarding you not finding the manual when MicroStudio is open, in my computer the manual is where is supposed to be and that is in the help tab. When you click on the help tab there should be a tab that says "Read Manual"

Perhaps it was deleted when you ran the unistall.

Please let me know your operating system.

Regards,

Jon
Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Question I suspect your Windows installatiion is wrong

Flipper, everything you are reporting is non-standard operation. Microstudio 2.315 will uninstall through the Add/Remove Programs or through the Microstudio 2.400 Install program and first run Uninstall.

If this is not working, then there is something wrong with your Windows and you may need someone technical to determine what it is.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:41 AM

Flipper,
It sounds like you have issues with your Registry to me. The reason that you say that you can't uninstall the program under Add/Remove programs is that it is unable to locate a certain peice in the registry to uninstall it correctly. Also, the fact that when you click on the Read Manual button under the Help menu of Microstudio without anything happening states a registry issue also. The registry entry telling Microstudio where the manual is installed is not working correctly.

What I would try is reboot the computer. Then try to remove the program again, if it still won't remove then Install 2.400 into a different directory than C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio. Try chaning this installation folder to C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio2400. Then see if it will install the program into this directory. Try using the Icon to see if it still shows Microstudio 2.315 or if it shows 2.400. If it still shows 2.315 then go to the Directory C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio2400 under Windows Explorer and then double click on the Microstudio.exe file. Then check the Help Menu\ About for the version.

If Microstudio 2.400 sees that Microstudio 2.315 or earlier is installed on the computer, then it will give you the options to Repair, Modify or Remove. If you get these options then you must first select Remove, allowing it to do so. Then reboot the computer. Run the installation again and this time it will ask you for your Email and Serial number to unlock the program. Then this means that it worked correctly.

Let me know what you find.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM

Jon - Operating System is XP. We are talking the same lingo just a different method of getting to the control panel on XP. I dont go thru settings.

MTU Support - Tried moving 2.400 into a different directory as you instructed. Reinstalled it. Clicked on Microstudio icon and then on help tab, then on about microstudio. Still shows 2.315.

I have never had a upgrade download that did not link itself to the old version.

I have never had a program not respond to the uninstall in add/remove programs.

I'm kinda lost.